Sign in to follow this  
ChrisRx718

The Build RC (R2Hobbies rebranded)

I posted a topic a while back after R2Hobbies changed from their old site to a new layout which suggested they were makign a comeback after ceasing from trading earlier in the year.

The new site - http://thebuildrc.com/ - seems to carry loads of the same old stock lines.

I will assume (though it's not obvious) that they still operate out of Belgium. A lot of negativity online about these guys, since they openly distribute counterfeit / copied parts. I will say that the quality is not that great from my experience, but the customer service has been rather good historically - emailing me immediately when a certain colour is out of stock and asking me what my preference was.

There's also this -

http://thebuildrc.com/brands/dean-tech/d9-bulldog-1-10-front-engine-rc-drift-car-combo.html

The 'D9 Bulldog' drift chassis / car. I'm still getting my head around it - but doesn't it look ace?

I feel a 'testing the water' order coming on...

I know nothing about that site... but that chassis looks fascinating! I love designs that mimic the structure of 1:1 cars, and it's good to see an on-road car that isn't just a slab or two of fiberglass or graphite with tall body posts sticking up. And are those actually McPherson struts in front? Very cool. The only way it could be better is if it had roof structure, like a "true" unibody. (And if it were 1/2 to 1/3 the price.)

Yea, the price is kind of prohibitive for me. I'm also not sure whether it includes a body or not? It doesn't seem obvious. I love the intake stacks!

Would really suit an AE86 Corolla - inline 4, rwd...

Just thought I'd update this since I put a purchase in at the-build RC a couple of weeks back. Parcel arrived in 8 working days, incredibly well packaged (bodyshell and stickers). Quality is good IMO, it's a Matrixline bodyshell but without that branding. Moulding is very good, almost better than the Tamiya offering (Mazda RX-7 FD3S) but not as crisp - certainly the proportions are a bit better - I found the Tamiya one can look a bit slab-sided, rather than the real-life car on which it is based.

In short: Recommended.

the wheels on the chassis look to small for it in the pics, be interesting to see if they look right when the build is done, and a painted body is on it