Mardave V12 on the way

5 replies to this topic

#1 markbt73

markbt73

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

I don't know how the idea of one of these little cars burrowed its way into my thoughts, but I've been thinking about one for quite a while now. So yesterday, as a combination gift-to-myself for a bonus at work, and after-the-fact souvenir of our trip to England, I pulled the trigger on one of these: V12 Hot Rod Club Kit.

I haven't had a pan car in quite a while, and not 1/12 scale in even longer, so it should be interesting. I'm guessing it will remind me of the old super-simple BoLink kits, of which I had several.

Photos coming when it gets here... I got the notification that it shipped this morning.

#2 Flat_Out

Flat_Out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

I've got a couple of the Mardave V-Dud Special's that are based on the V12 platform. They're really cool cars. Simple, but fun! I like how they are constructed.
Was a pain to find them, as I believe they were never sold here in the USA, and the beetle kit was discontinued some time ago. I had both of them shipped to me from the UK.
They remind me of the old Bolink cars too. Have fun with it!
Posted Image
Collector of all things VW

#3 markbt73

markbt73

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Yes, it is sort of the British cousin to the old Bolink cars. That's probably why I like it so much. I had several Bolinks over the years, and plan on getting a couple more (though they're called RJ Speed now).

Assembled and running now, using a Tamiya TEU104BK ESC in place of the scary-looking MSC and a 6.6V LiFe battery. Had a quick blast around the driveway between rainstorms on Sunday. Very quick, doesn't understeer as badly as I expected it to with the straight rear axle. Actually handles quite well. I can already tell tires won't last too long, however. Luckily Kamtec ships fast...

Posted Image

Body is trimmed and awaiting paint; will have some photos when it's done. It will be French blue (it's a Peugeot, after all) with the red pinstripes and other minor details from the road-going T16. I'm not going overboard with detailing on this one, as I have a suspicion this car will get driven hard...

#4 commiedoor

commiedoor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

these things have been around for years !!! i remember them in rc car magazines back in the 70's , ugly looking old style 'banga ' cars hammering around a circuit .. lol alway wanted one of them !
52 rc cars -- really out of room now .. gotta stop soon ! . ;)

#5 markbt73

markbt73

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Here it is, ready to abuse...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Might be the simplest paint job I ever did. One coat of Pactra Blue Streak and some scraps of sign vinyl, black for the windows and reflective for the lights. I might add a couple little things to it, but not much. Time to go drive!

#6 bromvw

bromvw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

These might well be a very simple design but they work really well on both clay and tarmac . Some guys at our local 1.1 banga track ( Northhampton ) run these with insane brushless motors on 3s . GREAT fun and cheap too .

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users