Skottoman

Skottoman's VW Samba Project

Yes, I'm doing another build thread... I must be losing my mind!

This is a Maisto VW Samba RC I purchased last christmas, and tossed the chassis because I wanted to use the body for something.

I have yet to know what this will turn into, but I do know it fits an M04L wheelbase perfectly, so I'm building up one of those for it. I ordered some rally tires, and have locked the diff so it should at least get by on semi rough off road.

As far as the shell? I'm going to attempt a weathered, ratty, rusty, junk bucket. Maybe a rally stripped down theme? Toss in a Willy? Roll cage? Plaid seats? Dunno yet... But it's going to be all or partially PERIWINKLE in color! haha :D

For those wondering, I've never done this before, just going to read online how to do things, and pretty much "wing it"... Haha....

Started on the body. Main problem is all the "fake" windows, had to dremel them ALL out. What a pain...

Also started some rusted away portions, and added some dents.

On with the pix!

Cheers,

Skottoman

samba_01.jpg

samba_02.jpg

samba_03.jpg

samba_04.jpg

I like where this is going!

If you Google images for Baja busses, you are sure to come up with plenty of inspiration.

I was very tempted to build a full-size one, but ended up going for a Baja bug instead.

Do keep us posted with your progress!

• Like 1

If you Google images for Baja busses, you are sure to come up with plenty of inspiration.

Oooh! Good Ideas! Perhaps a Willy driven Baja Bus with roll cage? Not sure the M04 is up to the task, but maybe it is?

I think this is the path this VW bus must go!

Thanks for the search idea!

Cheers,Skottoman

After seeing the 2CV, I am prepared to be no less than stunned by the end result! And as mentioned by others, I too really like where this project is going already!

• Like 1

Sweet !! Another project . I love your work & detail .

So this is going to be a fantastic project .

So far this is comming along great .

Where do you find the time ?. :lol: .

• Like 1

Scott's on a roll! Loving this already, can't wait for the next installment :)

• Like 1

I have 2 of two of these, but I've not gone to these lengths!

Looking forward to what is coming.....

• Like 2

Basic painting is done. Need to sand/detail/weather, etc...

But I tried a strange technique of sticking salt on the shell between colors.

Turned out pretty good, need to clean it and sand off some more, but it actually made it look like a mess! Haha...

Just fun to experiment, I don't worry so much anymore if I mess something up...

Cheers,

Skottoman

samba_13.jpg

samba_14.jpg

samba_15.jpg

samba_16.jpg

• Like 1

Finished effect looks like bubbling paint with rust underneath it. Mission accomplished I'd say.

• Like 2

The good thing about using the old salt trick is that it will age and weather down natually as the remaining salt gets rubbed off when running . Looking great so far Scott .

• Like 1

So more detailing for the basic shell... Used a wash of dark green and black mixed to paint body lines, add basic grime and dirt, and paint the window rubbers. I read somewhere that solid black doesn't look as scale as a shade of grey, and they were right! Especially on a van this messed up!

Also some crushed pastel dirt, and some detail to the VW badge... So much more to go, and I'm still not sure where this is going to end up!

samba_20.jpg

samba_21.jpg

Hard to believe, it used to look like this just a short while ago! What have I done?! Hahah... :D

samba_03.jpg

• Like 1

Are you planning a complete internal fit out too?

If so, I'm looking forward to seeing a Brevile sandwich Toaster in there, no campers complete without one.

Looks amazing by the way.

- A

• Like 1

Well honestly, I'm torn between doing something unique, with a Willy, roll cage, more Baja themed stripped down race machine look...

OR

Go all out scale vehicle with this thing. Interior, the works, etc.

I think part of it will be determined by how well it fits on the M04L chassis, and how much room is left inside...

How about going for a mix of both? A Baja-inspired vehicle, with big tyres, cage etc, along with plenty of scale accessories as would be found on a full-size vehicle tackling a desert crossing?

• Like 1

Scott IMO the more 'crappy' it looks the better . Baja rat bus would be very cool .

• Like 1

Broken surf board in the back, broken windows and a few flat tyres - abandoned !!

Great work Scott-pictures speak for themselves.

• Like 1