Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'fuel tank'.
Found 1 result
Ever been bothered by the fact that there's no sensible mounting point for the MFC switch box on a Globe Liner? It always seemed that the fuel tank was the perfect place for this. It's just about the right size and is otherwise wasted space. So, with a spare lunchbreak, I went down the one-way path of hacking my Globe Liner fuel tank apart with a variety of tools and came up with the following method. Here's the lower half of the tank. The first thing I did was hack out the middle rib with a Dremel. I used a sawtooth wheel to start with but found it a bit easy to start cutting the main body of the tank if I wasn't careful, so I switched to a grinding stone. This eats through Tamiya plastic like it's made of cheese. It makes a mess but leaves a nice tidy finish once you flake off the melty bits. Next thing was to hack into the screw tubes - I figure the tank can be glued without any trouble, so the screw tubes aren't entirely necessary. I kept half of them in place to secure the switch box and stop it moving around too much. After a bit of hackery - shown side-by-side with the top tank half for comparison Similar treatment given to bottom tank half. Note also that I had to cut into the end ribs a little to make space for the switch box. Just a few nicks works well. I tried various tools for this - Dremel, coping saw, junior hacksaw, and settled on a needle file. The plastic is soft enough that the file goes through easily, makes minimal mess and is easy to control. Junior hacksaw was good for getting through bigger sections quicker but runs the risk of cutting into other bits. Dremel was just too unwieldy and likely to do serious damage.