Sign in to follow this  
Smidsy

Black edition grasshopper

Just ordered myself one of these. Should be here sometime this week.

Craig

One of the things that got me into the hobby in general was finding the old Tamiya advert for the grasshopper on youtube. Perfect little kit to actually run and enjoy in my opinion. They are just so inexpensive and simple to throw together, and can handle quite a bit of abuse... I'm going to buy a re-release grasshopper now.

Just ordered myself one of these. Should be here sometime this week.

I've just bought one of these, personally I think they look great, really like the different colour scheme.

Are you painting your shell or just leaving it as is and applying decals to it?

For a runner I'd recommend leaving it unpainted - it is far easier to rectify any minor scratches or scuffs that way, and you can get a really nice shine on the plastic with a bit of polish and elbow grease. That is the approach I took with mine:

DSC05392_zpsvgzyputd.jpg

DSC05393_zpsevluuogh.jpg

DSC05394_zpsu02937vf.jpg

• Like 3

That looks lovely xvpilot!

Is it all standard apart from I think I can see it is ballraced?

:)

Thanks!

Yes, apart from rubber-sealed bearings throughout, it is a stock build.

I would purchase a black rere if I wasn't so prone to conpusivley running everything I build. I have to stick to the regular rere GH so I don't feel bad about it when it gets scuffed up. But yes, it looks fantastic! The white springs and neon wheels really add a good toutch to this kit.

• Like 1

Mine is a runner too:

DSC05434_zpsan6ermsz.jpg

It just gets carefully cleaned and polished after running before going back on the display shelf. :)

For a runner I'd recommend leaving it unpainted - it is far easier to rectify any minor scratches or scuffs that way, and you can get a really nice shine on the plastic with a bit of polish and elbow grease. That is the approach I took with mine:

DSC05392_zpsvgzyputd.jpg

DSC05393_zpsevluuogh.jpg

DSC05394_zpsu02937vf.jpg

What did you use to polish the body? As my kit has arrived and I was just looking at doing the painting first, whilst waiting for a more bits to arrive.

Craig

I started with Greygate Plastic Polish to remove mould lines and the inevitable slight swirls in the plastic from the injection process, then achieved the final shine with Turtle Wax Colour Magic black automotive polish.

I'm just looking at the body now. Some of the production marks , seem to go all the way through. I'm not sure if they will polish out or not. I'll get some good quality pics on my camera later to show you what I mean. Might have to go with painting it after all.

Craig

I know what you mean - mine had those too. At first I thought they were there to stay, but the Greygate sorted them out eventually.

Thats good. Had a feeling they wouldn't polish out. As it looks like they run through the entire thickness of the shell.

Craig :)

According to the manual, the yellow wheels aren't available as separate parts, just in the kit. The manual refers to the normal white wheels as replacement too.

However, as so often with "special colour" parts that aren't available from Tamiya, tamico.de actually has them in stock. I guess from split kits. Search "Grasshopper Felgen" at www.tamico.de

There was someone selling some of these on Ebay a while back. As I was looking at them for a Grashopper 2. Ill see if I can find them

Craig :)