162 replies to this topic

#51 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

What about leaving the water? Aren't you relying on the prop to push you far enough up the bank to drop the float and start the wheels?

Ermmmmmmmm good point . i'll rethink this a liitle ;)

#52 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

This is what i love about this forum . Sometimes what seems like a great idea to yourself is a obvious mistake to others . They dont take the urine though . What a fantastic bunch of guys .

#53 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Just out of interest am i the only one who makes a proper technical drawing before starting a project like this ? I mean old school on a draftmans drawing board .I was lucky enough to find a decent image and i've since resized it to match the size of the model i'am working on . Using that i have overlayed the modifications to ensure everything will fit .

Attached Thumbnails

• Ford_GPA__LIMITED_to_500px___150x90_.jpg

#54 30YrsL8r

30YrsL8r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

Drawings? Yes. Technical? Errr.

Attached Thumbnails

• RIMG0261.JPG

Showroom: here
Build Thread: here

#55 Sayer

Sayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

Drawings? Yes. Technical? Errr.

The important bit is that it works.
Resident Taiyo/Tyco Fanboy.

#56 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

The important bit is that it works.

True . BTW i've just managed to order a set of T -Rex 60 axels for $79.00 plus shipping . Used items but like new . Absolute bargin :P Direct from rc4wd i have the leaf springs and mounts , steering links, servo mounts and a 55t crawler motor on order . Long way to go yet but its coming along .

#57 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

I've also ordered this item

http://store.rc4wd.c...wler_p_681.html that will allow me to easily switch between the wheels drive motor and the prop drive . What i like about it is that its enclosed and i'll have no need to mess about with a third servo and switch .I'll have this on channel 3 and just flick the switch on the hand set to swop drives . I love it when a plan comes together :P I'am thinking that Futaba 3PMX 2.4Ghz Radio System w/R603FF Receiver might be ideal but if you know of a better and ideally cheaper one let me know plz . if you have a second hand unit your willing to sell PM me please .

I'll start a proper build thread ASAP .

#58 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

I've finally worked out the drive train . What i'am going to do is mount a rc4wd killer 1.1 transfer case under the 'hull' . Its a oil filled sealed unit so water should'nt be a problem . The drive from the wheels motor will be a rc boat set up passing through the hull . I think a m4 shaft will be strong enough . Prop drive and rudder will be std rc boat items . All in all a simple design when combined with the T-rex 60 plastic axels, a waterproof servo and leaf springs .

#59 igbandy

igbandy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

A couple of things,

1/ The RC$WD rocker dig switch is unreliable. I bought one a few years ago for an MOA crawler and it was nothing but trouble. I ended up using a mini servo and two microswitches and they never gave me any trouble.

1/ The RC$WD killer transfer box doesnt hold oil that well. I have one and it is now grease filled. There are no proper seals on the input and output shafts, only metal shielded bearings. I dont think that using rubber shielded bearings will offer enough seal against water.

#60 Percymon

Percymon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7140 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

Just out of interest am i the only one who makes a proper technical drawing before starting a project like this ? I mean old school on a draftmans drawing board .I was lucky enough to find a decent image and i've since resized it to match the size of the model i'am working on . Using that i have overlayed the modifications to ensure everything will fit .

I hope that not the final size - might be a challenge finding electrics for a matchbox :(

Nice drawings btw.

Me - i just get on with it and see what happens !

History last 3.9yrs.. spent a fortune, had a great time - balls, I'm back up to 60 models again !   Visit My Showroom

#61 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

A couple of things,

1/ The RC$WD rocker dig switch is unreliable. I bought one a few years ago for an MOA crawler and it was nothing but trouble. I ended up using a mini servo and two microswitches and they never gave me any trouble.

1/ The RC$WD killer transfer box doesnt hold oil that well. I have one and it is now grease filled. There are no proper seals on the input and output shafts, only metal shielded bearings. I dont think that using rubber shielded bearings will offer enough seal against water.

Thanks for the advice . I'll see how i go with the rocker dig switch as its on its way from the states as is the transfer box . I'll pack it with waterproof grease .

