netsmithUK

Tamiyaclub.com (domain name) is 10 years old today

I guess, a bit like the queen, the club has a couple of birthdays. Today is the 10th year anniversary of me registering the domain name.

I also registered Tamiyabible.com, Tamiyaworld.com and TamiyaCollectorsClub.com all around the same time - I like to think I went with the best option

(Since then I also registered sandscorcher.com, blazingblazer.com and 58016.com for projects, that I've still not had the time to work on)

Second birthday and probably the main one is 14/04/2002 08:39:09, which is the date the first model was uploaded.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=1

(technically it was online a little bit before that but that was just to a select band of beta testers)

Hopefully we will have a few 'special events' next to really celebrate in style.

How many people are left from that first year?

Cheers

Chris.

Congrats Chris on a great first 10 years, here's looking forward to a fantastic next 10.

Antony

A lot has happened in that 10 years too, much of which nobody could have predicted!

Most of the original members seem to have permanently migrated though, ie Shodog, RetroRC, Theo etc. The re-release phenomenon changed the nature of the vintage scene IMO & perhaps spoiled it for some of the founder members.

Happy birthday tamiyaclub.com!!! :):(:lol:

I've been a member since 01/12/2005 so I'm not near...

Thank you Chris for letting us play in your backyard!!!

Badboy

I'm surprised anyone has stuck with the hobby for 10 years! I think its all part of the natural cycle though.

1. Hit 30 - discover you have a bit of disposable income, a yearning for something retro and an old rc in the loft.

2. The golden years - after finding the club and ebay, spend the next few years spending and playing like there is no tomorrow. Life is sweet as your restored sand scorcher - you are 16 again

3. Hit 40 - novelty is wearing a bit thin, kids are costing more, space becomes an issue, wife finally has had enough of your 'junk'

4. Sell some models to make space, put some in the loft and only keep out your favourites.

5. hit 45 and you realise that all the models you have are now in the loft and you haven't touched any for 2 years. Batteries are dead and rubber is perished.

4. Tempted to the dark side. Sell remaining kit and turn to Golf.

TC will remain though for those wanting to cling on to having fun and being kids :)

Wow... I feels that I have been sticking my nose in on the main site for videos and such longer than that.

Here's to the next 10...

Oh no! I was talking about taking up golf this morning; is this the beginning of the end??? :(

Congratulations to Tc and all the founding members! :)

Site and members have certainly changed over the years, certainly enjoyed my time on here. I joined in September 2002, doesnt seem that long ago and would hate to think how much I have spent on the hobby in that time.

Member #107 reporting here :) Joined in 2002. Still doing the collecting and the M-Chassis racing. Still a paid up member and read the forums regularly.

The Tamiyaclub Kidderminster meetings was just A.C.E. be good if another one could be arranged for the 10th year (hint hint) :(

lol - thats all just a strange coincidence. That said Stulec is responsible in a big way for introducing me to the 'scene' - i never even knew it existed before I spoke to him.

I'm surprised anyone has stuck with the hobby for 10 years! I think its all part of the natural cycle though.

1. Hit 30 - discover you have a bit of disposable income, a yearning for something retro and an old rc in the loft.

2. The golden years - after finding the club and ebay, spend the next few years spending and playing like there is no tomorrow. Life is sweet as your restored sand scorcher - you are 16 again

3. Hit 40 - novelty is wearing a bit thin, kids are costing more, space becomes an issue, wife finally has had enough of your 'junk'

4. Sell some models to make space, put some in the loft and only keep out your favourites.

5. hit 45 and you realise that all the models you have are now in the loft and you haven't touched any for 2 years. Batteries are dead and rubber is perished.

TC will remain though for those wanting to cling on to having fun and being kids :)

The thing is though, I doubt if the majority of 35+ year olds on TC actually have kids so stage 2 could go on for a lot longer than you think. :(

I hit 40 in 11 weeks time (no kids) and I'm getting worse!

The only thing I regret about my time on this club is that I didn't google "Tamiya" whilst bored about 3 years before I actually did it.

Since coming bk to the hobby about 6 months ago i've learned so much from all the helpful members . Heres to the next 10 years . I'am 46 soon and enjoying my second childhood but with the skills and knowledge i lacked back in my teens . Men never grow up , we just play with bigger and better toys lol

TC will remain though for those wanting to cling on to having fun and being kids B)

I started RC again at the age of 35 back in 2004. Didn't find Tamiya club until 2006, and didn't join until a few years later.

It's the place I belong, as I'm now 42, with no sign of stopping. No kids which helps me remain a kid I guess...

Congrats on the great club. I love it, it motivates me to be a better modeller and share with others as like minded as me.

It also reminds me that I'm not the only one on this planet that like to play with rc's...

Cheers,

Skottoman

Well,

I've been here since 9-July 02... maybe it's time to start adding something other than cryptic and sarcastic remarks...

...wouldn't hold your breath, though......

Happy Birthday TC!

Alex

Happy Birthday TC! Still my favourite RC hang out despite my interest getting more and more into other areas of the hobby (other manufacturers at least). I think though it's like being a biker.. you always have it in your blood. (which isn't actually blood anymore, I think it's either TS8, 18, 39 or 49 depending on your blood group ;) )

As for kids, I reckon the secret is to get them into RC and use them as an excuse for furthering your addiction. Whilst I don't have any kids of my own, my gf's son is 2 and already has one of those little RC in a Can jobs and absolutely loves it! Oh and she's a big fan too - wants a Blitzer or a VW Wheelie. I think I'm sorted B)

:rolleyes: WOOHOO let's party ;) .

Thanks to all the TC members & the most important lot is the Admin for such a great club .

I wished i jointed way back in 2002 when i came across this , but didn't . Timing was not right

I guess .

Such Great people on this club , That are just as much into the RC seen than i am .

So much knowledge on here it's not funny . " Here " " Here " to TC & members .

Now where is the party ?.... :P .

Happy birthday.

Thanks to this site I can relive my teens.

With 2 daughters it's tough, but they love watching the cars go around the yard.

To many more year! N

Toykid still here B)

Joined 04/05/2002 @ 14:16:12 if the data is correct. Member number 50 (also my favorite Tamiya model). I still remember Robbies board that predates TC and the first Time Chris let everyone know on the forum there that he was going to set up TC. I remember very clearly a number of people on that forum trying to explain to Chris how hard it would be to pull it off - Well here we all are 10 years later :)

Chris I think you need to donate cars from your loft to any of the first 100 members that are still here today - I'll take anything you care to part with :)

But seriously Chris, thanks for everything, you have given me an outlet for my passion and kept me coming back to the site nearly everyday for the last 10 years.

Here's looking forward to the next 10!!

James.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I wish I could find some of those very early discussions we had about setting up a fan site, with showrooms and trading areas.

The forum was actually quite a late addition. All the ones at the time were running from 'free' services, where the price you had to pay was closing a million pop-ups. In the end I got hit with just one too many popups so went away and set up an advert free one. I can bring all the pop-ups back if anyone preferred them B)

Cheers

Chris

I can bring all the pop-ups back if anyone preferred them :)

B)

I think the most of us would prefer to pay the small subscription fee than deal with those horrible popups and 3rd party advertisements. Not to mention the odd virus that infects the ads.