Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'rock socker'.
Found 2 results
I've wanted a CR-01 ever as long as I could remember. I really liked the idea of a proper Tamiya crawler but could never get past the price and the looks of the ill-fitting bodies. Over the past Christmas season, I found a NIB CR-01 Rock Socker for a very good deal on eBay so I pulled the trigger. I liked how the Stadium Blitzer body it came with fit the chassis better. Unfortunately, it was winter in Michigan (for those of you don't know, basically blizzard season) so I couldn't paint the body. To get it running for some winter crawling with my friends, I just cut up and slapped on my old FJ Cruiser body on it. I also threw in a Wild Willy driver from my Comical Hornet for good measure. It sat for a while like you see in the photo: I have to say I do rather like how the FJ body looked, so it might've stayed like it was for a while... until I found something....
So I upgraded my CR-01 Rock Socker with a 13.5T 3050KV motor and this is what happened after a couple of 7.2 NiMh packs: As you can see the rear one has started to twist due to the increased torque. These parts are hollow so I decided to strengthen them by finding a suitable screw to put through the middle: I needed to use the Dremel on the screw head to reduce its diameter, I also had to cut back the threads a little otherwise the shaft would bulge and bind in the other half of the shaft. I screwed them all the way in and the screw head allows just enough angle on the joint part so there's no issues there. I considered holding the soldering iron onto the screw to melt the plastic onto it or use some superglue or UHU adhesive to bond the parts - but because the screws are a tight fit already I decided to leave them without for now. So far, so good. I'll keep an eye on them.