Madbob

Convert Hornet Front Suspensions

Hi guys,

anyone can give some tips about how to convert the standard hornet front suspensions with a couple of oil suspensions? Maybe some of you got a link for a tutorial that show and sujest wich parts have to be changed...

thanks to all members in advice.

I haven't seen any modern RC equipment that can make that conversion... There were kits back in the 80's that could do it made by Team CRP and Parma.. Unfortunately those parts are long gone and can only be found on Ebay (on rare occasions).

I was able to find a few kits in the past, but I had to look for a few months to get them..

Yeah a couple months ago I found a Hornet parts car for cheap ($30) on Craiglist here in the USA - it had blue alloy Parma oil shocks front and rear, as well as the side guards and rear anti-roll bar. I really just wanted the shocks, which need to be rebuilt. I then found a Parma shock rebuild kit (for 2 shocks only) on ebay - hopefully it will work for the front shocks - seller said it will - we'll see. I can come up with something for the rears if I need to - either just replace them with new Hornet oil shocks or visit a good seal store and find some good new seals to put in there...whatever. So yeah you just gottta keep searching for the fronts. Others have done custom conversions - I'm not creative or knowledgeable enough to do that....

Good luck-

Brandon

. You can make the conversion with the u shaped metal bracket that you find on the wishbone simply bolt one to the top mount hole as well and you will need the mini CVA shocks to fit the stroke. Simple :)

This was done using the Team CRP double wishbone conversion kit for the Futaba FX-10 buggy (almost the same front suspension) and a set of 55mm Team CRP alloy dampers. Not what I would call a mod for the novice, there was a lot of cutting and modifying parts involved. It does wonders for handling and needs to, this Grasshopper has a MambaMax BL system in it. New front suspension removes 100% of the bump steer and doesn't look out of place IMO.

img20319_01092008073419_2.jpg

sgt.barnes has the easy way to get an oil damper in there.

• Like 2

this couldnt come at a better time, im starting a poor man scorcher project and have been looking all over for the same answer, (grasshopper on its way) i will try sgt barnes idea i think :) but being a NIB grasshopper what parts would i need as i dont think i would have the metal brackets you speak of?

ok i done a bit of searching, this is what we need TAMIYA GRASSHOPPER SPRING BAG 9400274 lots on ebay. a little bit more than you need but very cheap! all i need to know now is what shocks, i take it you mean the ones like on the tt01?

A shaft bag for VLB/Pumpkin will have the needed 'U' shape metal brackets (I see some on feebay). The VLB wheelie bar fits a Grasshopper/Hornet too.

Dampers for the front are shorter than the rear. An M-Chassis damper would fit the front.

To fit a decent Damper to the rear of a Grasshopper you will need some Hornet parts or the Conversion set.

A shaft bag for VLB/Pumpkin will have the needed 'U' shape metal brackets (I see some on feebay). The VLB wheelie bar fits a Grasshopper/Hornet too.

Dampers for the front are shorter than the rear. An M-Chassis damper would fit the front.

To fit a decent Damper to the rear of a Grasshopper you will need some Hornet parts or the Conversion set.

cheers mark! thats a little more pricey than what i found but the extra parts in that lot would come in more useful. ive found some friction TT01 shocks in my parts bin, so will try them out 1st before i buy any other shocks. id prefer alu ones but wanna make sure the fitment is right 1st. will post pics up when im done as i looked for ages for a solution to this and was about to give up hope, thanks to everyone for the help, and sorry to hijack your thread madbob! but hopefully it will put you on the right track too :)

If I remember right it's 55mm from eye to eye you need to fit in there. A short eye on the bottom of the TT-01 friction damper may get that length. I can't check on my Grasshopper as I cut the original damper towers off the tub to fit the CRP nylon tower.

If I remember right it's 55mm from eye to eye you need to fit in there. A short eye on the bottom of the TT-01 friction damper may get that length. I can't check on my Grasshopper as I cut the original damper towers off the tub to fit the CRP nylon tower.

just measured my old TT01 shocks, they are 55mm you are correct. cant wait for the thing to arrive now, a grasshopper that dosent bounce all over the place would be great! as its having a blitzer beetle hardbody put on it :) i got some cheap brat/frog shocks for the rear, i seen some on a few grasshoppers so thought they would fit

It will still bounce around all over the place. LOL. :)

The rear suspension does not work. There is practically no weight in the rear of the chassis, it's all in the gearbox which is unsprung. Upgrade dampers on the front will stop the spring oscilating, but it doesn't solve the massive bump steer. So it will still be very much a Grasshopper/Hornet to drive.

well the hopper turned up today (thanks time tunnel for super fast delivery) skipped the manual and went straight to the front shock assembly, put the 2 U shaped metal parts in as per sgt barnes instructions, but bad news im afraid, the shocks i had were to long, 55mm is too much. anyone know of any shorter shocks? whats the shortest shocks eye to eye that tamiya do? i reckon i need shocks that are around 25-30mm eye to eye!!! have you actually seen this done mr B? im glad i didnt order any now.. phew!

