beefmuffin

Good into into brushless?

Hey wise ones. I've thus far stubbornly refused, or, just have not had any pressing opportunity to try a brushless ESC/motor setup in any of my cars.

I recently picked up one of those new brushed/brushless ESCs that come with the Neo-Frog and was poking around for brushless motors. But before I pull the trigger and have a disappointing experience I thought I'd bounce the question off u guys and see if anyone would recommend a good place to start trying brushless, that won't cost a ton or be cheap but disappointing and discourage me from trying anything else on the brushless menu.

I tend to prefer using Tamiya gear when it isn't ridiculously overpriced and under-good. Like the ADSPEC stuff... crazy overpriced!

So, should I just try that new ESC and pick up an entry level Tamiya brushless motor? Or should I bypass that, use the ESC brushed for something, and get a Mamba or Castle Creations or something setup?

LEARN ME, BOYS! AND GIRLS! MOSTLY BOYS!

BOEF

tdr73lj.png

• Like 1

I'm in a similar position beefmuffin so I'm very interested to hear people's advice about this.

Banzai hobby have the Tamiya brushless motors - the latest ESC is rated down to 12T, so plenty to chose from, prices ca $45-55 though

No experience with the Tamiya motors but if you're happy to buy a used one then there are always motors on eBay - bought a Losi Excelorin 13.5T this week for under a tenner posted, and i bought three speed passion motors of 13.5,17.5,21.5T a few weeks back for £25 posted the lot.

Don't forget you'll need a sensor cable of a suitable length for the layout of your chassis - again Banzai have them but they are a bit patchy on actual stock from experience. Loads on ebay though ;)

13.5T brushless is going to be somewhere near a sport tuned - not sure whtehr the new Tamiya ESC gives you options to adjust timing, drag brake etc etc or whetehr its just one profile (yet to hook mine up )

If you dont like overpriced but very good quality I will make a vote for Turnigy Trackstar motors at $30 and Hobbywing V2.1 esc`s at $99 for the 120a Version and $70 for the 90a version

• Like 1

I have been using etronix photon 12t system in my Durga and tt02 lancia the motor and esc combo were £70 they also work with nihm

i use a hobbywing turnigy ESC with a 9.5T Graupner in my TA04 and a Castle creations sidewinder combo in my Topforce. Now the castle creations is more expensive than the turnigy but the performance difference is significant.

Nowadays you can buy a speed passion entry level combo with programming card (reventon s esc, 3500kv sensorless motor, programmer) for $49, free shipping

Might be a nice start point, for a light car with no intention to break any speed record

The only thing is, a sensorless combo will not start from standstill as smooth as a brushed motor. For that you need sensored.

But you'll get power, battery time (brushless is much more energy efficient), low maintenance (only two bearings to take care off now and then)

Oh, and use only 2.4ghz radio with brushless

I started with a 9T EZRUN system, it was VERY fast compared to what I had before 19T decent quality brushed motor (peak racing sv2), I also have a castle system now, and although it has tons more torque, there isn't much difference in top speed, they are both around 4600 KV. And they are both still going strong after a few years constant bashing.

I was very happy with my introduction to brushless, go lipo as well, you will be amazed. :D :D

• Like 1

Nowadays you can buy a speed passion entry level combo with programming card (reventon s esc, 3500kv sensorless motor, programmer) for $49, free shipping

Might be a nice start point, for a light car with no intention to break any speed record

The only thing is, a sensorless combo will not start from standstill as smooth as a brushed motor. For that you need sensored.

But you'll get power, battery time (brushless is much more energy efficient), low maintenance (only two bearings to take care off now and then)

Oh, and use only 2.4ghz radio with brushless

I agree, the Speedpassion kits from RCMart are excellent value although I do find I'm wanting a sensored motor as I really don't like the jerky take up of drive! Need to start scanning eBay for some sensored motors.

I agree, the Speedpassion kits from RCMart are excellent value although I do find I'm wanting a sensored motor as I really don't like the jerky take up of drive! Need to start scanning eBay for some sensored motors.

or the classifieds on Oople ;)

• Like 1

I have been using etronix photon 12t system in my Durga and tt02 lancia the motor and esc combo were £70 they also work with nihm

I've used these, plus the one that came in my hpi sprint 2 flux and the performance differential against a silver can or a sports tuned is vast. I did find it was too much for my lunchie, but touring and buggies are great. Do it, you'll not regret!

• Like 1

I've been very happy with the EzRun combo's I've used. They're fast, powerful, (4000KV 8.5T motors) and I think, very good value. The 800KV turnigy motor I bought for the grapple skidder was nicely made, of good quality, and loads of torque. My only gripe was the motor holes not being threaded all the way through. Of course at 5674 size it's way too massive for a normal buggy, but if it representative of the quality I would buy another.

