Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'hopper'.
Found 4 results
Well I think I can call the Jager Bomb done. Grasshopper number 5 started off with a little idea in the back of my head and after a suggestion from a nephew it got brought into reality. Built mechanically box stock save for the addition of Hornet rear shocks and some more bling from T4works. The body was painted in Tamiya Pure Orange TS-98, which came out a little brighter than expected or planned, and then given two light cotes of Tamiya Pearl clear. This gives a nice sparkle to it although it can't be seen in the photos and is not easily seen in person. The alternate colour Hopper stripes & Jagermeister sticker sets came from MCI Racing once again and I took a punt on going for a slightly darker green which I think works ok. I also scaled back the Jager ones from 1:10th to 1:12th scale to ensure a good fit. The alloy wheel caps were found on ebay and cap the whole look off just nicely.
Finally got around to finishing this one off. You could call it a Grasshornet or Hornethopper if you like, basiclly it's a Hopper with the rear shocks and RS540 motor from a Hornet fitted. The paint is a one off custom job, I laid down a coat of Tamiya pink primer followed up with two good coats of Tamiya pure metallic red then topped off with two coats of Tamiya clear red. The resulting look is somewhere between a candy apple red and an anodised aluminium which in normal light looks a bit ho-hum but when in direct sun light it really pops big time. The roof is done in Tamiya pearl white. It's a pity the photos don't really do it justice. The decals are all from MCI Racing and the Budweiser ones were actually for a Earnhardt Jnr 1:10th NASCAR which I had scaled down to 1:12th scale to ensure they fitted properly and I ticked the box for the mirror finish gold option. The one piece alloy wheels were found on eBay and there are more bright shiny bits from T4works planned to be added in the near future. The inspiration for this project came from the IMSA Budweiser Chevy Monza as i liked the pure simplicity of the livery, however I did want to add a touch of white like the latter Bud liveries. Even though it is fully functional and goes quite well, because of the paint job and the inability to do any touch-ups, this one will spend most of it's time on the shelf with only occasional use. Overall I'm very happy with the way this one has turned out.
The latest Grasshopper to roll off the production line late Thursday night and made it's racing debut last night. Sadly after only about 20 seconds into it's first warm-up run it got cleaned out by a big ole stadium truck and sustained some major damage. So now it's back on the bench for some repairs. The left side spotlight and pedestal mount was broken off flush with the body and the roll cage bar directly behind it is sheared right through and a few large scuff marks on the blue paint to touch up. I have glued everything up but it remains to be seen if it stays together or not as this is very similar damage to my original one and the spotlight just kept falling off every time I used it so I just left it off. Very frustrating when a lot of time, money, effort, heart & soul goes into building it, I guess sometimes stuff just happens but it's making me think really hard about taking the next one along because if that one gets damaged then I'm really going to be *******ed off as there will be no repairs to paint damage on that one! To build this one was not part of my original plan but just sort of happened after cruising through the www.mciracing.ca web site and seeing a few things I liked, and an evil plan was hatched. An alternate colour Grasshopper sticker set was ordered along with the Valvoline & Pepsi sets which were both scaled down from 1:10th to 1:18th to ensure they would fit. The body was painted Tamiya gloss White (TS26) and the roll cage bars are painted in Humbrol Baltic Metallic Blue. A set of ball bearings was added along with the very nice polished 1pc alloy wheels and another set of Ansmann Racing oil shocks. Some parts were borrowed from the previous Hopper build as more cool shiny T4works parts are still on their way from rcMart.com. It should look even better once they are fitted.
Well after starting this build nearly 3 months ago Grasshopper #2 is finally finished. Waiting for parts to arrive is a killer! After perusing the interweb looking at other Hoppers I got a few ideas, along with seeing what not to do. My design brief to myself was to make it look different to anything else and try and make it look good while using the original stripes, oh and add a few hop-up parts in the process. I think I have almost nailed it, I'm pretty happy with the way it has turned out anyway. It now features a bunch of aftermarket parts (over night from Japan. Sheesh I wish!) which include coil over oil shocks all round, aluminium front suspension arms & bash plate, carbon reinforced uprights, full ball bearing set and aluminium wheel outers which look really nice. Also fitted are some very nice aluminium side nudge bars, gearbox oil filler cap & pinion cover/heatsink all from T4works. It still retains the little 380 motor so shes not fast but is totally controllable. Took it out for it's first run last night at the Manawatu Indoor RC Car Club meeting and she ran good. Had a couple of small teething issues to sort, the battery cover on the bottom fell off and dragged the battery on the floor and the front suspension had a couple of screws come loose. Not sure if that is because I failed to check them before assembly or if it means they are not up to the punishment, time will tell I guess. Picked up a few scuffs already but that's ok, just proof that it's been used and not a shelf queen. A nice addition to the collection which is growing.