DavidKY502

Technigold Questions

I got one used for my runner from a member here. Theres like two uninsulated wires that seem to not be attached and it has some resistor connected to it. i tested it and it does turn but have not installed it in the runner. I still waiting on my e-clip pinion tool to come from an e bay purchase. What are thoose wires for and why there a resistor added to this. I seen shocky diodes added have thoose on a Mini Z but not a resistor.

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

The resistor/condenser is there to smooth current flow and reduce radio interference.

The small wires with no insulation are called pigtails. They are there to conduct current flow directly to the brushes rather than just through the brush hinges. They solder to the brush arms, inside the motor, just above the brush face itself. The motor will still work without them, but might get a bit hottor and not quite spin as fast.

The brushes on that motor have probably been replaced, possibly with Technipower/Tuned brushes, necessitating resoldering the pigtails. The older Technipower/Tuned brushes come with pigtails but they are unattached. The Technigold replacement brushes had the pigtails already soldered onto the brushes in the correct place, you just had to solder the end that goes onto the contact terminals.

Looks like your motor terminals have taken a bit of a battering.

Found this, might be helpful:

50290_01.jpg

50290_02.jpg

- James

I got one used for my runner from a member here. Theres like two uninsulated wires that seem to not be attached and it has some resistor connected to it. i tested it and it does turn but have not installed it in the runner. I still waiting on my e-clip pinion tool to come from an e bay purchase. What are thoose wires for and why there a resistor added to this. I seen shocky diodes added have thoose on a Mini Z but not a resistor.

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

According to my 3 technigolds those bits hanging out are supposed to be soldered to that capasitor thingy. Im certain the capacitor is original as all mine have one.

dazaa

Still havnent been able to install this in the runner yet. Waiting on my pinion gear / e-clip tool to get here on the slow boat from China. This moring I pull out my old dusty Traxxas 4 tec and installed it in that to see what was up. I didnt bother with the pig tails and took the resistor off of it, heck didnt even bother cleaning off the 4 tec. Look like the terminnal screw into the pivot for the brushes and the pig tails might just be tad over kill. This thing as fast as Trinnity P2K2 Pro http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/item.asp?item=2021 that was in it. I ran it for pack before installing the technigold in it and with the technigold may be faster. Tad hard to judge but technigold seems to be tad faster. Now to just get my tool so I can put it in my runner. Also say 4 tec gotta be about half pound or more heavier than 959. 4 tec was my kick around stock class car. Was a terror in the right hands in stock class races. Then caught the dirt bug and started racing Truggies and stadium trucks. Took some pics idea of size. That body on the 4 tec before I get asked is old PTI prototype 2003 Mustang GT think that one looks meaner than the real new Mustang.

Picture014.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Still havnent been able to install this in the runner yet. Waiting on my pinion gear / e-clip tool to get here on the slow boat from China. This moring I pull out my old dusty Traxxas 4 tec and installed it in that to see what was up. I didnt bother with the pig tails and took the resistor off of it, heck didnt even bother cleaning off the 4 tec. Look like the terminnal screw into the pivot for the brushes and the pig tails might just be tad over kill. This thing as fast as Trinnity P2K2 Pro http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/item.asp?item=2021 that was in it. I ran it for pack before installing the technigold in it and with the technigold may be faster. Tad hard to judge but technigold seems to be tad faster. Now to just get my tool so I can put it in my runner. Also say 4 tec gotta be about half pound or more heavier than 959. 4 tec was my kick around stock class car. Was a terror in the right hands in stock class races. Then caught the dirt bug and started racing Truggies and stadium trucks. Took some pics idea of size. That body on the 4 tec before I get asked is old PTI prototype 2003 Mustang GT think that one looks meaner than the real new Mustang.

Picture014.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture012.jpg

For a minute I thought the 959 was underneath.......forget the e clip tool use a flat blade screw driver.....

Need that tool to set the depth of the pinion gear not for e clips. Look in 959 instruction manul theres a step cut on the tool to properly setup the pinion gear on the motor.

Need that tool to set the depth of the pinion gear not for e clips. Look in 959 instruction manul theres a step cut on the tool to properly setup the pinion gear on the motor.

AHA I have that lying somwere, impossible to do without. I may be able to measure it and send you the dimensions for you to make one from card for now?

I will find it asap and let you know.

Dazaa

Looks like your motor terminals have taken a bit of a battering.

yea we used to make new ones with eyelet terminals too, like what's chopped off other brush pigtails of the time

put the replica terminals UNDER the black phenyl board, otherwise its only passing current thru the 2mm screw

Screw is a lousy conductor as is the brush hinges without the pigtail. It could make the terminals hot enough to unsolder the wire.

yea we used to make new ones with eyelet terminals too, like what's chopped off other brush pigtails of the time

put the replica terminals UNDER the black phenyl board, otherwise its only passing current thru the 2mm screw

Screw is a lousy conductor as is the brush hinges without the pigtail. It could make the terminals hot enough to unsolder the wire.

Yep, using the pigtails is definitely a good idea. The Technigold at full tilt can draw a fair bit of current.

I've made replacement terminals too, out of sheet copper with a nibbler.

The little black board tended to disintegrate after a while - didn't notice before that your terminals are on the wrong side of that board.

- James

best replacements were made out of spade terminal plugs... some even had a little hole in the middle already, so just bend them up & solder on wire

are these technigolds valuable?
Yes, very much so. They usually sell in good condition for 40-50.
What's the advantage of them over A.N.Other motor?
Nothing whatsoever and you'll get better performance from any of Tamiyas modern 23 turn motors. The one technical advantage is that they fit straight in to the 959 and Celica chassis.

It's so valuable as it's the motor that was Tamiyas highest spec in the mid/late 80s and was included in the Bigwig, Avante, 959 and Celica GrB.

Yes, very much so. They usually sell in good condition for 40-50.

Nothing whatsoever and you'll get better performance from any of Tamiyas modern 23 turn motors. The one technical advantage is that they fit straight in to the 959 and Celica chassis.

It's so valuable as it's the motor that was Tamiyas highest spec in the mid/late 80s and was included in the Bigwig, Avante, 959 and Celica GrB.

oooer!

Let's hope I trip over a crate of them - you know the crate next to the pile of bullion at the bottom of the money tree.............. :blink:

Let's hope I trip over a crate of them - you know the crate next to the pile of bullion at the bottom of the money tree.............. :)

Mmm, shipping box of NIB Technigold motors... That'd be quite a find.

And you all forgot - They are worth so much because they are MAGIC motors! :blink: They generate a lot of torque for their specs.

Did you get the brush spreading tool and the brush spring tool with the motor? They make rebuilding the motor a good deal easier. You might want to rebuild it, clean the comm (or have it skimmed) and replace those brushes with proper Technigold ones and solder the pigtails/condenser back on properly. Apparently using the Technipower/tuned brushes can negatively impact performance.

- James

I wanted to really see if it would work. Before went threw all the trobule sticking it the runner 959. I already have someting in mind to rerun the pigtails. I am going to use some leads off a set or brushes will work perfectly. It just where exactly they are supposed to go cannot figure out or I prob would have installed them. I cannot see the ones on my shelf queen not going to take it apart and risk breaking something to to see them. I am not going put the resistor back on it wont need it. Its not a diode or capcitor its a resistor far as I know. Somebody could post a pig where exactly the pig tails should go would like that.