• Like 1

am i the only one that doesn't notice a jerk or stutter on an unsensored system or have I just been lucky? I have the ezrun 9t with the 60 amp esc and it has been faultless. I paid about £60 delivered but I think they are cheaper now. I'm looking at the trackstar ones now for other vehicles as as far as i'm aware they are the same.

• Like 2

Beef - plenty of advice up there already - all I'd say is that I went out on a limb and bought a cheapo EzRun combo several years ago and it worked. It worked so much better than the brushed motor and esc it replaced. I've also recently bought a speed passion reventon combo which also does the business. Brilliant value for money.

I agree with lentner too - never had a problem with unsensored...

• Like 2

The Tamiya esc that Beef has is sensored and can go to 9.5t (onroad)

I would get a 13.5 brushless sensored motor such as the turning track star mentioned, or the speed passion competition 3.0 which is £32 from a lot of uk retailers. You will also need a sensor cable (£3). Sensored systems are great, very smooth and precise.

I don't know why you have avoided it for so long? Brushless and lipo are the best things for all electric Rc that has happened in the last few years, great speed, reliability and run times.

It's also cheap..

Have fun, you'll never look back once you do it :)

• Like 1

I also recently purchased from Hobbyking a Turnigy TrackStar 8.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 3983KV $36.54 and Turnigy TrackStar 1/10th Scale 60A Car ESC Version 2 $29.26 for my Traxxas Bandit and Tamiya Durga. Very happy so far with the Turnigy build quality and with lipo the Bandit goes like a rocket. The motor wires do need soldering and I also soldered a deans plug on the ESC. Loads of videos on Youtube show how to solder RC connectors etc. It is also recommended to get the Turnigy Trackstar programing card which allows the settings to be changed in the ESC ($8). So for about $80 in total its good value. Once you go Brushless the Brushless bug will bite hard.

• Like 1

am i the only one that doesn't notice a jerk or stutter on an unsensored system or have I just been lucky?

Depending on your gearing, your esc, your battery, the cogging can be miminal or non existent, but you cannot creep slowly out of standstill

For bashing, sensorless is just fine, and you can look for a waterproof combo if you want to get wet

For crawling / trekking / drifting / scale driving, sensored is the way to go

• Like 1

I remember when I desided to og brushless. I had spent alot on my DF03, carbon chassis++ and had a Futaba 330 brushed esc and a fast Lrp 550 motor. I thought it was really fast! One day a friend bought a Traxxas 1/16 Vxl buggy and he was so much faster than me.. Ordered a Novak 8.5 and a 3cell esc the same day.

Brushless is king :)

• Like 2

I too am going to recommend the Turnigy Trackstar brushless set ups.

I have one in my DF03, an 8.5 with the 100amp esc.

The second trackstar 100amp esc with a Losi Xcelorin 10.5, I have is in my DT03

DT032023_zps65f3c46c.jpg

• Like 1

wow! so much great info everyone... thanks!

i'll definitely keep you all posted on what i try and my impressions. looks like others are interested in the topic for the same reasons as me... i really wish there was a good reliable way to rate all these options in one place. that's the biggest fail for ebay, as far as i'm concerned - no reviews! i buy almost everything non-R/C related on amazon, and the reviews are indispensable. when it comes to ebay, i have to search for hours and still am not confident i'm working with good info. which leads to this frustrating and costly trial-and-error approach!

The Hobbywing stuff is also well worth considering Ben, they manufacture for other companies like Speedpassion and Orion also, IMO their quality is outstanding. I've had and got some Hobbyking stuff which has been great, and well capable for runners, but for my race cars, I like the extra quality from the HW stuff.

Buy a Hobbywing combo, they are cheap and go hard. You won't go back. Makes brushed feel, well boring to be honest. You really have to hang on and concentrate with a brushless. They are especially fun in chassis that were never meant to go that fast :P.

I have only cooked one Hobbywing combo so far, a 13T 3S combo in an exo which is a pretty heavy car and i just put way too much wide open throttle through it, there was no mistaking that burning smell.

Cheers

go turnigy trackstar m8 alot of us budget racers are using them in uk for the price you get a lot of bang for your money .. :) and a 10.5t novak brushless rig in a lunch box is great fun backflips on command :)

006_zps019d38f9.jpg

Speed Passion Reventon R Combo for me, @ £66 with free postage (from uk seller) for an ESC and Motor combo (motors from 17.5T down to a 4.5T) that used to cost £170+ is a bargain, also comes with the programming box for settings adjustment. I haver ran mines pretty hard for the past 6 months without a single issue at all. Plus its got a very small footprint so pretty much fits in anything. I also have a Reventon S, but the R sepc ESC is far better imo.

James

:)