DaveDStevens

1:32 Scale Tamiya kits converted to slot cars

Wow! Scratch built! Nice to see the slow mo version too… Until now I have never in my life seen an off-road slot car track!

Cheers,

Skottoman

• Like 1

Very, very cool. I remember seeing some off-road tracks years ago on slotforum but nothing as extreme as that. Your trucks are awesome, cant decide if I like the hilux or the WW most! I guess the chassis are scratch-built or extensively modified? You've got all sorts of talent!

All right everyone, pack up your tools. This man has won Tamiya forever.

Yeah I gotta agree that I trully amazing. My fav is the lunchbox and the attention to detail I great.

Here is a video of how to convert a "Tamiya 1:32 Wild Mini 4WD Monster Racers into a "Slot Car".

To see the finished Monster Truck in action on a purpose built slot car track, have a look here.

1379753_770046373005426_432573422_n.jpg

• Like 1

Very cool, thanks for sharing how to do this. No if I just had more space for a slot car track :)

One of the reason's for building the Monster Trucks and track, was that I was able to build a fun circuit, in a very small space. the track shown is only 2ft x 4ft (65cm x 130cm). The track can be ran in ether direction and the obstacles are interchangable so there is a vast number of variation that the track can be configured.

Another way around the space problem is to build a track like the one shown below. When folded up it is only 3ftx4ft but opens up to 6ftx4ft with a track lengh of 35ft.

Here is a couple of links to video clips of my 1/32 Wild Mini 4WD series Monster Trucks racing and freestyling on a purpose built track.

02 Tamiya Buggy.jpg

Here is a clip of my 1:32 scale buggy running on my small demo/test track. Must remember to have a look for the rear wing.

To see more of my Off-road, 4WD and Monster Trucks on the slot track look here.

And for the Monster Trucks in action.

post-42643-0-01592200-1407670092_thumb.j

Here is a collection of video clips showing a range of scratch built trucks based on Tamiya models running on various tracks here in the UK.

I got the bug (thanks to Dave) about 4 weeks ago and got my first kit to convert into a Slot car about 3 weeks ago, since then I've done three others (and another ordered.)

Paul Roach said

"I got the bug (thanks to Dave) about 4 weeks ago and got my first kit to convert into a Slot car about 3 weeks ago, since then I've done three others (and another ordered.)"

• Like 1

Wanted to do a bit of model making today, but nothing to taxing as the stiches in me fingers are not due out until next week. So lined up some "Filk" music on the media player and thought that I would have a bash at getting my "Tamiya" Pick-Up" running again. This is a kit that I converted to slot some time in the mid to late 1980's. In my box of bits "that might be useful one day" I found a matching chassis with axles and drive shaft, but when I had a close look could see that the drive shaft was very loose and the worm gear would jump on the spur gear on the axle. Not feeling up to cutting and shaping bits of brass I found a bit of blank circuit board so cut a piece of this to brace and hold the drive shaft in place. Also used another piece of circuit board to make a front body mounting clip. At the rear a couple of "raw plugs" were used to extend the rear body mounting post. My original truck had a drop-arm that was simply glued to the chassis so that was just prised off and re-glued to the replacement chassis, like wise the motor.
Set up me Monster Truck track and gave the truck a run, was surprised just how well it ran, despite the tires being rock hard, Could not get it to climb up and over the cars, but most of the easier obstacles it can handle.
When I first made the truck I remember fitting a pair of "grain of wheat" light bulbs fitted at the front. One blue and one green. Will have to dig out a pair of LED's to fit in the holes.

Fitted some LED's "head lights" to my Ford pickup to replace the grain of wheat bulbs that I had fitted when I first built the truck, Trouble is that it looks like I had better fit some tail lights now.