xray mark

Advice needed about avante, vanquish and avante 2001

So i am one car short of collecting the entire avante family of cars, i have avante black special , avante 2011,a vanquish and an egress but am missing the avante 2001. I was thinking of getting one nib but after hearing the prices that is not going to happen. They have rereleased the 2001"body set as an option for the egress so my question is what is the difference between egress and 2001?, It may be easier and cheaper for me to buy a second egress and mount the 2001 shell on it and paint some avante wheels white or use the avante lightweight white wheels. I am only intending it for display so it does not have to be perfect replica anyway.

My other question is, the listed hop ups for the vanquish list the avante carbon chassis set as a hop up. So i am hoping that means i can get a rere avante chassis or a fibre lyte chassis and hop my vanquish up?. Will i need any parts other than Ali standoff posts and chassis plates?. With that and a set of hi cap rere dampers the vanquish will be well hopped up and looking smart.

The old Avante Carbon Chassis hopup is essentially the Egress plates, updated plastic bits & lots of hardware.

A carbon original Avante will become long wheelbase not short.

Was flicking thru the 2001 manual and it looks more like a Vanquish with FRP plates.

Putting the 2001 bodyset on an Egress chassis might get you a fully hopped up car

but not really what the "budget" 2001 is more about.

• Like 1

Agreed with WillyChang on this one.

The Avante carbon chassis hop-up as seen on the Egress would give your proposed project the correct proportions and chassis plate dimensions. The original Avante 2001 had FRP plates, but as you had specified them for a display model, the carbon may be prettier anyways! The FRP plates are arguably rarer these days, anyways...

In my opinion, a more-authentic Avante 2001 would involve the Egress kit; an Avante 2001 body set; black plastic CVAs (Mini at front; Short at rear); and a set of re-release Avante wheels painted white. You could then sell the black lightweight wheels (there is at least one person who could use a set!) and the Hi-Cap dampers if so desired, as combined they could probably cover the costs of a few of the additional accessories suggested.

... Come to think of it, that is not a bad idea for me should I ever want an Avante 2001!

Last winter i worked on restoring a 2001, if i should have done it one more time and thought about my wallet i would defently gone with an Egress and the 2001 body.

just lookin at a 2001 on flebay going for 149 at the mo.. looks in prity good nick as well maybe worth a look

Avante 2001 cames after the Egress and these are the major differences:

2001 chassis has the same shape than Egress but is FRP and not Carbon Fiber.

2001 rear shock tower has the same shape than Egress but is FRP and not Carbon Fiber.

2001 front shock tower is different from Egress and made of FRP. Has the same geometry of the Vanquish front shock tower.

2001 steering plate is made of FRP and is more narrow than the Carbon Fiber Egress one.

2001 front dampers geometry is like the Vanquish, rear dampers geometry is like the Egress.

2001 dampers are CVA II, Egress are Hi-Cap Dampers.

2001 front and rear arms are reinforced, Egress are thinner.

2001 has brace on the rear trailing arms, Egress has not.

2001 has Vanquish upper arms, Egress has Terra Scorcher ones.

2001 has not turnbuckles steering links, Egress has them.

2001 has Vanquish front bumper, Egress has Avante one.

2001 screws are steel, Egress are titanium.

2001 has gear diffs and center ball diff, Egress has ball diffs and center locked or center one way.

2001 is not full ball bearing equipped.

2001 has the Sport Tuned motor, Egress has no motor.

2001 has white cam lock wheels, Egress has the light weight ones.

2001 has the wide stud spikes tires, Egress has the hybrid Spike tires.

2001 has a different wing stay than the Egress.

2001 body, wing and undertray are different than Egress.

2001 has a driver, Egress has not.

At the end the Avante 2001 is the poor man Egress I think.

Max

• Like 2

also max missed out, the egress is a nice looking buggy the 2001 is a odd fish. I had one and didn't like the look of it, so off it went.

the last I seen it the guy had it on eBay before the re-re egress came out as an egress. he bought a kamtec body, real decals, hicaps wheels and tyres. cheeky man was trying to sell it as an egress, someone must have called him out as it got pulled from eBay.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Great information Kontemax :)

I am building a 2k1 from a vajra, and that info is very useful :D

@UKFOX: It's hard to convert a Vajra to an Avante 2001. The chassis plates are totally different, the rear and front damper towers are different but anyway nothing is impossible. You must buy many spare parts.

@SIDEWAYSDAVE69: Yes, the Avante 2001 is not so beautiful but is not due the body but the "preparation".

If you see my 2001 is not so bad to see. The major problems are in my opinion the Vanquish front bumper, the rear Egress shock configuration, the ugly plastic dampers and the ugly wing position.

