Butler

Hyper 7 Brushless Conversion

Decided to flog my 1/10 scale off road stuff and build something strong that I can take anywhere.

A mate had been singing the praises of his old school Hyper 7 for sometime, so I got him to source me one.

IMAG0060.jpg

post-3117-1325692616_thumb.jpg

After a much surfing around the web, its seems the most common battery source is 4s lipo, so settled on 6s. lol. I don't like the idea of running the battery down one side, so decided a twin pack setup would work. Plus I have the option of running 3 or 6s.

Looked for a motor and settled on a leopard 2000kV.

IMAG0065.jpg

post-3117-1325692998_thumb.jpg

Picked up a second hand Toro 8 esc and tested the electrics with the batteries I had.

Appeared to work.

Ordered a 13T pinion which I think is low, but good for testing without overloading drawing too much power.

The RC monster mount arrived, very nice bit of engineering.

post-3117-1325750623_thumb.jpg

But I wanted to put my twin batts at the back, so I cut the chassis and rotated the whole mount and centre diff 180 degrees.

post-3117-1325766241_thumb.jpg

post-3117-1325766264_thumb.jpg

Much better layout - been weighing up similar options for my NDF-01 conversion, although looks like i'll also have to fabricate a replacement alloy section which sits in the plastic chassis tub as the stock Tamiya nitro one isn't particularly easy to mod.

Nice !! Wont go wrong being 1/8 scale <_< what esc you gunna run? Would reccoment spider diffs aswell if your budget will cover it.

My lipos came and I lashed it in the car and tested. Performance is mental.

post-3117-1325780177_thumb.jpg

Installed. Space is tight. The motor shaft is about .5mm from the left lipo, which is in turn .5mm from the rear lower wishbone.

The motor is also almost touching the steering post.

post-3117-1325780299_thumb.jpg

Since completing the car I got about 1/2 a battery pack of use before the ESC failed. It seems the BEC has died on it, as I can get it too work with a seperate pack of 4xAAs.

I ordered a new ESC from HobbyKing which I am in the process of fitting.

Hi,

Yeah I got it running with the Hobbyking esc and is still mental fast. However I had a few issues with screws backing out, and the diffs are a bit loose, so I decided to rebuild the whole car. Found lots of parts that had damaged threads and bought some thick oil for the diffs. Just the front end left to put back together. Awaiting a shock shaft and a diff seal.

Once its running again I might look at finding the best pinion size.

Cheers,