So I'm thinking of building my wild willy as a street only rig. I've got the HPI monster ss 5 spokes and Pro Line Speed Hogs from my first wild willy sitting on the new one right now. I want to slam it down to a minimal ride height. Just moving the shocks around puts the control arms at a silly angle, of course. So I'm thinking of making new arms or new hubs to hold the axles up higher. In the kit is what I suspect to be the fwd hubs.I wonder if I can fiddle with those to make them into rear hubs. I know pics will help. But I'm not home right now.

Has anyone else turned a wild willy into a lowrider?

Are you referring to the WW1 or wr02 one? I'm doing a WW1 m38 one at the moment, it requires some modifying of the suspension arms and the chassis tub. I'll put some pictures up when I get taken off the moderator que...........if ever.

I'm thinking you'd be better off fitting the body onto another chassis, perhaps an M chassis? I shorted a TL01 to fit a WW2 body, I wasn't trying to go for a low rider look I just wanted a little more scale look and 4x4 (this was long before the GF01).

703B4012-1800-43CB-B413-6325B1F9F2F8-235

7611D3E4-BA0A-4267-B883-3F35312545D8-235

2D3F90F8-DAE8-45DB-96B5-2FD1A8B96F30-235

• Like 4

Being better off isn't on my to do list. I just look at a wild willy a lot like a lunchbox. You can't change too much before you ruin its character. I enjoy the engineering challenge of modifying the thing to a certain vague point only I can see.

I've also often thought of using a wild willy gearbox and a lunchbox axle to make a 4x4 Willy. The gf01 selfishly ruined that idea.

• Like 1

Being better off isn't on my to do list. I just look at a wild willy a lot like a lunchbox. You can't change too much before you ruin its character. I enjoy the engineering challenge of modifying the thing to a certain vague point only I can see.

I'm of the same opinion, it's good to do a modification, be it subtle or a bit more extreme, and have people looking at it and wondering if it's factory or not. The easy way isn't always the most fun or rewarding.

I now know you're talking about a WR02 conversion, can you be habit more elaborate as to how low 'low' is?

I set it on a barstool and with no shocks, the front is fine, but in the rear, the lowest part of the diff housing touches the ground.

So I'm thinking to raise the rear maybe 1/4" of the floor and raise the front to make it level.

I was at the local road course yesterday where they run Jatos on pavement. They are slammed, but as I mentioned in my original post, the control arms are at ridiculous angles. And the geometry issues rear their ugly heads as the things stutter their way through the corners at speed

There is adjustable parts that fit the WR02, TL01 parts I think. Are you going to lower body over chassis as well?

Here's my WW2 low rider, still a work in progress.

willysgang023_zpsc23fbdc1.jpg

Here's the adjustable ally suspension. You can just make out the top arms

willysgang024_zpse559d84d.jpg

• Like 2

I share Nodtec's concern about the hight of the body over the WR-02 chassis - unless you are able to cut away some of the interior (which is a shame)... although I can see where' you're going if you've dropped the chassis on the suspension, as the effect will be the wheels are closer to the shell now anyway...

edit. after reading the OP again, I can see how you might not want to change the character of the original vehicle too much so you may want to disregard the following... but fwiw. I built a more 'scale' WW2 on a 1/18th HPI Mini Recon chassis, and that way you can mount the body as low as you like around the wheels... it's a fast little booger too!

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70548&hl=

Jx

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I'll be doing the body down too. But not at the expense of butchering it.

Yeah, Jenny. I read your thread. I like what you did. I've actually wanted to build a bit of a scaler out of a Willy too, but just can't seen to get past the loss of the Willy's character that's required to do that.

The loss of the Willys' character? Like friction dampers and a rear-mounted battery? Oversized tires? Or are you talking front swing-axle suspension and rigid rear axle with pivoting motor? I am just unsure what part of Willy's character is lost with another chassis...

Change the chassis on a Willy or a Lunchbox and nothing is left but the body. Like my Clod, there's nothing left of the original truck but the axles.

I'm not busting on anyone else's build. I know I'm a goof.

I'm also stopping my Lunchbox super build cause the crp front end mod suddenly bothers me.

My Willy is getting different wheels, tires, shocks... and a lowered stance. It's not going off-road. The hard body has almost everything to do with that.

That makes sense - I know there is a manufacturer that makes slicks and street tires for the existing Wild Willy 2 wheels, but that will not do much to lower the stance... Best of luck with the build!

I've got Pro Line Speed Hawgs on HPI monster ss rims. That part is settled. My eBay G Made 62mm shocks showed up yesterday.

I'll be back at this build soon

To me, the character comes not so much from the chassis or shell, but from the driver. With his comical proportions and determined expression, Willy is a Tamiya icon that lends an air of fun to any model he drives, be it a WW1, WW2, Willy's Wheeler, or any of the many other Tamiya or even non-Tamiya builds we have seen him in over the years.

So, if you have Willy at the wheel, I am sure your project will be fun and characterful no matter what the ride height. :D

My first ww2 used a wrestler action figure for a driver. Angry, screaming, and flowing molded hair. I found scale-ish beer cans at the craft store and siliconed them everywhere. Driver had one in his hand too.

I'm thinking you'd be better off fitting the body onto another chassis, perhaps an M chassis? I shorted a TL01 to fit a WW2 body, I wasn't trying to go for a low rider look I just wanted a little more scale look and 4x4 (this was long before the GF01).

703B4012-1800-43CB-B413-6325B1F9F2F8-235

7611D3E4-BA0A-4267-B883-3F35312545D8-235

2D3F90F8-DAE8-45DB-96B5-2FD1A8B96F30-235

Think you did a great job with this Jeep. Have you finished it? Is there a specific tread for it to be seen?

ok follow my thinking here . if you can fit a Pumpkin onto a M chassis then surely its not that hard to do the same with a Willy ?????????

(mongoose1983 wrote

Think you did a great job with this Jeep. Have you finished it? Is there a specific tread for it to be seen?)

Not done a build thread but I will pull some photos together and do one when I get around to finishing it. I was about to do that but the Winter Build-off got in the way :)

This chassis was last seen under this :D