Sign in to follow this  
xjannex

Original Monster Beetle restoration

I took my original Monster Beetle out from the storage room. It must have been unused for 20 years or more. Seems like the battery pack, motor and servos are all working. It has some parts missing though. I wander if I could use re-released Monster Beetle spare parts? How is the gearbox in the new Monster Beetle? Since I remember that the original had problems with differential gears holding together. Also what would be the recommended upgrades? I looking the bearings in the front wheel, is there closed ball bearing that could be used for replace the original plastic part.

Here are some photos of the project:

http://xfix****upx.tumblr.com

post-45713-0-29490500-1455298586_thumb.j

I have just restored my original Blackfoot and used a number of re-re MB parts. Unfortunately the gearbox is the same, the only real difference is they replaced the hex shafts with dog bones, which is a worth while upgrade

Welcome to the club! Everyone is still having issues with the new gearbox, but moreso the new monster beetle has CVD's which have been problematic for quite a few people here, making the wheels wobble. You can replace your original hex driveshafts with the Frog rerelease dogbones.

I would buy some new differential gears (the metal ones) a bearing kit for the whole truck, and make sure the gearbox side plates havent warped.

Also you may/may not be up for a new battery (it may go, but it may not give the performance it used to) and depending on the charger (if you have leads or a timed charger) I would consider replacing that. That would be the basics. You might want to consider an ESC to replace the mechanical speed control too if you are going to run it regularly.

95% of the parts are the same between the original and rerelease, mainly the shocks, body and decals are the main difference.

• Like 1