Jbo6543

Teu-101bk / No Reverse-help!

Hey guys,

I seem to have lost the reverse function on my re-re lunchbox. Since I'm a newbie, with no LHS, I really don't know what to look for or how to troubleshoot the problem.

I use alternating 4200ni-mh packs which work fine and have full capacity in forward. The brakes work on the transmitter, just wont go into reverse. I have the same issue on both battery packs I use. It's a re-re VLB and I've never had any issues with the electrical system. I've looked for this issue on the message boards to no avail.

here's a few things I can think of of the top of my head:

I occasionally will throw it into reverse while going full speed forward to skid on a dirt surface, can this damage the ESC?

I've never submerged the thing in water, but have driven thru puddles or a bit of standing water. would this maybe cause the issue?

Is there possibly a broken wire connection on the ESC for reverse? Since I'm a newbie I dont' know what to look for.

Thanks in advance for any help, you guys are always extremely helpful.

You need to leave the ESC in the neutral position for 2 seconds before attempting to get reverse (or should). It won't go from forward immediately into reverse (this setup is for boats). While the ESC is in the forward mode, the reverse of the transmitter is brakes only. It will go from reverse to forward without a pause, this can eat out gearboxes if you are not careful.

If you check the instruction sheet for the TEU101BK it does have a reverse disable feature. As Gruntfuggly said, set the ESC up again. This MUST be done with 1 wire disconnected from the motor. Leave the transmitter in neutral positon and hit the 'set' button on the ESC (ESC LED will flash), then pull full throttle and press the 'set' button again (ESC LED will do a 'double' flash'), then pull full reverse and press the ESC set button one last time. Turn it all off and reconnect the motor and try it out.

Cheers, Mark

Old thread here but this is the closest thing I could find that related to my issue.

First off, I don't know a lot about RCs. Second, the car I have (an old Monster Beetle) was mine from back in the late 80's so some of the remaining parts are original. After not having much luck getting it to run I finally broke down and took it to my local hobby shop. I'd already replaced the speed control. They installed a new radio system and battery pack and got it running. However, reverse doesn't work at all. The guy at the shop said that he admittedly didn't know much about the speed control (they don't carry tamiya parts) but he tried for over 2 hours to get it to work with no luck. Even in doing some digging online he said he came up empty. The new radio system is a Futaba T3PRKA and speed control the TEU-101BK. Again, forward works fantastic. Reverse not at all. I've tried re-setting up the speed control per the manual to know avail. Each time I turn it on the LED flashes twice as if reverse is turned off. It does this regardless of the re-setup or not. Would this be a sign of a bad motor by chance or am I doing something wrong? The motor is the original silver can version that came on the car. The steering servo is original as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Have you set it up with the the motor disconnected? It won't be a problem with the motor if it works OK forwards.

Also, Try switching the servo reverse on the transmitter and check that the car still runs forwards when you push the trigger - that will at least eliminate the transmitter.

Thanks for the reply Gruntfuggly. Yes, I disconnected the motor during the setup. Well, per the directions one wire was still connected to the motor. Would that matter?

Yes, I tried switching the reverse on the transmitter as well. Regardless of the position of the switch on the transmitter it still runs forward. So I guess per you comment this eliminates the transmitter? I'm wondering if it's just a compatibility issue between the transmitter and the ESC. Thoughts?

If you switch the servo reverser on the transmitter, it should only go forwards when you push the trigger, not when you pull it? If it still goes forward either way, then it definitely looks like there is a compatibility problem between the ESC and the transmitter...