bjorklo

Top Force'ish Runner

TOPFORCELOGO_zps26f5f83f.png

So after seeing all the builds going on now related to the DF-01 Chassis I thought just as well that I should finally build me a DF-01 runner. I could have made Terra Conqueror, but the Top Force body are more my style. I do have a box of parts, and 2 1/2 donor cars, that I meant to use as a runner project.

This is one of my donor cars

20140930_211514_zpsabrzhotk.jpg

The first thing I started with was thinking that I wanted carbon fiber front and rear shock towers so I took my Top Force from the shelf and used the shock towers from it as a template.

20140930_145156_zpszisuq1wl.jpg

Then I drew the shock towers onto the carbon fiber

20140930_150413_zpsimrxlkos.jpg

After doing this, I suddenly remembered that I do have a Top Force Evolution and that one has other towers, so..

20140930_203255_zps0btxin22.jpg

20140930_203838_zpsvria6pkf.jpg

20140930_205344_zpsip7te4oe.jpg

After some cutting with my Dremel saw and some sanding with my Dremel

20141001_113206_zpszeq4j3uh.jpg

Then some more fine adjustments (I did do even more adjustments after this picture)

20141001_113418_zpsjztingue.jpg

I wanted to remove the plastic for holding the speed servo and MSC and replace it with a carbon fiber upper deck.

20141001_121146_zpsswdz1wmn.jpg

When I built my hop-up Terra Conqueror I did buy 3 tree's of these, just knowing that I would get use for em some day.

20141001_114508_zpsfxfpk67l.jpg

This time i used the upper deck from the Top Force because I didn't want to risk scratching or something like that on the Evolution upper deck

20141001_121118_zpsb4ho2trj.jpg

In order to be able to mount it, i decided to cut the standard upper deck

20141001_121855_zpsyotatgdf.jpg

It will look like this when mounted, I also made a carbon fiber part to fit in the standard upper deck

20141001_145236_zps2gapbmkn.jpg

20141001_145848_zpsbjcuy04x.jpg

Then I just had to test mount the shock towers

20141001_145843_zps6nxk5e3r.jpg

Then I couldn't resist testing the body also

20141001_145643_zpszq3sawv2.jpg

I forgot to mention that, I'm still not sure if I will be using these gear box's or not, will need to see status on them first. I might use the red one's if they are ok.

So i got some time today to continue on my Top Force runner, most of the work went into the front suspension.

I bought this Terra Conqueror from fellow TC member Klausen, just becuase of the wheels i will use on my shelf queen Terra Conqueror. There is allot of nice parts on this chassis, so i decided to use this one as a starter point for my project.

20141002_121350_zps5wpkcj2z.jpg

I was thinking a bit about cutting in the chassis to fit the original part to mount the upper deck onto, but after closer inspection it shows that it will be a bit wobbling, since the diameter on the poles are a bit less then in the mount

20141002_121719_zpscqyymc12.jpg

The red gear box on the Terra was no good, so that one I can't use

20141002_123728_zpsc5jngful.jpg

I then had a look on the other donor car and it didn't look to good that one either since previous owner had done some cutting. That said it do still feel strong, so I will mount a engine cooler to cover up some of the cutting.

20141002_124041_zpsl9i92mgl.jpg

Started mounting the shock tower

20141002_124400_zps9r0sinrr.jpg

Realized that the carbon fiber i have used for making the shock tower is a bit thicker than original, so i did have to do a little cutting into the gear box.

20141002_130232_zpstbykx33q.jpg

Found a bag with red adjusters i have saved until the correct time to use em, and now is that time :-)

20141002_132550_zpsqtwgvhml.jpg

Took the uprights from one of the donor cars, and fitted em with ball bearing

20141002_134106_zpsxrviuoju.jpg

This is how the front look like now

20141002_135415_zpsmqlqktxo.jpg

Did fit the servo also with high speed servo saver, but this made me have to mount the servo a little bit longer back, but i think that will not be any trouble

20141002_141553_zpsjh0qunms.jpg

That's it for today!

Arghhhh!!!

You stole my idea of top carbon fiber deck!!!

Repent! Repent!!!

:D

Max

PS: Do you sell the aluminum shocks of your donor TA-02?

20141001_145843_zps6nxk5e3r.jpg

Arghhhh!!!

You stole my idea of top carbon fiber deck!!!

Repent! Repent!!!

:D

Max

PS: Do you sell the aluminum shocks of your donor TA-02?

He he, sorry about that, i didn't see that you were thinking about making one before afterwards I had made mine

about the shocks, not sure i want to sell them yet, since i might want to make a road car.

I need more info on how you made that CF plate, how you cut it out, where you got it from, what thickness you chose and why!

I must know everything!!!

*Scratches chin and thinks about TA03 chassis plates in the future...."

I don't get it - what's the point of the upper deck?

Increased bracing between the gear cases ?

• Like 1

I can't believe the tub can flex enough for that to be an issue, surely?

Yeah it's like Percymon say's. Well the back wall of the chassis is not that strong, the original "upper deck" do make some support for it. Since I don't want to use the standard "upper deck"I must make another upper deck. So it's basically a question of looks :P

I need more info on how you made that CF plate, how you cut it out, where you got it from, what thickness you chose and why!

