Sign in to follow this  
XV Pilot

Green edition grasshopper

Unusually for me, I have two projects on the go at the moment. One is the FF-03 I bought as a new-built roller off Butler last year and am finally getting around to turning into a runner, and then other is this, a Candy Green edition Grasshopper that I received from my wife for Christmas.

DSC05461_zpsomqo0mep.jpg

Not much point in a build thread, as the chassis is identical to a standard Grasshopper. Mine is fitted with a TEU-105BK ESC, Spektrum SR201 RX and Acoms AS-17 servo, and is stock apart from a rubber-sealed bearing kit from RCbearings.co.uk.

DSC05463_zpsi0amk49d.jpg

The shell is moulded in light green plastic, which has been factory-painted with TS-52. The finish is superb - better than I could have achieved at home with a rattlecan that is for sure!

This afternoon I masked and sprayed the headlights, which came out quite well. Over the next couple of evenings I will be adding them and the decals. A workmate of mine who is a skilled Warhammer painter has kindly agreed to paint the driver figure, so that will wait a while longer. Judging by how he has painted his Warhammer models though, it'll be well worth the wait! :)

• Like 2

Great looking hopper. The green edt looks way better than the original white imo.

This is the colour the grasshopper should always have been. In the future I'll have a green grasshopper too. Look forward to the finished hopper.

Oh dear, can see another grasshopper purchase in the future, looks ace. :) Did you just use tape when masking the headlights? I struggle like mad to get the masking tape around without creases in it!

Oh dear, can see another grasshopper purchase in the future, looks ace. :) Did you just use tape when masking the headlights? I struggle like mad to get the masking tape around without creases in it!

Aye, I used tape - 5mm wide Tamiya masking tape. It is ever so slightly elastic, so goes round curves really well. I can thoroughly recommend it.

My Warhammer-painting colleague has finished my driver figure already, and an outstanding job he has done too!

DSC05510_zpsgcslj0qe.jpg

The flash photograph doesn't really do it justice - I will add a daylight one when I am next off duty during the daytime.

Hopefully I'll add more decals then too!

• Like 2

More decals have been added:

DSC05512_zpszbvnaymi.jpg

DSC05516_zpsxb7orjqw.jpg

Just the smaller sponsor's ones to go now!

• Like 3

None of my vehicles are complete shelfers, but this one will definitely fall into the "run seldom and gently" category. :)

Looks great👍

A grasshopper has always been on my to buy lost but seeing this and your black edition has moved it nearer to the top😀

• Like 1

Decals all done!

DSC05526_zpsykm8kxmh.jpg

DSC05532_zpsfvd9fdgz.jpg

I was in two minds as to whether to paint the cockpit bars black or not. In the end I decided to follow Sunnyjai's example and leave them green. I can always paint them at a later date if I change my mind.

• Like 1

And here it is with its friend:

Just found your post. Both cars look awesome. IMO Green looks best, then comes white, closely followed by black. Interesting that Tamiya kept the green decals for the green body,maybe the red-yellow-black looked good on the car?

The green edition Grasshopper was one of Tamiya's earlier special colour edition RCs, and I suspect they weren't sure how well it would sell, so didn't spend a great deal making it different to the original. The only thing different about it is the green shell.

With the more recent black edition, they seemed more confident about sales and thus more willing to spend money and effort making it different, hence the different decals, springs and wheels in addition to the black shell.

Want to get a GH but can't decide on colour. Was set on green but black looks very good too.

Want to get a GH but can't decide on colour. Was set on green but black looks very good too.

A tough choice indeed - and they look pretty good in standard white too... :)