MAD RACER

Frog Front Shocks

I don't think Tamiya did, but I do think some aftermarket companies did. Some of the vintage hop-up guys would know more specifically.

I don't think Tamiya did, but I do think some aftermarket companies did. Some of the vintage hop-up guys would know more specifically.

My mate saw a article in Rc Driver of a new option shocks for the Frog re realise like the CVD,s they put out.

Tamiya didn't release that, but when you go to CRP you can buy front shock towers and shocks that fit the frog.

CRP has just the shock mounts

I have seen those CRP ones too. Do they actually make a difference?

Tamiya didn't release that, but when you go to CRP you can buy front shock towers and shocks that fit the frog.

Hi, in order to buy some front oil shocks for my Frog, somebody knows the right lenght of the dampers with crp front towers please?

Many thanks

Kontemax

Hi, in order to buy some front oil shocks for my Frog, somebody knows the right lenght of the dampers with crp front towers please?

Many thanks

Kontemax

I have some of these CRP towers, and in my estimation you need 60mm shocks - at least, I hope this is right as I ordered some 60mm yeah racing shocks from ebay to use on my frog. They haven't arrived yet, if they fit I'll post some pics showing what I've done. If they don't fit, I'll pretend it never happened! :)

you can pretty much piece together the vintage CRP kit from parts sellers on eBay. And yes they make a big difference.

Yes, the front shocks make a big difference. I would suggest putting something more modern there if you can find anything. The CRP shocks are not very consistent and tend to bind.

I agree with evirob i have fitted the CRP mounts and the distence is 60mm i was wanting some dampers for it so i have also looked at the 60mm yeah racing shocks and would really appreciate evirob's feedback as i have them in my watched items. The doo look as if the would fit without issue but ya never know?.... heres a pic of them

96e1_1_b.JPG

Ebay Link

Also would some 90mm fit the rear?.... here they are pics and links

Yeah-Racing-DP-0006BU-Alloy-90mm-Damper-Set

a49c_1_b.JPG

GPM-AB4090A-Alloy-Front-Damper-90mm

074d_1.JPG

All the prices are pretty good what you guys think worth it or not?...

I actually think some of the "mini" shocks may work. I've measured my CRP shocks and they are roughly 65mm long mounted. Maybe rc18t rear shocks or duratrax mini quake shocks will work? Touring car dampers may be too stiff unless you use a super soft spring.

I fitted a pair of You G or parma front dampers to my Frog with a little work. They have a cross over oil line to them.

I also drilled the dampers out has they were solid. It made a huge difference to the handling of the Frog and turned so much better.

I than mounted up a set of Schumacher Cat 3000 front shocks with yellow springs to the rear of it. The lenghth was perfect and gave the frog so much more rear traction.

With these mods to the suspension, a pair of cut down Losi X 2000 on Fox rear rims and wide ribs with fox front rims my frog was on pace with the lower group of drivers from my track with todays losi and B4's in stock.

Every one was amazed at how well this Frog went and never seen a vintage buggy or even seen one go. It was very good to drive and had good speed as its so light.. Cheers...Mark.

Hi guys,

hoppi05, I still haven't received my yeah racing shocks, I'll let you know how I get on when they arrive. I've used yeah racing before on my Hotshot, and found them pretty good performance wise, so if they fit I think they're definitely worth the money. As to rear shocks, I had a couple of Kyosho 95mm lying around, but they're quite a bit longer than the standard frog rear shocks, as you can see from this pic.

shocks.jpg

I'd say the rear ones would need to be about 75mm. My 95mm Kyoshos can be mounted, but as they are semi-compressed from the outset, they end up with less travel than the stock dampers.

RichieRich, are you measuring the shocks from tip to tip, or from the centre of each hole? I'm measuring from the centre of the holes, so I guess the overall length would be 65mm. Hope I'm right, I'll know soon!

Lastly, Mark, would you mind posting a picture of your frog with it's modified shocks? I'd love to see it.

Cheers,

Chris.

Got my Yeah Racing shocks today. 60mm is a good fit using the CRP towers. Here's a link to my showroom;

My Frog

They certainly look the business, but haven't tried them out for performance yet.

That looks really good! and the shocks look cool too ithink i am going to order me some! by the way what turn is the motor your running?

That looks really good! and the shocks look cool too ithink i am going to order me some! by the way what turn is the motor your running?

yeah, i'm very pleased the way they turned out. the motor is a tamiya acto power 2WD, 14turn double. it's quite a lot of welly for a frog, which is the main reason i wanted to upgrade the shocks. a lot of fun though.

That is quite a lot! i bet it does shift! has it never give you any trouble with the gears? I have just fully rebuilt my gearbox tonight with all new parts and new bearings cant wait to give it a go over the wkend

That is quite a lot! i bet it does shift! has it never give you any trouble with the gears? I have just fully rebuilt my gearbox tonight with all new parts and new bearings cant wait to give it a go over the wkend

Yeah, it flies. Not had any trouble with the gears as yet, but I don't take it out that often. Obviously it's ball raced, but I guess they weren't thinking of that kind of power when they designed the gearbox. Still, trashing these things and then fixing them is half the fun!

what about 62mm for the front and 80mm for the rear?

I'm pretty sure those would be usable. As I said, 60mm for the front is pretty much spot on, so anything less would be too short, but 2mm over ought to be ok. I would think 80mm would be ok for the rear also, but I'm still using the stock dampers on the rear so don't quote me on that.

Hi. Here are some photos of my modified shocks for the Frog. You can also see my cut down modified losi x2000's rear tyres on fox rims. Rear shocks are Schumacher Cat 3000 front shocks and the front shocks are You G or Parma front dampers.

post_22610_1202194327_low_res.jpg Frog2_low_res.jpg

post-22610-1215322948.jpg

post-22610-1215323141.jpg

Hi. Here are some photos of my modified shocks for the Frog. You can also see my cut down modified losi x2000's rear tyres on fox rims. Rear shocks are Schumacher Cat 3000 front shocks and the front shocks are You G or Parma front dampers.

Looks awesome, that front damper system is very unusual - I like it. Does it perform as good as it looks?

It made a big difference to the turn in and is sharper in response.

Took a lot of time to figure the angle and how to mount them. I was surprised at how good these dampers worked with the stock springs.

I did have to drill the solid brass pistons out as it was so stiff.

I have seen them on other Frogs but are rare. I would like to know if I mounted the correct .

heres an idea for using hi cap dampers(mini) as on my frog.i used old kyosho rear hubs as they fitted into the bush devil press parts i used instead of the frog pressed parts.i dremmeled the excess off the hubs ,they are really strong as there made of that glass filled plastic kyosho does.i used top force alloy spacers to allow the springs to clear the wishbones.i havnt run it yet but if its rubbish i can reverse it no prob back to standard.the hi cap mini at the rear are perfect length and go straight on.if you plan to get hi caps you need a 6mm ball type fitting for the metal end at the top as they have a one way kind of fitment on them.