Sign in to follow this  
Pintopower

Tamiya Tank Electronic Controllers and LiPos 7.4V packs - Compatible?

Hey guys, I think I know the answer to this but before I blow up something expensive, I wanted some advice. The stock Tamiya electronic tank controller in my tank predates LiPo batteries. Save for me adding a lower power cut off, will the controller be ok running a LiPo considering the slightly higher voltage? I have a HiLux with the tamiya light, sound and vibration kit from 2007 which has no issues so I assume the same for the tank controller but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

It is not uncommon to see a terminal voltage (open circuit voltage) in excess of 8.4 Volts when a 6 cell NiCd or NiMh battery pack has completed charging, so I seriously doubt that there would be an issue using a 2S / 7.4Volt LiPo..

To protect against over discharging the LiPo in the tank though, I would use a Low Voltage alarm..

It is not uncommon to see a terminal voltage (open circuit voltage) in excess of 8.4 Volts when a 6 cell NiCd or NiMh battery pack has completed charging, so I seriously doubt that there would be an issue using a 2S / 7.4Volt LiPo..

To protect against over discharging the LiPo in the tank though, I would use a Low Voltage alarm..

Thanks for your confirmation of what I thought. I installed the LiPo's and all was well in tank world.