Sign in to follow this  
Grastens

Rally Navigators/Co-Drivers

I was wondering, with all the knowledge on how professional race car drivers get to the levels they reach, what exactly it takes for a professional rally car navigator/co-driver to get where he/she does. To me, it seems like a combination of some professional motorsport experience as a driver, expert orienteering, drill sergeant-volume, and paramedic-level cool :P

Without having read any autobiography of somebody like Daniel Elena, Phil Mills, or Christian Geistdorfer, how exactly do professional co-drivers become just that? Is there an academy? Is it just circumstance? Or something else?

I think one has to get involve with the events and get to know the players. Is more like learn as you go. These niche line of work is usually you know someone or you are just keen and work you way in. Knowledge of repairs or skills useful to rally would get you in faster....and another language would help.

• Like 1

For people that understand italian:

For the other ones: the co-driver is strongly recommending the driver to go slow the first curves because the track is very wet and slippery. The co-driver has tormented all the time the driver to use the clutch to change gears and take care at the first curve after the straight. The co-driver also told that the other drivers did the first corner in first gear, almost stationary. The pilot replied "okay, it's fine, I understood."

The language they speak is not pure Italian but Italian with a strong Sicilian accent and inflection (it very funny for the people that understand italian). Sicily is a region of Italy where the passion for cars, races and engines is very strong and where many local races.