Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ww2'.
Found 3 results
Finally got round to starting work on the ww2 chassis. Rebuilt the gearbox and installed new bearings, got through bag A steps in an hour or so with my daughter helping out. First time I’ve had the body in such an advanced state before starting work on the chassis.
I know I've been late in posting on a number of topics, so I probably shouldn't be posting in a totally new thread (feel free to throw tomatoes in my direction!). But anyway, recently I discovered a (new to me) fascinating German WW2 airplane and decided I had to build a static model of it. I used to love building static models... lots of good memories, in addition to lots of glued-together fingers and such (admit it, you did it too if you used super glue on static models, and I hated the gooey glue). Now obviously, I hate Nazis and all, etc, etc... but they made some pretty cool airplanes. Between the Allies and the Germans in terms of the coolness of the aircraft designs from WW2 I have to give it to the Germans - in terms of looks and creativity anyway. Probably one of the advantages of the less interesting Allied aircraft designs was that they were probably easier/cheaper to produce. Which was probably a good strategy fighting a war. But check this thing out...how weird is that design?! A prop in the front and a prop in the rear. Here are the different configurations of it they made... So I managed to snag two Tamiya static models... one the DO-335 "Anteater" version, and a bonus Messerschitt Me262: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Dornier-Do335A-12-Anteater-Messerschitt-Me262-A-1a-1-48-scale-New-/121982021231 And here is a bonus video of a HUGE R/C version...
Wheelies and fire go together in my mind. Is that wrong? I recently created a flame-pipe mod for my original Wild Willy GigaM38 build (here: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77628&page=4) ... and I had a blast running it until I wiped out pretty hard and trashed some vintage parts. I first got the idea from my son's Razor scooter that has a brake with embedded flint made to throw sparks. Neat effect. So, I picked up some little flint tips like you'd use to light a propane torch. You can buy them in 5 packs and they have a threaded end. After my M38 wipe-out, I thought it might be more cost-effective to make a Flame Pipe mod for the newer WW2 chassis. This way I can run the spark-thrower harder on concrete without worry about crashing the vintage rig. I designed a new wheelie bar in FreeCAD to mount the tips and the prototype came in from Shapeways today. I have small tweak or two I'd like to make, but I'm pretty happy with the prototype: Next to the stock wheelie bar for comparison. The prototype is printed in "polished metallic plastic" and will get painted black. Screw mounts through the opposite side and catches the spark tips. Different angle... Back mounting-flange detail. I installed the tips with a small 2.5MM X 22 screw. The new wheelie bar mounted up to the back of the rig just right. Let's go make some sparks! Light show time! As always, my video work could use some help. I shot the maiden run with my iPhone in the dark. Please enjoy the pyrotechnics... Go Willy, Go!