Avante2001R

Preventing tyres from disintegration?

Hi all, several of my vintage cars have been in dry storage for the past 20 years cars such as Top Force With spire spike tyres, vintage Egress and DynaStorm cars have all suffered total tear of the tire from the side walls.

I have taken on the task to get them a restored not only for the tyres but all other items that were not replaced from when I used to drive and race them.

What's the best way to prevent the new sets from ending up the same in some years to come?

Drive them and replace when worn. ;-) that way no time to crack

Glycerine. Or Talco powder.

Anyway don't mount the new tires on your models. Grease them with Glycerine and left them into the plastic package.

If you don't like the Glycerine leave the tires in the package, trow inside some Talco powder, close tha package and shake.

Any thing you decide, left the tires in the closed packages and store them in a closed box.

The two elements that ruins the rubber are sunrays and air.

Max

I've brought old, dry tyres back too life by rubbing them with silicone grease and then putting them into a ziplock bag with more silicone oil for a week or two. They came out supple and shiny again as they absorb some of the silicone. They don't take long to loose the shiny gloss look on the outside.