Model Number: 58004
Rear 2WD with no diff.
Independent Torsion Bars
Folded Aluminium Plate
Green Hard Plastic
13000 Yen/22800 Yen for re-release model
1,800g (incl. servo, CPR & Battery)
front:Balloon (width 29mm, diameter 75mm)
Rear:Balloon (width 29mm, diameter 75mm)
Highly detailed scale replica of US army vehicle. Mainly metal chassis with plastic torsion arms. Also reissued in 2001 in almost identical format except for metal torsion bars and allowances to fit modern 7.2 volt racing pack.
I have wanted a XR 311 for quite a while, but always ended up buying something i 'wanted more'.
Finally, i got my act together and bought a NIB one. Waited a while and then started to build it, with the intention of making it a runner all from the start.
I used an Acoms AS 12 servo and the TEU-101-BK esc, along with a Tamiya Reciever.
The build was in my opinion quite fiddly, compared to other models, due to the pretty massive amount of 2 mm screws and nuts, however, it went together without any major problems.
As i wanted a runner, i did not want to spend a giant amount of time painting it, so i just went with the factory-green colour, and only painted the interior details, the lights, the driver and the canvas top..
I think the adjustment of the torsion bars are quite good, when you get used to it, and the suspension on the car is WAY better than i had expected, not saying that it´s perfect, but still.
I used the 'middle-speed' gear, as i didn´t want a crawler, nor a racer, and the middle gear ratio seems fine to me.
I found that i the gears, in my opinion became very tight after mounting the rear cover on the gearbox, but this was easily sorted by drilling the 2 mm screw holes in the cover a little larger, about 2,5 mm, which made the gears move MUCH smoother. Also, i have used 1150 and 850 bearings where possible..
First impressions of running were that the car handles very well for such an old design, and is also pretty fast, compared to it´s driveability, and with no diff, it can really make a turn in no space at all.
Also, i found after the first battery-run, that my driver seems to be not so satisfied with either the seat, or my driving, as he had loosened from his seat, and lost both arms, LOL.. And this even though i had used Super Glue on both his arms and the seat.
Also, the arms is NOT a perfect fit on the steering wheel, so some 'adjustments' are called for..
All in all, i think it´s a very cool kit. Fun to build and very 'oldskool' to drive.. Great.. The 'fun-factor' of this car can be compared to running a Wild Willy i think.. Looks good, but NOT a very agile performer..
Kit build: 8 out of 10
Driveability: 6 out of 10
Offroad-capability: 3 out of 10
Realism / finished car: 9 out of 10
Fun Factor: 9 out of 10
I have the 2000 release kit. This kit is a joy. Everything goes together well and includes a lot of nice details on the body. I really like being able to select between 3 gear ratios (all the gears are included in the kit too) for differing terrain and speeds. Makes a unique addition to your collection as a display model or a fun to run machine. I would however suggest removing the mirrors if running outside since they are easy to knock off and would be very hard to find (Ask me how I know <grin>