I must know everything!!!

*Scratches chin and thinks about TA03 chassis plates in the future...."

I used this Dremel saw to do the cutting of the CF and a regular Dremel

saw.jpg

The CF plate I bought some time back from a company on eBay, but I can't remember who, but I must find out since I need more :-)

It's 3mm thick, i choose this thickness because that is close to what Tamiya uses.

OK, but I have to ask - why not make a lower deck too? You've obviously got some skills in the CF department! :)

But I think I already know the answer - the tub is much better for running/bashing...

For the lower deck one needs the illustrious J parts (that have run out a couple of month ago) and the alloy mounting posts. (even harder to get except if you have a lathe)

• Like 1

Loving the DF-01 threads of late. Especially all the upgrades and custom stuff. ^_^

Having similar plans with some great quality FRP plate I got from Masterplatex a while back.

They're on eBay as well (I bought from their webshop)...

http://tinyurl.com/masterplatex

• Like 1

OK, but I have to ask - why not make a lower deck too? You've obviously got some skills in the CF department! :)

But I think I already know the answer - the tub is much better for running/bashing...

For the lower deck one needs the illustrious J parts (that have run out a couple of month ago) and the alloy mounting posts. (even harder to get except if you have a lathe)

There is two reasons why i didn't make the lower deck also, first i don't have more Carbon fiber :-) and second is the reason is what waterbok points out. But you got a point gruntfuggly, the standard chassis will be good enough for bashing.

Today I managed to get a rolling chassis, did some work with the rear suspension and the gearbox.

The gears form the Terra Conqueror was allot of sand in, so i decided to use the gears from the TA-02 car.

20141003_102107_zps4rdh2s1a.jpg

What is this white grease that have been used inside this gearbox?

20141003_113510_zpskomfvwll.jpg

All Cleaned up and re-greased

20141003_120717_zpsdcnzrbc5.jpg

Used the tip from Kontemax how to reinforce the top cover of the gearbox

20141003_121525_zpsjgmkinx3.jpg

A pleasant surprise from the TA-02 donor, a alu motor mount

20141003_113112_zpsqyc6vhrk.jpg

Realizing that I had done a little mistake when I made the rear shock tower I had to make a solution to mount the reinforcement the tower

20141003_112634_zpspx8kel0b.jpg

I then made the mount for the adjuster

20141003_125006_zpsn9lmesil.jpg

When I was mounting the rear shock tower i noticed a crack in one of the mounts :( I'm going to use the gearbox until it breaks and change it then

20141003_125440_zpspvcg34ul.jpg

With the reinforcement mounted

20141003_131302_zpses8rufqq.jpg

overview picture

20141003_133421_zpsyocoyc0z.jpg

Since i don't want to mount the on off switch in the original place I made a CF plate to close the hole

20141003_113046_zps0uicq9ms.jpg

Finished mounting the rear suspension

20141003_135118_zpsldxz7qow.jpg

I borrowed the dampers of one of mine TRF 501X, and then I have myself a rolling chassis

20141003_144526_zpsha1aml5q.jpg

20141003_144535_zpsnmawgtvi.jpg

20141003_144540_zpsrnyn3nx0.jpg

One last picture with the body on

20141003_144600_zpsxfkyri5l.jpg

the plan now is to make stablizator both front and rear, if I got the parts I need for doing so. If I can think of anything else cool, i might try to incorporate that into the car.

• Like 1

That looks awesome!

You had me looking at Scroll Saws with your fancy CF work, I must say I'm tempted to invest in one. I just need a man-shed to keep it all in now...

• Like 1

That looks awesome!

You had me looking at Scroll Saws with your fancy CF work, I must say I'm tempted to invest in one. I just need a man-shed to keep it all in now...

You should just go for it and get one :P

Looks awesome. Really like the wheels/tyres combination!

Are you going to leave it without a wing? The TF body looks a little bit odd without it (IMHO)...

Looks awesome. Really like the wheels/tyres combination!

Are you going to leave it without a wing? The TF body looks a little bit odd without it (IMHO)...

Thanks!

Nope gonna mount the wing, because as you say, it looks a bit odd without it.

With this brace you will not break the gearbox tower mount, even if it's already lined and/or broken.

Used the tip from Kontemax how to reinforce the top cover of the gearbox

A pleasant surprise from the TA-02 donor, a alu motor mount

20141003_131302_zpses8rufqq.jpg

the plan now is to make stablizator both front and rear, if I got the parts I need for doing so. If I can think of anything else cool, i might try to incorporate that into the car.

I also made front stabilizer for TA-01 chassis. Doesn't exist an official or third brand option part so it's all DIY.

Max

• Like 1

With this brace you will not break the gearbox tower mount, even it is already lined and/or broken.

I also made front stabilizer for TA-01 chassis. Doesn't exist an official or third brand option part so it's all DIY.

Max

That sounds promising, max :-)

Will have a look on your DIY front stabiliser, and see if I can copy it.

You can find it here but...

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=124549&id=24

... will you able enough to make it better than mine? Eheheheh! This is a challenge! :D :D :D :D :D

Max

Hehe, well looking on your version I'm not so sure that i can Do it any better than you, it looks stock as it's meant to be there.. Will have to give it a bit of thinking :-)