Sign in to follow this  
Jamoflames

Wheels for tl01b type buggy

Hi there. I've nearly finished converting my Peugeot 406 tl01 to tl01b type buggy but I'm having trouble finding any wheels that fit other than the baja champ wheels which I'm not keen on. Please help ??

Most 4WD buggy wheels will fit, although quite a few will need a thinner hex at the rear due to being moulded from thicker plastic than the Tamiya items. Ansmann and Fastrax do quite a few different wheel and tyre sets that will fit.

I rather like the FTX wheelsets myself. Some say they are prone to cracking, but I haven't had any trouble with them myself since boiling them. My TL01B is currently running FTX Vantage wheels, Fastrax Turf Ripper tyres and metal hexes, 6mm at the front, 4mm at the rear.

Hummer/Pajero wheels & tyres look pretty good on it.

DSC00803.jpg

If you fit anything much larger than these (apx 90mm diameter) you'll probably have overheating issues.

• Like 1

Here is a pic of mine with the Vantage rims and Turf Rippers:

ht2_zps3mz5uw7b.jpeg

• Like 2

That's just what I was looking for. Thanks.they both look pretty cool.thanks for the links too percymon.i also had trouble finding shocks too,in the end I got tamiya low friction dampers 53155 as they were on the baja champ instructions as hop up options. After fitting them I think there a tiny bit short. The car doesn't quite bottom out.what are those you've got there xv pilot ? Does yours bottom out?

That's just what I was looking for. Thanks.they both look pretty cool.thanks for the links too percymon.i also had trouble finding shocks too,in the end I got tamiya low friction dampers 53155 as they were on the baja champ instructions as hop up options. After fitting them I think there a tiny bit short. The car doesn't quite bottom out.what are those you've got there xv pilot ? Does yours bottom out?

The ones in the photo are 55mm Ansmanns, and yes, the car does bottom out. They have since been replaced with black Abysma threaded units of the same length, that IMHO look neater and tie in better with the colour scheme.

I wanted road tyres on mine but I also have another set of the same wheels with off road tyres currently on their way to me. They are made by Absima.

10174939_10152077772896158_3143083170785

• Like 1

I've ordered the ftx vantage wheels.thanks for all the input....xv pilot.. I don't entirely understand what you mean about the hex blocks.do I need them for these wheels? (I looked at your pics of your collection.nice.i like the white truck.is that a tl01 chassis too)

The front and rear FTX wheels use a 12mm hex, same size as the stock Tamiya wheels. However the rear FTX wheels are moulded out of a thicker plastic than the Tamiya ones, meaning that if you mount them using the stock TL01B hexes, there isn't a whole lot of axle left poking out for you to put the wheel nut onto.

The easiest solution is to use thinner hexes at the back, which brings the wheels further in, which in turn leaves enough axle poking out for the wheel nut to screw all the way on to the locking portion.

The little white truck is based on a M04 chassis that has been fitted with TL01B suspension arms, white rear FTX Vantage wheels all round, and an ABC Genetic Nissan Sunny pickup shell. The truck is very light, and has surprisingly sprightly performance considering that it is running an ordinary Johnson.

The front and rear FTX wheels use a 12mm hex, same size as the stock Tamiya wheels. However the rear FTX wheels are moulded out of a thicker plastic than the Tamiya ones, meaning that if you mount them using the stock TL01B hexes, there isn't a whole lot of axle left poking out for you to put the wheel nut onto.

The easiest solution is to use thinner hexes at the back, which brings the wheels further in, which in turn leaves enough axle poking out for the wheel nut to screw all the way on to the locking portion.

The little white truck is based on a M04 chassis that has been fitted with TL01B suspension arms, white rear FTX Vantage wheels all round, and an ABC Genetic Nissan Sunny pickup shell. The truck is very light, and has surprisingly sprightly performance considering that it is running an ordinary Johnson.

White truck?!

20140426_062216_zpsro0ikogz.jpg

As you can see from the above pic, mine doesn't toe in at all up front, and only slightly at the back, which is normal. Which end is your toe worrying you?

Yes that's just what I'm gonna do,(threaded bar, good idea) that's odd that yours is so straight and mine toes in so much,same parts I'm guessing? All standard?

Maybe the two balls on the servo saver are further apart on yours? You could always use the next hole in on the steering arms - that would pull them in a bit...

Yes that's just what I'm gonna do,(threaded bar, good idea) that's odd that yours is so straight and mine toes in so much,same parts I'm guessing? All standard?

Yes, mine is using all standard TL01B plastics.

Yours is converted from a TL01, isn't it? Did you swap the touring car front hubs for buggy ones? If not, that would explain odd steering geometry...

At first I didn't notice the difference in the uprights and when I put it together it toed out about an inch, that baffled me for a few mins so yes they're the right ones now.could be the servo saver or the holes I'll check out of curiosity but I've ordered some threaded rods now.I think that's the way forward.