Sign in to follow this  
Percymon

Talk to me about 4 channel radios for 3 speeders

With all the talk of Bruisers, and 3 speeds lately thought it would be useful to create a thread about what you need and how it works with the 3 speed cars.

I understand the basics that the left stick needs three up and down planes, for forward and reverse in the 3 different gears - but how is this described when looking at 4 channel radio systems>

For instance i looked at Hobbykings own branded systems - they have two 2.4Ghz systems described as 4 channel with, as best i can see, only two sticks. One is described as V1 mode and the other V2 mode, which i believe is just which stick is throttle (left or right handed if you like). No point buying one of those if the ''throttle'' stick is only single plane and the third and fourth channel operate differently. I know multichannel systems are required for planes and tanks, so what separates them from car controllers ?

So , if buying a 4 channel radio/transmitter what are the technical terms you need to be looking for ?

Basically any 2 stick 4 channel controller should work,the V1/V2 difference is which stick is throttle as the throttle is a ratchet not self centreing

The sticks move up/donw and left/right on both sides,the tamiya trucks(lorries) use a 4-channel system and when I had one I had it setup

as left stick was speed and gear right stick was steering

You can get a shift gate for the throttle/gear stick which makes it easier to select the gears whilst running

Great - looking arounf UK retailers there are soem reasonably priced 2.4GHz 4 channel systems, etronix around £40

Perhaps not very period looking, unlike Acoms AP-427 for instance, but should be capable enough for the money

Great - looking arounf UK retailers there are soem reasonably priced 2.4GHz 4 channel systems, etronix around £40

Perhaps not very period looking, unlike Acoms AP-427 for instance, but should be capable enough for the money

The ETronix systems are good value obviously not as good as say a Futaba Fasst sysytem,but at 1/4 the price what can you expect

The main problem with a lot of RC systems now are the trim levers,as they're NOT ratchet type

But saying that unless you're after using a model with an MFC then it wouldn't matter

MFC models need ratchet trims so you can use the extra functions

Is it possible to use a wheel type radio with multi-functions?

If so, does anyone have a model or brand they could recommend?

One of the original Spektrum DX3 3 channel radios works as it had a 3 position 3rd channel, but a lot of them now only have a 2 position 3rd.

Check what the 'extra' channels are capable of - if they're only 2 position then they won't be much good.

Netsmith had his Mounty working off either a DX3 or 3.0, the 3pos third channel selected the gearing, the trigger operated the throttle as normal

The great thing about a switched setup was it stayed in the selected gear all the time

You might even be able to mod a Traxxas (TQ3?) wheel set to work, check out http://www.rccrawler.com for mods, 3pos 3rd channel is also handy for dig systems on crawlers.

RC4WD also have it covered; http://store.rc4wd.com/XR4-4-Channel-24Ghz...adio_p_676.html

XR4 - A revolutionary advanced radio system at an unbelievable price. The only radio with 3rd and 4th channel 3 position switch, made for DIG swith, winch, light or other custom function.

You might need one of these too http://store.rc4wd.com/Volts-Universal-EPA...ule_p_1441.html

DSC_0243.jpg

I have a Spektrum DX3C and it has a 3rd aux channel that has 3 positions, I use it for lights, but position 1 would need to be already in 1st gear. Don't know if that helps ?

On sticks, left/right/centred movement all select their own gear so at any time, with sticks, the truck's always in one gear

With a switched selector, position one or three would be 4WD/Low or 2WD/High (depending on channel reversing or preference) with position 2 being 2WD/Med

From the Bruiser page, imagine the left/right axis of the stick as a 3 position switch;

img169_17012010121003_5.jpg

Thanks for the info, looks like it is just easier maybe to use a stick radio. May be time to broaden my horizons.

I guess I really should be thinking about winch and other accessories too.

You can get shift gates for the left stick that make it easy to keep in gear.

Lots of them on ebay for the various radios. I got a carbon fiber one for my Futaba 4YF.

kh_build_41.jpg

One of the original Spektrum DX3 3 channel radios works as it had a 3 position 3rd channel, but a lot of them now only have a 2 position 3rd.

Check what the 'extra' channels are capable of - if they're only 2 position then they won't be much good.

Netsmith had his Mounty working off either a DX3 or 3.0, the 3pos third channel selected the gearing, the trigger operated the throttle as normal

The great thing about a switched setup was it stayed in the selected gear all the time

You might even be able to mod a Traxxas (TQ3?) wheel set to work, check out http://www.rccrawler.com for mods, 3pos 3rd channel is also handy for dig systems on crawlers.

RC4WD also have it covered; http://store.rc4wd.com/XR4-4-Channel-24Ghz...adio_p_676.html

You might need one of these too http://store.rc4wd.com/Volts-Universal-EPA...ule_p_1441.html

DSC_0243.jpg

I've got an original DX3 out in the shed, should check that 3rd channel selector, may be about to become very handy :D

If so, does anyone have a model or brand they could recommend?

I used the Spektrum dx3e with my bruiser worked great, very easy to setup with the dial adjusters (even for throttle) and has a nice 3ch switch.

The dx3c is nice too but switches not so efficiently placed

Alternativ could be a 'hacked' flysky GT3B, if got one with the 6channel software and it really does crab and 4WS and has channels left for winch and lights.