taliesin

Has anyone here made a GF-01 scaler / crawler?

Saw some rather fun videos of people making scaler/crawler rigs and banging a Jimny Wheelie body on a locked up GF-01. Surprisingly agile little beggars for an IFS limited travel chassis! Short wheelbase and grippy tires allow it to go places it wasn't designed for, that's for sure.

Just curious if anyone here has done it and has any feedback or suggestions for mods and hop-ups. Thinking about giving it a go when funding allows. Love to see pics or videos....

Mr. Tamiya made a scaler, he calls it a dump truck ;):P

I was thinkering with the scaler idea but now moved that over to the MF01 chassis.

IMG_20150806_012145.jpg

:D

Yeah, the MF-01x is going to be a huge hit with the scaler crowd - at least with the Tamiya nuts anyway. The chassis just begs to be modified for more scale performance, so that is pretty predictable. I plan on joining the crowd myself actually and have the upgrades and mods already in mind for when I get around to that project.

The real surprise was seeing the GF-01 all done up all rock crawler like and scaled out. Who came up with that idea anyway?? From a Wheelie to a Scale Crawler - who'da thunk it!? It's just so wrong that I think I like it. :blink:

Waterbok, that Datsun looks great on the MF-01. How did you mount the body?

Waterbok, that Datsun looks great on the MF-01. How did you mount the body?

Not yet mounted still work in progress. Guess I will be using Velcro but maybe magnets.

I have this nutty idea of taking a gf01 throwing on some RC4WD 1.9 Mud Basher tires and a Tumbling Bull body with Willy at wheel and finding some mud....

I have this nutty idea of taking a gf01 throwing on some RC4WD 1.9 Mud Basher tires and a Tumbling Bull body with Willy at wheel and finding some mud....

Like...

normal_100_5722.JPG

• Like 2

This is what gave me the idea. There are a few others at this same location, but this was the first one I saw. The Jimny part begins at 5:09 and the crawler part at the beginning is uninteresting (to me, anyway). I think I'm going to give this a shot, just for silliness.

TBH, I'm really surprised at how well it does on the rock. Crawler it ain't, and even as a scale rig it's a bit underwhelming - but I think I like it. So wrong, it's right??? :blink:

• Like 2

Yeah, oil shocks with soft oil and softer springs plus good tires with lead weights in the tires is just the trick.

I'm guessing it's just the ridiculously short wheel base that allows an IFS chassis to actually go up some of these slopes and obstacles. At first I was like, "you must be joking" but my jaw dropped when I saw some of the videos.

I love watching innovations like this - it didn't take very long either. This is a fairly new chassis and I'd never even thought of this combination. The MF-01 was a dead easy one to spot and it just begs to be modified for scaler duty, but the GF-01 was a shocker.

I have a GF01 and was looking to try something new. I also the vid and some others and am now gonna order me some 1.9 wheels and tires and go try "Easy Crawling".

Yes these chaps over at WW2Maniax have been doing it for a while.

Very innovative and a clever conversion. Their website and videos are good fun and watching them shows just what a great fun "crawler" the GF01 can be...

www.ww2maniax.com/ww2_page/ww2_top2.htm

Screenshot_2016-02-08-03-57-55-1_zpss5eo

• Like 1

I checked out their site, its times like these that I wish I could speak and read Japanese Fluently.

I did recognize a number of those trucks on the site from youtube vids though, so I know those are the guys who inspired my interest in a GF-01 scaler. I agree it was a very clever idea and that's what makes this hobby so interesting. You just never know what somebody will think of next - certainly this chassis never crossed my mind as a scaler/crawler until seeing what they had done with it.

Ha ha yeah being fluent in Japanese would be very handy with that site. I love the stuff they're doing with the WR02 and GF01 chassis and being able to read it would be fascinating but at least there are hundreds of pics to look at for inspiration.

Love this video! Shows what these little guys can do on scale appropriate terrain with a bit of careful driving. I'm not convinced that any of them except maybe the red FJ have any weight in the wheels at all - maybe not even that one.

• Like 2

What I'd really like to know is what parts are used for the front skids, bumpers and suspension parts. Can't quite see what replaces the stock GF-01 bumper and bumper mount. Got to be something that holds the U-clip in or that protects the hinge pins from getting destroyed.

Looks like maybe some homemade aluminum skids on some, but others ... maybe M-01 bumpers? TLT parts? Other?

Can't really find much info on how these are being fitted out and the best I can do is guess work from the videos and pictures. REALLY wish I could find a better translation from the WW2 Maniacs site. :(