Tamiyaclub.com (domain name) is 10 years old today

47 replies to this topic

#26 Backlash

Backlash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1037 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

Well, my join date was 2nd July 2004, and it doesnt seem that long ago to me... Oh how time flies when your having fun..

Would like to wish a big HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY to TAMIYACLUB, and to thank Chris, and all of the TC members that helped make the site what it is today..

HIP HIP HOORAY..

Here's to the next 10 years..
He who dies with the most toys wins..

#27 Origineelreclamebord

Origineelreclamebord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3271 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:32 AM

Congrats! :D I don't know how big Tamiyaclub started off (I became a member late 2007), but I think it is a superb community! I'd love to stick around and see the 20th birthday of TC :)

#28 rc-martin

rc-martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:18 AM

Happy Birthday Tamiyaclub!! I keep popping back every now and then to try and keep up with things, sadly most of my collection is boxed up in the garage where it's been since we moved house 2 years ago, maybe i'll get them out for the 10th anniversary of the first big meet we had at Clumber Park. :lol:

Clumber Park Meet 2002

#29 stulec52

stulec52

Advanced Member

• TC_Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2065 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:23 AM

Happy Birthday to Tamiya Club, and yes I share the day as it's my own birthday that day too.

I'm so glad I got to meet a few of you guys at that Clumber meet, which was about 2 weeks before I moved to Canada.

I've made so many real friends through the club over the years, been to a few places I would normally never have been it hadn't been for some of those guys.
Alex, you'll have to come to visit me mate, or settle for random chats !

I'm a racer first and foremost, but a nostalgic one, so I just love collecting stuff I either used to race, or wanted to own when I was younger.
My biggest issue now, is just that I got all the cars that were on that mental list, so don't have quite the drive to come here every day for the cars, but the people here keep me coming back anyway.

I'm very honoured and lucky to have the number 1 car in my showroom. I should change the description somewhat to reflect that, but the description up there was what it got on day one.
the car is still on my display shelf, and still looks exactly the same, even though it has repro decals, and I did buy a genuine Tamiya set for it, so I might 1 day do a re-paint, although would need to get some Halfords paint again to match !

big thanks to you Chris, when I think back to the chats we had about swapping cars, and what else this might lead to, I didn't know what was possible, or how big it could become, so hats off to you sir.
Stu from Scotland

#30 Incredible_Serious

Incredible_Serious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:37 AM

Alex, you'll have to come to visit me mate, or settle for random chats !

Come up to Canadia???? Best not to hold your breath....... could be a while......

... when I think back to the chats we had about swapping cars, and what else this might lead to...

I hope this is not a 'keys in the bowl' moment.... wouldn't have had you picked for going to THAT sort of party, Stu...

:unsure:

Alex
I didn't do a half-******* job... I used both cheeks.

#31 stulec52

stulec52

Advanced Member

• TC_Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2065 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:55 AM

I was just happy to have somewhere I could actually swap CARS, rather than just have to buy them.

speaking of that, I joined E-Bay in 99, before that was placing ads in RRC mag, and local post office notice boards.
now so much hunting for deals is done sat at my computer.
Stu from Scotland

#32 Dazza1

Dazza1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

Hi news on these 'special events' that were mentioned back in November ??

sorry but I'm excited and have a thought of a big meet in mind just like kiddy 07

Daz

#33 Skottoman

Skottoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1742 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Wayback..... :)

http://web.archive.o...tamiyaclub.com/

#34 SteveAdair

SteveAdair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hi all,
Well, I'm 45 and have 2 young kids. They are the reason I dusted off my old Manta Ray from the loft and now I'm hooked again. This is a great site that I now visit daily. Happy Birthday TC and thanks to everyone for helping make it such fun.
Steve

#35 Chain Driven

Chain Driven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hi news on these 'special events' that were mentioned back in November ??

sorry but I'm excited and have a thought of a big meet in mind just like kiddy 07

Daz

Yes, any news Guys?

Cheers

J.

#36 wolfdogstinkus

wolfdogstinkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2014 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Great website, here's to another 10years. :lol: cheers.gif

#37 bugged

bugged

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

:unsure: Shocking...Ive been here for 8 of those years (have to ask myself ) Why there isnt more models in my showroom :D

Anyways HAPPY BURPDAY TC :lol: Here`s to another 10 years :blink:

#38 prplehz

prplehz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

Wow! Happy Birthday! If it wasn't for this site I would not have around 50 RC cars. I have loved every minute of it and here is to 10 more.
God made dirt, and dirt don't hurt.

#39 berman

berman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

Only been here a short while but many thanks to Chris and to all the members of this club!
I've learned so much, met some great people (online and off) had a great time and a fanatastic nostalgia trip along the way!

Nice big family atmosphere! :ph34r: Happy Birthday TamiyaClub! Loved by 30,000 guys around the world, hated by 30,000 wives :mellow:
I♥♡STELLAMODELS
The best place in the world to buy online!

#40 skywhelp

skywhelp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

Happy belated B Day :D TC has been a great place to be, Found it years ago just after the rere frog got to the UK and it got to me ;), but was a techno phobe when it came to the web, so just lurked was planning to join but took me till 11 but it has been font of information and laughs along the way so Big thanks to Chris, mod, subscribers, members, all who make it what it is and a moment for those who are gone but not forgotten.

