XV Pilot

PS paints with TS equivalents?

With the TA-02SW 911 GT2 being rereleased in civilian guise, I was wondering about colour options.

With its mix of polycarbonate shell and hard plastic accessories, it will need both PS and TS paints to finish.

I know from my Renault Alpine build that Tamiya make a metallic blue in both PS and TS, and the two match perfectly. Anyone know what other TS/PS matches Tamiya have in their lineup?

https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln/72/PS-chart.pdf

https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln/72/TS-chart.pdf

Also works fine to paint PS on ABS in fine coats then overcoat with TS Clear. Just be mindful to undercoat any colours in reverse order that you'll be doing to the lexan part &/or back the lexan colour with a layer of opaque white.

As willy says PS paints actually stick really really well to plastic and dry super fast too. Infact if painted correctly they give a great shine too. Here is my wheels for my Laguna build that I painted PS30 ......

gallery_16696_3916_217866.jpg

Thanks

James

:)

Aye, there are several TS/PS paints that match in terms of name, but some combos match better in terms of appearance than others. I was wondering if anyone has personal experience of well-matched combos?

I have tried using PS paint on hard plastic before, and while it adheres well, and a reasonable shine can indeed be achieved, I found that it is easier to get a consistent finish with TS paint.

With the wing being such a focal point of the 911 GT2, and with the fine detail of the grille potentially getting lost if too much paint is used/repainting is required, I would rather use TS paint and get it spot-on first time.

I'll be honest, in that I find all of Tamiya TS paint rather rubbish TBH. Its far too thin compared to some other makes out there. And takes far toolong to dry (sometimes 3 days to fully harden)

Hence why I think Tamiya them selves are starting to suggest PS paint on hard plastics, like the Ferrari F2012 F1 build I done a while back, the recommended paint for the front and rear wing according to the bodyset manual was a PS paint and not a TS paint. The good thing with the PS paint is that it can flex, so on a runner PS is far better than TS paint. But yes on a shelfer a slightly better finish can be obtained with TS paint, but only over several days work. I just don't have that kind of patience lol :)

James

:)

TS paint is really formulated for 1/24 models... gotta be thin enough not to obscure any of the crazy fine detail in their latest sculpts. Plus extra detail is added by etched sheetmetal, it's too fine to even stamp or laser? :)

• Like 1