Jump to content

cambragol

Members
  • Content Count

    120
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

140 Excellent

About cambragol

  • Rank
    Member

Recent Profile Visitors

230 profile views
  1. I put the wing together. Very nice. Definitely matches the profile/looks of the Hotshot II wing very closely:
  2. Oh, they are. They are. MirageRC took my suggestion for the aluminum skid plate, and made it real. If he builds your suggestion, you get the first on free. You can order it now. So sweet.
  3. Big package came today with 4 beautiful items. These all came from the friendly Martin at MirageRC. Very nice guy and an amazing crafter of custom/special parts for Tamiya RC cars. First up, an aluminum rear spoiler, in the style of the Hotshot II, not the original. Next up, a new style aluminum bumper for the Hotshot, or Hotshot II. Drop in replacement. Third we have a beautiful aluminum skid plate, similar to the Supershots. Drop in replacement. Last, but not least, is an all aluminum body shell for the Hotshot II. What in the name of... I may or may not add these to this build, which has stalled at the body shell (which I mangled the restore of just a bit...). I would assume at least one or two will be making their way onto this Hotshot restore though.
  4. Big package came today with 4 beautiful items. These all came from the friendly Martin at MirageRC. Very nice guy and an amazing crafter of custom/special parts for Tamiya RC cars. First up, an aluminum rear spoiler, in the style of the Hotshot II, not the original. Next up, a new style aluminum bumper for the Hotshot, or Hotshot II. Drop in replacement. Third we have a beautiful aluminum skid plate, similar to the Supershots. Drop in replacement. Last, but not least, is an all aluminum body shell for the Hotshot II. What in the name of... It feels like Christmas!
  5. Looking good. A few more shots from different angles would be nice!
  6. Also gotta say, love the look of that You-g red bumper. May have to pick one up myself. I've seen it in black too, or maybe dyed.
  7. They look good to me. They have a bit of a 'street' vibe. What are the tires?
  8. Very nice build. I love the wiring. I was looking at that same motor, so I am interested to hear how it performs with the Hotshot.
  9. Looks like a good start! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
  10. I don't think I can recommend the technique I used. I strongly suspect that the paint was not Tamiya or polycarbonate specific paint. I messed up a bit on my repaint, tried to remove with ethanol, and am having no luck.
  11. I used Ethanol, which was in a disinfectant spray. The package says 79-80% ethanol, though I think it has a few other ingredients. I am not sure what kind of paint was on the body when I got it, as I bought it used. It might not have been regular 'polycarbonate' paint, so I am not sure my technique carries over. It took a few soaks, and then mild scrubbing with a towel, finger nail, or toothbrush. None of this left any marks on the body though. I polished it after with a polishing cloth, and that also helped things get smooth and clear.
  12. Took the old paint off an original Hotshot II body today. Took some work, but the results are decent: Just added the Boomerang MSC cover, freshly peeled, to compare the clarity of the results.
  13. It takes a bit of work. I just guessed on the disinfectant/Ethanol, as it seemed close to 'denatured alcohol' which I have seen recommend elsewhere. A big Tamiya shop opened up 10 minutes walk from my house, and they stock all the Tamiya PS paints, so I am going to think on the paint scheme a bit, then head over and invest. It'll be nice to not have to buy off the internet.
  14. Starting to think about the body shell. I was going to get a reproduction shell. However, I decided to try my hand at cleaning up the original body shell. Turned out okay! I used hand sanitizer/ethanol....left over from the 'pandemic'. Soaked it for 10 minutes, then scrubbed. Paint came off fairly easy, but it took about 5 sessions to get everything off. I am not sure what kind of paint was on the original. It was brushed on in places, and thick, so may not have been 'polycarbonate' paint. In any case, the ethanol worked decently. I put a piece of freshly peeled lexan (from a boomerang msc cover) to compare the optical clarity. Now I have to think of colors.
  15. So my antenna wire was just flopping around loosely. The original Hotshot body has a mount point for the antenna, which is on the small 'wings' above the battery. However, the Carbon chassis I am using lacks those. So no where to mount an antenna. I have been looking around for some kind of solution, when finally I realised I could just rig one up using some leftover pieces from here and there. I used an old joint bearing, and two countersunk washers and came up with this solution: I think it looks decent, like it was 'planned'. Added benefit of collapsing under pressure, during crashes, rolls etc. Also, it lines up almost perfectly with the existing antenna hole in the original body:
×
×
  • Create New...