Here's to the next ten in the addiction :D

#41 Badboy

Badboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2513 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

Wayback..... :)

http://web.archive.o...tamiyaclub.com/

OMG!!! Who could ever believe that TC would become a host for 38474 members?!!

Badboy

You Play Hard To Get, I Play Hard To Want!
Stockholm,SWEDEN

#42 netsmithUK

netsmithUK

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5869 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

OMG!!! Who could ever believe that TC would become a host for 38474 members?!!

Badboy

I remember that site from 2002 - it even featured the live chat system so people could just ask me stuff in real time. I was just pleased when someone contact me for a chat. It soon became too much to try and handle though.

I might see if I can did out any of my old designs - think we are actually on about v4 or v5 now

Chris

#43 Torquer

Torquer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Sorry I'm late to the party.... :(

I started here at TC without kids, however, now I'm still here even after two kids...which reminds me...I need to go order a Hornet for one of the kids! :D

Glad the site is still up and running after 10 years....! Thank you!
I am not a Screw Bag...I am a Complete Kit!

#44 j-man

j-man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Late to the party too :huh:

Happy Birthday Tamiyaclub "You OLD tart "
Well i'm now 42 and have 2 children...BOY i FEEL OLD !!! ;)
Over the past few months i have dwindled the collection down a wee tad too.
The mother in law bought me slippers for xmas and i said "what's these all about, no tamiya kit ?" she informed me i was now over the hill and shouldn't be playing with toy's "sarcastic laugh", I said "no i don't think i am", she said "are you sure?" i said " i might be wrong but it's highly unlikely ...lol :P

I hope Tamiyaclub carry's on for many many years to come. Just a thought couldn't we start TAMIYAPUB.COM where we all meet up and get RAT AR*ED? :)

On a more serious note though have you seen the size of that SAUSAGE?

huge_sausage_01.jpg

#45 Incredible_Serious

Incredible_Serious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Just a thought couldn't we start TAMIYAPUB.COM where we all meet up and get RAT AR*ED? ;)

Think of all the new Hornet liveries we could come up with.....

Hmmm..... on second thought.....

:)
I didn't do a half-******* job... I used both cheeks.

#46 Hibernaculum

Hibernaculum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Belated congrats to Tamiyaclub for making it past 10 years, and to Chris for the huge amount of work a site like this involves.
I remember the simple old message board that existed before this site (forgotten the name now), as I was buying vintage stuff on eBay from late 1999 and would occasionally find that forum via "Alta Vista" and read the threads there :P
But I didn't trust the idea of trading with any random people from some open message board, so I just stuck with eBay :P (and traded with random people via their 'honour' system)

As for the cycle of life...

1. Hit 30 - discover you have a bit of disposable income, a yearning for something retro and an old rc in the loft.
2. The golden years - after finding the club and ebay, spend the next few years spending and playing like there is no tomorrow. Life is sweet as your restored sand scorcher - you are 16 again
3. Hit 40 - novelty is wearing a bit thin, kids are costing more, space becomes an issue, wife finally has had enough of your 'junk'
4. Sell some models to make space, put some in the loft and only keep out your favourites.
5. hit 45 and you realise that all the models you have are now in the loft and you haven't touched any for 2 years. Batteries are dead and rubber is perished.
4. Tempted to the dark side. Sell remaining kit and turn to Golf.

Golf? ;) ;)

So far it's been...
1. 15 and already know you want to collect vintage Tamiyas. Trawl newspapers and hobby shops, but with little or no money.
2. 20, earning money, but figure there's probably no chance of finding new vintage kits/parts anywhere in the world. Almost give up.
3. New "Internet" shows promise. Then eBay. Wow, unbuilt/NIB/NIP vintage?!?!
4. Spend $$$$$$$$$$
5. Tamiyaclub. Lurk. Spend $$$$$$$$$$. Join. Spend $$$$$$$$$$.
6. Married. Honeymoon. Whilst on overseas honeymoon, search every nearby hobby shop for vintage. Spend $$$$$$$$$$$
7. Hit 30. Celebrate with Tamiya $$$$$$$$$$
8. Buy house. Ensure it has space for an R/C track.
9. Hit 35. Celebrate with Tamiya $$$$$$$$$$
10. Future: $$$$$$$$$$$$$????????????

And on it goes :)
(This is what happens when there are no kids in the plan)

H.
www.rctoymemories.com - My nostalgia site about vintage and retro radio controlled cars & other toys.

#47 netsmithUK

netsmithUK

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5869 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

I've not quite gone to golf yet, thankfully.

Oldest child, the same one that used to run around at tc events uprighting crashed buggies (and that was a lot of uprighting) and was happy to be paid with a hat and a beanie, is now just about to start university, which is going to cost a kidney.

Exciting news on TC2012 event... cant say more yet. :)

#48 Gruntfuggly

Gruntfuggly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3785 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Exciting news on TC2012 event... cant say more yet.

Such a tease... :blink:
"Scampering along the unmade track raising clouds of dust; this is one of the charms of off-road running."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users