If you mount a shorter Avante bumper, some Hi-Cap Dampers, rear Vanquish/Avante damper configuration and Avante wing mount as I did the Avante 2001 will be a good looker.

Max

• Like 1

Guys i need some more advice!. I just had my nib tamiya vanquish delivered and it contains several frp shock towers and a carbon fibre steering plate. Can anyone confirm what they are for?. I am hoping they might be avante 2001 as i intend to mod an egress into a hybrid 2001. I am unable to load pics for some reason , would someone please take a peek at my showroom..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?id=38638&cid=122619&t=12032014131124

I have to say once it has hi-caps, i think it looks better than the Egress but that is my honest opinion. Adding Egress wheels to it, makes it look great.

2K1_16%201.jpeg

2K1_18.jpeg

• Like 3

I will give you that, I think that's the nicest 2001 I have seen. the black lightweights and the hicaps go really well.

I will try and find a picture of mines looks like a turd compared to yours.

That does look nice but i think white wheels are the way to go with the blue box art body colour, either the originals or the avante lightweights. I have to say my head is spinning with all this info about the avante family. What's made it worse is the fact that i received quite a few frp shock towers with my vanquish kit delivered today. I have been told they are avante 2001 rear towers, carbon steering plate and the hop up front tower that comes with hi cap dampers?!. Pics are in my showroom if anyone wants to look. I am unsure if they can be fitted to vanquish with plastic chassis....

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=122619&id=38638

I understand fibrelyte in the uk can make plates for tamiyas in frp as well as carbon. I am not sure what to do now, wether to try and fit them to the vanquish or build as standard and regarding the 2001 i am unsure as well. I think an rere egress with rere 2001 bodyset will be easiest. Maybe with cva dampers painted black but hi caps are 2001 hop up anyway.

I wish tamiya would rere 2001 already , would solve my problem buts it's a good problem trying to figure out how to play with all my toys!!.

This is my Avante 2001. It is in poor condition, especially the body, and the wheels are from my Winger but here you can see what I said about the "preparation". My Avante 2001 has Avante little bumper and Avante/Vanquish rear dampers position and the wing is in a different position. The difference in front of original configuration is massive in my opinion.

IMG_2113_zps054ebe6e.jpg

IMG_2108_zps9df3a22f.jpg

IMG_2106_zps3c324fd3.jpg

Imagine it with the correct Avante 2001 wheels, the driver cockpit and a brand new body and stickers...

Max

That does look nice but i think white wheels are the way to go with the blue box art body colour, either the originals or the avante lightweights.

I have been told they are avante 2001 rear towers, carbon steering plate and the hop up front tower that comes with hi cap dampers?!. Pics are in my showroom if anyone wants to look. I am unsure if they can be fitted to vanquish with plastic chassis....

Also have the white light weight wheels with it. Also looks very good, just slightly less agressive.

The carbon plate that comes with the front hicaps is not meant for the 2K1, to my knowledge.

Guys i need some more advice!. I just had my nib tamiya vanquish delivered and it contains several frp shock towers and a carbon fibre steering plate. Can anyone confirm what they are for?. I am hoping they might be avante 2001 as i intend to mod an egress into a hybrid 2001. I am unable to load pics for some reason , would someone please take a peek at my showroom..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?id=38638&cid=122619&t=12032014131124

The multiple tall towers are 2001/Egress/Carbon-chassis rear shock towers. They work great with Hi-Caps and require Egress N parts, but push the shocks out to the back of the rear lower arms ala Egress (instead of inside the arms). Don't know if these parts work with the Vanquish plastic chassis as I never tried.

The stubby tower is from the original Hi-Cap front mini set. It's meant to be used on the Avante & Vanquish, but also works on the other cars. For the Avante, it's meant to have the long prongs face upward. For the Vanquish body, it's meant to have the long prongs face downward. When using this tower, egress lower shock mounts won't work. The shocks must be mounted directly to the lower arms.

The carbon steering bridge is from the Avante ball race steering kit. It works perfectly on a Vanquish and is stronger & stiffer than the FRP one. The ball raced bell cranks are the best part of this kit though, so if you have those use them with either steering bridge. There is a bit of hardware though to make them work.

Here is a Vanquish with all those oldschool hop ups:

01.jpg

D20_0092.jpg

Here is a standard Vanquish with hi-caps:

Sunset-3.jpg

RoadTest3_zpsabe9b340.jpg

• Like 3

I'd just hang fire, there's been a 2001 drought on ebay of late, but they'll resurface. I've bought two on there in reasonable condition, boxed, with drivers, radio gear and spares both for under £120 each.

As lots of folks upgraded their 2001 to rock the Egress carbon chassis and hi-caps, and Egress re-re conversion would certainly make it period. The one above on this thread looks sweet! Not the cheapest way of doing it though. Well, cheaper than buying an original nib though lol.

• Like 1