I believe this is the CRP upgrade. Could be wrong, I put it on the car over 20 years ago. Looking at it, it would not be very hard to cut off the existing shock towers and bend some brackets to whatever length you want to allow whatever shock you want.

Grasshopper_front.JPG

, and sorry to hijack your thread madbob! but hopefully it will put you on the right track too :)

no problem you're right...now a lot of speach and a lot of work I hope I'll find time to begin this weekend :D

I believe this is the CRP upgrade. Could be wrong, I put it on the car over 20 years ago. Looking at it, it would not be very hard to cut off the existing shock towers and bend some brackets to whatever length you want to allow whatever shock you want.

They are the same dampers I used on mine, made by CRP and 55mm long from eye to eye. Though mine are up the other way so they look like a real strut (and don't leak). LOL. Interesting use of the SRB front steering knuckle too.

Try M-Chassis dampers gazwilts (M03/M04), they are shorter than the TT-01 dampers, and use the shortest lower eye, it shortens the damper by about 5mm as the eye is 5mm shorter (there is 2 different lengths on the v-parts sheet).

They are the same dampers I used on mine, made by CRP and 55mm long from eye to eye. Though mine are up the other way so they look like a real strut (and don't leak). LOL. Interesting use of the SRB front steering knuckle too.

Try M-Chassis dampers gazwilts (M03/M04), they are shorter than the TT-01 dampers, and use the shortest lower eye, it shortens the damper by about 5mm as the eye is 5mm shorter (there is 2 different lengths on the v-parts sheet).

The steering knuckles are actually Frog parts.

Here's another picture of the car.

Grasshopper_right.JPG

hi guys, after much debating i decided to go down this route. purchased 1 x ansmann steering support plate (itemnumber 115000238) not sure what model its for?? and a set of ansmann alu oil shockers. as im only going to be running scorcher esque shells on this it didnt matter if the ghopper shell wouldnt fit anymore, so here it is :P had to cut off the old suspension risers from a NIB build but what the heck a new chassis is only a few pounds if i ever wanted to revert back. also used the U shaped metal parts i ordered with some metal tubes inside for strengh so no waste whatsoever, whole front suspension project cost me £10 its rock solid too!

hopper1.JPG

hopper2.JPG

hi guys, after much debating i decided to go down this route. purchased 1 x ansmann steering support plate (itemnumber 115000238) not sure what model its for?? and a set of ansmann alu oil shockers. as im only going to be running scorcher esque shells on this it didnt matter if the ghopper shell wouldnt fit anymore, so here it is :) had to cut off the old suspension risers from a NIB build but what the heck a new chassis is only a few pounds if i ever wanted to revert back. also used the U shaped metal parts i ordered with some metal tubes inside for strengh so no waste whatsoever, whole front suspension project cost me £10 its rock solid too!
Hiya gazwilts. It would be nice if you could upload a picture of your mod again. I'd like to know a bit more about the mods that can be done to these old models, the Hornet & Grasshopper.

I have just purchased the CRP Futaba FX10 front conversion. Fits to the Hornet with some modifications and gives proper double wishbone front suspension and the ability to fit oil filled dampers.

You have to buy the plastic parts and the screws as 2 separate items, but seems pretty straight forward and cost me about $22 I think (not including shocks).

I will be posting to my showroom soon if anyone is interested in following the mod. I will also post here if I remember :lol:

James.

I have just purchased the CRP Futaba FX10 front conversion. Fits to the Hornet with some modifications and gives proper double wishbone front suspension and the ability to fit oil filled dampers.

You have to buy the plastic parts and the screws as 2 separate items, but seems pretty straight forward and cost me about $22 I think (not including shocks).

I will be posting to my showroom soon if anyone is interested in following the mod. I will also post here if I remember :)

James.

Well, it would really be great to have a look at that mod. toykid!

That's a great mod toykid, did it take long to fit? How long are the shocks that you've fitted, they look spot on.

For anyone fitting a Scorcher shell on a Grasshopper/Hornet chassis you might find this thread useful:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=62173&hl=

That's how I fitted a Kamtec Baja shell onto my GH chassis. The body mounts were made from brass 10mm brass strip with a little craft foam held on with doubled sided tape to protect the paint. The Kamtec shell appears to be a direct copy of the Tamiya SS.

:) I just hate the weird camber the CRP kit gives you with the drastic difference in upper and lower link length.