THE HP FREAK

Tamiya BigWig #7

Another beauty HP FREAK.... Just curious in your opinion as to how the bigwig performs, similar to say a boomerang or better? and I don' t mean the technigold, just overall as a vintage buggy with say a low turn mod motor.

I believe that it performs worse than the Boomerang due the heavy weight. Mechanics is the same.
Maybe the Bigwig is better for the front suspensions and the steering rack, no more than this.
It was a celebrative model, not a competition model.
Probably the best perfomer of the Hot Shot serie is the Boomerang itself.
The Boomerang has better chassis and suspension than the Hot Shot and has better rear suspension than the Hot Shot 2 and Super Sabre. Also the Super Shot steering and suspension set up is rubbish in front of Boomerang general suspension set up.
Probably the best option should be a Boomerang with Bigwig front suspensions.
Concerning the speed and acceleration I would say the Boomerang again. Super sabre is almost identical but the body weights a little bit more, so the winner is the white one.

Max

Thanks Max, I am restoring a boomerang currently, always curious about the bigwig,I will jump on the re re when it happens

Just curious in your opinion as to how the bigwig performs, similar to say a boomerang or better? and I don' t mean the technigold, just overall as a vintage buggy with say a low turn mod motor.

I've ran both buggies and they're very similar, if not practically the same. My cousin has had a 1986 Boomerang with a sweet Dynatech motor for the last 20 years. I do have a stock Technigold-powered Big Wig. We have ran the cars against each other a number of times, and they're very, very similar performance wise. I would say the rack steering system and front suspension makes the Big Wig a bit more stable when racing on dirt, though. Oh, the Big Wig comes with a fancier mechanical speed control, which should make some difference, otherwise they wouldn't have used it in this 10th anniversary buggy.

Now, the Big Wig is not really or significantly heavier than the Boomerang (or any other of the Shot family buggies from the 80s for that matter). You can count the weight of an extra cell from the 8,4V battery pack AND the extra front shock to the mere 100grams that it has over the stock-equipped ready-to-run Boomerang. These pictures from the 1986 Tamiya RC guide can do the talking better than me. Check the weight charts and see for yourself:

DSCN8670_zpsdb1f14f4.jpg

DSCN8672_zpscdd694ae.jpg

• Like 1

You are right but the problem is that my Boomerang weight is 1.750. I believe that the weights on the catalogue are a little bit optimistic.

Max

The technical data of the Guide Books are not always correct. Sometimes the wheelbase or tire Diameter are different although same Chassis but different model. I found such in case of early F1 cars. But still These books are very charming and an art on themselfe.

In fact, the Bigwig goes between 1850 and 1900 grams that is a real stone, especially with 1200 mAh batteries.

This is the reason of 8,4V battery.

Max