i_am_scarecrow

Monster truck, but which one?

Hey guys, after a trip to a stunt show at the weekend I have an urge to build a monster truck but I'm stuck as to which one to buy. There seems to be no end of options out there so where do I start?

I have a Lunchbox already and whilst it is fun to drive I don't want something that pops wheelies and flips over at a moments notice. I've been looking at the Blackfoot and Bush Devil but really I'm still none the wiser. How do these two handle? Are there trucks out there that you can suggest for me? 2wd or 4wd? I'm not looking to spend a fortune as it will get lots of use and plenty of battle scars.

Anyhoo, here's a pic from the weekend-

614914_10152351209656158_914364365055865

All the best,

Shane

I run a WR01 and a WT01, and have had excellent experiences with both. They are affordable, rugged vehicles with good handling and a surprising amount of stability for their class.

They have tough gearboxes that can handle a lot of power. The dogbones need upgrading if you are fitting monster motors, but other than that, the drivetrain is solid.

Only possible drawback is that the stock wheels and tyres are quite small by monster truck standards, so they lack the commanding presence of a Clod or Bullhead. (Larger ones can of course be fitted, but this adds to the cost.)

They both sound about right for what I want. Huge wheels are not essential, Bush Devil size will be spot on I think, I can always go bigger if need be. Just need to get me some waterproof electrics and we're off!

Blackfoot 3 or a Blackfoot Extreme should do the trick and have the looks you're after. Great performance too. If you want it you can modify them easily to run 4x4 and even 4 wheel steering just by adding the right standard Tamiya parts.

Indeed. GPM also make some rather nice alloy extended shock towers for them, which let you run longer shocks while protecting the stock towers from damage. Not a vital upgrade, but a nice one!

I'm going to chuck the suggestion of a TXT-1 into the mix. I've owned one for well over ten years, have used it regularly over that time, and have never felt the urge to sell it. They can be picked up relatively cheaply second hand (Around £150 for a good one), and once you've bought one, it will be the only monster truck you'll ever need :)

Agree, the TXT-1 is a 'league above' in terms of Monster truck fun. It used to be that you'd need expensive batteries to get the most out of them and still only get short run-times, as they're big, heavy and twin-motor'd, but with the advent of Lipo power they make a lot of sense.

I don't have one, but I've driven one. They eclipse the WT-01 (like I do have) in terms of size and fun. Especially when modified.

A Clod seems a bit lower-spec but still looks more like a monster truck than the WT-01. The only reason I don't have one in my collection is the lack of space and pennies!

Try score a used Clodbuster, thats the real monster. and look better than the Agrios

The WR chassis are nice but more like little monsters.

DSC01630.jpg

Cheeky tike ;)

I love my TXT-2 - the original wheels have never been near it though and I sold the original body straight away so I guess its more of a TXT-1.5....

I also never used the original silver cans - 6.5t brushless on 2S lipo suits it perfectly - wheelies on demand and its so fast that it intimidates most people lol :)

I didn't know it was smaller, definitely the TXT-1 or a Clod then!

I didn't know it was smaller, definitely the TXT-1 or a Clod then!

Its not smaller Steve - Martin meant just the wheels and body - the chassis is 99% TXT-1 - just the conventional dampers and no cantilever...

Ah right, it'll still be bigger than the WR chassis by some margin then. Don't get me wrong, I love my Lunchbox(es), Midnight Pumpkin. Twin Detonator, Monster Beetle, Blackfoot and King Blackfoot (yes I'm a Monster Truck junkie) but the Clod is just something else when it comes to presence and 'Monster Truck-ness'

Thanks chaps, decision made! I'm going to grab me one of the Blackfoot series trucks. I like the Clod's but prefer the single shocks and smaller tyres of the Blackfoots.

Next question then, this will be getting wet and muddy so can you point me in the direction of suitable electrics?

In my Wildfoot (Blackfoot III chassis, Wild Dagger shell) I run a waterproof Mtroniks RV12 ESC, waterproof HPI SF-10W servo and waterproof Spektrum SR200WP RX. The motor is a budget rebuildable Etronix unit that doesn't mind getting wet.

Also worth remembering is a rubber-sealed bearing set for significantly reduced maintenance after wet and muddy running.

Sorry to hijack this thread but on the subject of txt 2, what size wheels and tyres do people fit? Also what is the best body to fit onto it, a txt1?

Scored me this Carbon chassis for the WR01, that will be one Hot Dagger

IMG_20140829_224846028.jpg

IMG_20140829_225108567.jpg

• Like 2

Hi could you scan the side plates of this chassis please? If it is possible obviously.

Many thanks.

Max

Scored me this Carbon chassis for the WR01, that will be one Hot Dagger

IMG_20140829_224846028.jpg

IMG_20140829_225108567.jpg

sure, might take a while or i could make a drawing

As you prefer, I need the measurement of all holes presents on the plates. I need a template in poor words and I need it to make a chassis by myself.

Max

As you prefer, I need the measurement of all holes presents on the plates. I need a template in poor words and I need it to make a chassis by myself.

Max

Just had a go at google for Wd chassis guess who turned up there, oh WD chassis master.

Nice projects and chassis you made (so you should have the right sizes already ;) ), I very much like your steering solution, have to try that one.

Are working on the drawings, will take some time but you can cross check the dimensions when its finished. ^_^

Ahahah, yes I made the Carbon Dagger years ago but I'm sorry, I'm lazy and don't want to disassemble it to have the correct measurements (I lost the drawings), shame on me :( and nosy Google.

Max

Just had a go at google for Wd chassis guess who turned up there, oh WD chassis master.

Nice projects and chassis you made (so you should have the right sizes already ;) ), I very much like your steering solution, have to try that one.

Are working on the drawings, will take some time but you can cross check the dimensions when its finished. ^_^