Sign in to follow this  
dyahipfakta

TL01 trail rig

I have turned my TL01 touring car into more of an offroad trail truck with the addition of the body off of my wild dagger and some 2.2 wheels. I anticipated gearing would be a major issue but took it out to see how it went. Tbh it went better then expected and it ran quite well but temps got far too high too quickly. I cant really add a reduction box because the motor is already too close to the wheels. I cant really change the pinion too much without hacking the gearbox to bits. The only real option is a very high turn motor. 80T would this be sufficient with stock gearing as I am very new to this going slow thing. I usually try to do quite the opposite.

An 80T motor would be great for serious rock crawling activity, but probably far far too slow for a TL-01 chassis.

For woodland trail / roots type running drop a 45T in and see how it goes - if you are used to speed, then anything slower than this will just turn you off the whole thing completely. Anythign more serious in terms of trail and you should look elsewhere in terms of chassis - the TL-01 won't offer enough axle articulation.

No I know it's not an ideal trail rig but thought it was worth a go and tbh it isn't too bad just lacks torque with big wheels stock.

No I know it's not an ideal trail rig but thought it was worth a go and tbh it isn't too bad just lacks torque with big wheels stock.

If you can pick up a 70/80T motor for £10-12 (i think RC4WD sell some at this sort of price level) then give it a go, what do you have to lose ?

Sorry i just don't get the whole crawling thing, but thats just me

Yeah that's why icdont wanna start hacking at the tl01 etc if I find it is quite dull I can just put it back to stock lol

Blacksmith do a budget 70T motor for only £8 posted and I have one fitted to my TL01 based 4x4 Willy project (havent we all got one of those :))

Has good trail running speed and decent climbing ability with the smallest pinion a TL with take (19T) but I've yet to take it out and give it a proper long run. No heat issues so far tho so it looks promising. I also have one in a CC01 and that hardly gets warm on long trail runs.

eBay link:

RC 1/10 Scale Rock Crawler Turn 70 540 Motor 6 - 7.2v

http://bit.ly/15m6A3y

I used a 55T in a modified TL01 for my plow truck, I was only using rally tires on it but it would move snow.

100_4813.jpg

My wife runs a TL01 Stadium Raider (basically the same rig as the OP has, just with a different sticker set) equipped with an Ansmann 80t motor, and it performs well. The motor has enough torque to handle 90mm tyres without gearbox mods, but is still fast enough for general trail work. Temperatures remain WNL, and battery life is excellent. It is a good trail companion for my 60t-equipped CC01.

Excellent thanks guys I didnt really want to go hacking the gearbox to bits to fit tiny pinions will get one of those cheap 70t motors on order I think

IMG_0476_zps257ecf1d.jpg

As requested a pic its not much to look at at the minute but you get the idea. Need to make some proper body mounts as they are cobbled together at the minute.

• Like 1

Yeah they are the ones I was talking about. Had to bend the motor tabs in and sand back the steering arms so they don't rub but nothing too drastic.

I find it helps if you add a 2mm washer between the hex hub and the wheel. Pushes the wheel out that little bit more but still allows the nylock nut to catch and hold the threads. Makes all the difference when the wheels cant rub on the steering.

Do you find the battery gets hung up a lot? I've often wondered if its a major problem.

No it's not too bad tbh if you don't mind the higher cog it's easy to put it up top anywaysooh my wild dagger the battery fits inside the chassis itself so might give that a try on the tl01 I like the washer idea will give that a go.

Bit of a thread revival but another question from me. Lol are there any special requirements for an esc for high turn motors such as a 70t or will any old one work? I have also decided to change direction with this as I came accross a very cheap bruder truck cab so will be some how mating the 2 together to form a kind or Dakar rally raid vehicle.

Bit of a thread revival but another question from me. Lol are there any special requirements for an esc for high turn motors such as a 70t or will any old one work? I have also decided to change direction with this as I came accross a very cheap bruder truck cab so will be some how mating the 2 together to form a kind or Dakar rally raid vehicle.

Any old ESC will work with high turn motors mate as they draw less current than the low turn ones . You might find 70t a bit slow in Dakar truck . i'd go for maybe a 35t .

Ok so my parts have all arrived and are mostly fitted.

70t motor from blacksmithproducts. (the cheap one)

Chinese esc 6 pounds

and my bruder cab

Fitted the motor and esc and have to say I am rather surprised. ESC is great and motor is slow enough with stock gears but still has enough speed and seems to have much more torque. Neither of which get even warm after 10 minutes so that is a win. So impressed with the 6 pounds esc I may order another as a spare!

Any ways bruder cab i really like and I think i will be using, needs a paint job and some adjustments but I think it works well.IMG_0508_zps65f1a097.jpg

So my jobs list now stands at.

• Adjust cab arches to fit wheels
  • Paint cab possibly olive green
  • Find a way to mount the cab
  • Make some adjustable steering arms
  • then see if I cant get abit more travel out of the suspension
  • Finally to decide what to do with the back half of the truck I dont really know about this one. Maybe a flatbed but not sure if the wheelbase would look odd. eg too short.

Wont happen very fast but will make an entertaining project.

• Like 2

How about TL-01LA parts to increase the suspension travel ? It looks like you could hide longer shocks under that truck cab and a box body on the rear would hide them too . Just a thought . It could make a good looking Dakar support truck maybe ??????/

Loads and loads of space under the cab its bigger then I thought to be honest. Ill have to look into the LA parts sounds interesting. Any ideas what I could build the rear section out of? I am planning on building an fake external roll cage for the cab out of plastic tubing if I can.

That looks very good. Hard to see its a TL01 under there. Even the battery placement is quite well placed and could be hidden by the fuel tanks.

I think it'd look good as the front of an articulated lorry, so it would just need a mocked up trailer hitching attachment plate.... then you just need to make a trailer :D

Loads and loads of space under the cab its bigger then I thought to be honest. Ill have to look into the LA parts sounds interesting. Any ideas what I could build the rear section out of? I am planning on building an fake external roll cage for the cab out of plastic tubing if I can.

Rear Section could be basically a box made from styrene ( plasticard ) but how about looking for a ready made one ? They come up on ebay or try a toy store and see what they have that could be adapted .

Thanks guys. Dismantled the cab for adjusting and painting. May have a play with some plasticard have to say its been something I wanted to do for a while.

Another little update. Was on night shift last night so when I got up at lunch time I put the cab back together after abit of paint and some home made stickers and test fitted it onto the TL01 as is. It works runs well and I think looks spot on I just need to make a better mount as its a fair amount of weight and the stock body posts aren't really cutting it.

IMG_0515_zps8518083f.jpg