Jump to content

Bwaaatch

Members
  • Content Count

    282
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

443 Excellent

About Bwaaatch

  • Rank
    Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Thanks @svenb and @94eg! . And a good excuse to go and eyeball a 1996 RC Guide Book 📕❤️ Sounds like I’ll be fine, and it gives me some confidence to actually plug it in! I’ve heard others say that the CPRs don’t drive well, so I have no plans to really run it. But my Shelfer policy is — like most people’s, I think — that it SHOULD run (without exploding!)
  2. Bumping this old thread back out of hibernation, hoping someone can point me towards a more recent and comprehensive answer … I just bought a 1996 Dyna-Run to match with a P-160f CPR. Advice above suggests 13T might be the limit for this CPR, and the Dyna-Run is indeed 13T (depending on how you measure, see the link to TamiyaBase above.) Anyone got experience of this combo? Or any knowledge on these things that might help? It's only for a shelfer, but I might wheel it round the room every now and again and would prefer not to see the magic smoke …
  3. This will be the motor. It's from 1996 – a little later than my imagined time frame. No problem! I plan to create a new sticker to cover the existing one (with a damage-free fitting, though the original sticker is actually quite bashed up anyway) with a new imagined name. I can pitch it as an experimental unreleased motor whose tech was later repurposed for the Dyna-Run. Box is a little yellowed, but still lovely. This is my first ever vintage motor in a box. Super jealous of those of you with big collections of all the classics.
  4. Unboxed my lovely new Adpsec and got it working outside the car. Worked fine first time. Adspec has a dual-rate wheel adjuster under the power switch, which was easier to find. The switch to reverse each channel where harder to spot. The are little white things on TOP of the TX. Don't think they are marked at all, and they are recessed, so you need a little tool to poke them each way. All fitted in, though the space for the CPR was a bit tight thanks to my custom outboard battery holder. Luckily, the Avante body seems perfectly designed for this CPR unit … Fits like a glove down at the tail end. All good. She runs! Next jobs: New Motor (I have a Dyna-run that just arrived). Will get a custom sticker. Decals (still need designing) Some fiddling with body mount at front, and creation of some kind of mounting at rear. Finish painting and recalling the driver I think I want to revise or redo the outboard battery mount. It's not quite chapped how I'd like it, and my magnets aren't strong enough. Also needs paint. Revise my backstory based on the experiences above!
  5. Thanks for all the nice comments! I'm having such fun doing this :-)
  6. https://mini4wd.uk/mini-4wd-racing/uk-race-dates I will try to be in there in November.
  7. Found this on eBay, it's perfect! To be period-correct for my build (which imagines an early/mid-nineties Avante reboot) I needed something from that timeframe. Getting dates on Tamiya electronics was harder than I thought, but I narrowed it down to this model as feeling like it must be in the right ballpark. Only when it actually arrived could I confirm. It is indeed from 1993. The bronze/gold CPR 160 heatsink is pretty beautiful. The whole thing is in great condition. Not mint (not the box, at least), but much nicer than I expected from the pictures on eBay. Looks hardly used.
  8. Took delivery of a vintage Adspec Plus tx / rx / cpr unit for my Avanti-gator build: To be period-correct for my build (which imagines an early/mid-nineties Avante reboot) I needed something from that timeframe. Getting dates on Tamiya electronics was harder than I thought, but I narrowed it down to this model as feeling like it must be in the right ballpark. Only when it actually arrived could I confirm. It is indeed from 1993. The bronze/gold CPR 160 heatsink is pretty beautiful. The whole thing is in great condition. Not mint (not the box, at least), but much nicer than I expected from the pictures on eBay. Looks hardly used.
  9. These are lovely! Needs more wheels …
  10. Added a Terra Scorcher rear wing to my Avanti-gator build and updated my build thread. The wing emulates the one on a Takara Gulltech After I took the pic I finally got the tyres on the right way round, too :-)
  11. Wing mount made from spare parts from the sprues I bought for my wider suspension arms (TL01B C Parts 0005688, I think). The spur is C parts, and I used parts 6 and 7, stuck together with hot glue. The wing position looks about right to me …
  12. Trying out some carbon fibre effect air intake trim, fashioned from hand-bent black plasticard, double-sided tape and HPI carbon fibre decals. Driver helmet will be yellow.
  13. The realisation that the Gulltech has a rear wing quite similar to a Terra Scorcher led me buy a reproduction TS body set, from Penguin bodies on eBay UK. By chance, it actually came with two rear wings, so I have a spare TS body if anyone wants one for cheap. Let me know! I also picked up a reproduction Dynatech sticker, thinking ahead to motor options. I might use it, but also considering designing my own fictional period motor, like a 'Techno-gator' or something. Snap and core the basic shape with a few manual cuts with the lean scissors … Trimmed each side to matt the Gulltech as much as possible. Had to lose some of the front lip to blend the curve. Worked through the grits on my sanding strips and gave it a wash. Painted PS-16, then silver, then backed with yellow as an experiment. Need to smooth out some of the edges, cos the wonkiness shows up a lot better with bright yellow highlights!
×
×
  • Create New...