#62 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

Has anyone used these tires from the source in this thread ? Scale and looks wise their 100 % what i need but i've tried to contact the guy for details with no luck . Ideally i want to fit them to landie rims to get the hex drive .The axels i'am using are 7.5 inche hex to hex so i need something narrow tires wise and a off set rim to get them within the wheel arches .

Attached Thumbnails

• jeep_tires.jpg

#63 Sayer

Sayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Has anyone used these tires from the source in this thread ? Scale and looks wise their 100 % what i need but i've tried to contact the guy for details with no luck . Ideally i want to fit them to landie rims to get the hex drive .

Hmm... no idea about the scale, but those don't look like they'd be wide enough for landy wheels...
Resident Taiyo/Tyco Fanboy.

#64 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hmm... no idea about the scale, but those don't look like they'd be wide enough for landy wheels...

I know :( . I might have to go with rc4wd rims and mud grabbers or similar .
EDIT peter at scale elements has the ones i need plus the tires but they look too 'modern' for a jeep/seep . ;) Far , far cheaper too .

#65 Percymon

Percymon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7140 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Your inbox is full so posted here..

White plastic landie wheels are from hwpeterl <sp>. Item 280854101322

Also radshape have black or White landie wheels with Tyres for 10/pair, search ebay for 90mm Kong

History last 3.9yrs.. spent a fortune, had a great time - balls, I'm back up to 60 models again !   Visit My Showroom

#66 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

Your inbox is full so posted here..

White plastic landie wheels are from hwpeterl <sp>. Item 280854101322

Also radshape have black or White landie wheels with Tyres for 10/pair, search ebay for 90mm Kong

Cheers Buddie .

#67 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

This is the most scale looking tire i can find . On landie rims i think it will look 'close enough' to ww2 jeep / ford gpa .Everything else is either too wide or too modern looking IMO .Big plus is that these come with free wheel weights that will help to add some ballast when its 'swiming'

Attached Thumbnails

• most_scale_jeep_tire.jpg

#68 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hopefully i'll have all the running gear here by the end of next week and have a rolling chassis . Once i do i'll start a proper build thread .At the moment all i have to show is a large green 'tub' full of unfinished fiberglass work that needs sorting out to mount the leaf springs . I need to have them here to get a exact fit .
Edit . The main drive 'prop shaft' from the wheels motor was causing a few problems design wise but rc boat couplings allow you to match shaft sizes either end very easily as you can order them as required ie M4 threaded to 5mm plain ect

#69 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Has anyone bought or used
Komodo Nylon Rock Crawler Driveshafts ? Are they any good ?

#70 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Other than the sources already in the thread does anyone know of anywhere else to buy 1/6 scale fittings ect ?

#71 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

This is what i'am aiming for in terms of looks . Its 1/35th scale and hard to find NIB these days . In 1/6th i can add as much detail as i want .

Attached Thumbnails

• tamiya_gpa.jpg

#72 igbandy

igbandy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Has anyone bought or used
Komodo Nylon Rock Crawler Driveshafts ? Are they any good ?

Very similiar to Axials SCX10 drive shafts. I have a set here from a Komodo dragon crawler that I got cheap for a project. They have metal UJ`s, and would benefit from some drive shaft rings. The rings go over the drive shaft, and stop the plastic coupler splaying under heavy load.

http://www.cmldistri...ctId=0000004128

#73 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Very similiar to Axials SCX10 drive shafts. I have a set here from a Komodo dragon crawler that I got cheap for a project. They have metal UJ`s, and would benefit from some drive shaft rings. The rings go over the drive shaft, and stop the plastic coupler splaying under heavy load.

http://www.cmldistri...ctId=0000004128

Do you happen to know if the uj's are 5mm ID ( inside dia ) as i want to use them with a rc4wd killer transfer box and T-Rex 60 axels ?

#74 igbandy

igbandy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Do you happen to know if the uj's are 5mm ID ( inside dia ) as i want to use them with a rc4wd killer transfer box and T-Rex 60 axels ?

Yes they are 5mm id.

#75 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yes they are 5mm id.

sound as a pound :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic