njmlondon

White wheels for a Rough Rider / FAV?

I want to put some Rough Rider wheels on my Scorcher but I really want to have white ones.

In an ideal world I would have white-powedercoated alloy ones. There is a certain quality that metal wheels with powdercoat have over white plastic ones.

But I cannot find any white wheels in this size that can fit, plastic or metal!

Does anybody have any ideas? I really do not want to just paint the standard RR wheels because in my experience painted wheels look pretty bad very quickly.

Correct me if im wrong, but dont the rough rider front tires fit on sand scorcher front rims?? The rough rider rear tires might need a stretch to fit on wider sand scorcher rears, ( might be able to trim them down in a lathe??) Or if you get your hands on some of the CNC alloy rims out there, and give them a light tickle with the media blaster, and then a proper etch prime, you can paint them with 2pak to look just a good as if they were powder coated.

Rough rider rims are 1.7's, sand scorcher rims are 1.5's. I've heard of people stretching 1.5's on 1.7's but the opposite wouldn't work I'm sure!

You could cut the Rough Rider tyres down to suit the White Scorcher wheels/rims....

You could cut the Rough Rider tyres down to suit the White Scorcher wheels/rims....

I think that is the wrong way round... the RR tires have a 1.7" hole in the middle and the Scorchers a 1.5"... what I would need to do is add 0.2" of rubber to a RR tire!

If you clearcoat the paint on the rims, severeal layers until it's really smooth, then the dirt will stay off, and it wont flake.

That is, within reason of course. But if they ever get that bad, just paint another set, it's not that hard to do.

If one paint them badly so they are rough to the touch, dirt will attract quicly. I thought powder coating only worked on metal? Dont they use electricity on the part to make it magnetic to attract the powder? Perhaps someone could chime in on that.

I suggest to paint the RR wheels with PS white paint.

The PS paint should melt with the plastic surface of the wheels.

This means that it should be stronger than any other TS paint and give the correct semi gloss look.

It can be used also like a primer for other layer of other paints and colors.

My experience.

Max

I think that is the wrong way round... the RR tires have a 1.7" hole in the middle and the Scorchers a 1.5"... what I would need to do is add 0.2" of rubber to a RR tire!

Ummm no, I'm quite sure that I have it the right way around..

A wheel that is only 1.5 inches or 38mm in diameter will fall straight through the centre of a tyre that has a 1.7 inch, or 43.2mm hole.. You will need to remove a bit from the tyre to make the hole in the centre smaller to suit the 1.5 inch rim/wheel.

Here is a video on how to do it..

and

Thanks for. The kind words. These are a complete wheel cover that come in white. I'd recommend painting them bright white for best results.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

3ab3da2aebf58bde60c04168f94e7afd.jpg

I'm another fan of these wheel covers for the 1.7 wheels - they really are excellent... and of course you can always paint them all scabby so it doesn't matter if they get scratched ;o)

P1010592_zpsa9803db7.jpeg

Jx

• Like 1