Dakratfink

Ultrasonic Cleaners

I recently picked up an ultrasonic cleaner from my local Harbor Freight. My wife actually talked me into it because aside from my RC stuff and small engine repair, she is starting to mess with vintage sewing machines and is dragging me into that world as well. 
Does anyone else use one for cleaning RC parts . If so what are your results ? 

Some members uses it with good results. I may get one in the future main reason is to clean my airbrush not my RC parts.

16 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Some members uses it with good results. I may get one in the future main reason is to clean my airbrush not my RC parts.

Funny you mention that , I had a very crude  single stage old binks airbrush and I have thought hard about getting a new modern one for hobby projects 

I have one. I use it for RC. I am generally happy with its cleaning capabilities but I do not use it for metal parts anymore since it stripped the coating off some metal parts (dog bones, diff outdrives, damper springs). Since then I use it for plastic parts only.

4 minutes ago, FuzzyFlynn said:

I have one. I use it for RC. I am generally happy with its cleaning capabilities but I do not use it for metal parts anymore since it stripped the coating off some metal parts (dog bones, diff outdrives, damper springs). Since then I use it for plastic parts only.

That’s actually hand to know, since some of the parts I/she plan to use it on are plated bobbin and other sewing machine internals . 
do you think the stripping finish was a function of the machine / ultrasound or the cleaner you had in it ? Just curious 

9 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

Funny you mention that , I had a very crude  single stage old binks airbrush and I have thought hard about getting a new modern one for hobby projects 

I have to look up what a Binks is and it looks very similar (but much better built) to a modern Badger 350. That type of airbrush is perfectly acceptable (to me) for general use on RC.

6 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I have to look up what a Binks is and it looks very similar (but much better built) to a modern Badger 350. That type of airbrush is perfectly acceptable (to me) for general use on RC.

To me it was acceptable when I have sprayed RC bodies with it . I could use a little finer control on 1/25 static models but it worked on them too. 
my only problem with RC polycarbonate paints was mixing it so I didn’t get Dry Tip and make paint based candy floss when I pulled the trigger 

3 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

To me it was acceptable when I have sprayed RC bodies with it . I could use a little finer control on 1/25 static models but it worked on them too. 
my only problem with RC polycarbonate paints was mixing it so I didn’t get Dry Tip and make paint based candy floss when I pulled the trigger 

Ah, for fine detailed work on static, you will need a double action. Dry tip can be a problem even on my DA 0.5mm GSI depending on type of paint but very bad with "real" acrylics.

6 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

That’s actually hand to know, since some of the parts I/she plan to use it on are plated bobbin and other sewing machine internals . 
do you think the stripping finish was a function of the machine / ultrasound or the cleaner you had in it ? Just curious 

The cleaner was just standard dish washing cleaner. So my guess is the ultrasonic was the culprit here.

On the other hand, I know about first-hand experience from optician shops where they routinely use ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning glasses and never saw issues. Neither with metal frames, nor with coatings on the glass.

Anyway, my lesson is that these things are powerful and I now think twice before I put things in there. :-)

I got one, its pretty cool to clean some parts with recesses (soap/hot water) and really conviniante for my airbrush ( hotwater/Glanzer). Works really well for my vape stuff.

I may bought another one, cause mine is a cheap one from Amazon.

They're great for cleaning stripped diffs... to clean a diff that's had oil or grease in it by hand is a thankless, time consuming, maddening task. With an ultrasonic cleaner and a dilution of degreaser it's a trivial job (and very satisfying).

16 hours ago, FuzzyFlynn said:

The cleaner was just standard dish washing cleaner. So my guess is the ultrasonic was the culprit here.

On the other hand, I know about first-hand experience from optician shops where they routinely use ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning glasses and never saw issues. Neither with metal frames, nor with coatings on the glass.

Anyway, my lesson is that these things are powerful and I now think twice before I put things in there. :-)

The bystanders! Is this how they clean specs? I always thought they were just crafty at popping out the lenses... 😲

Now I really want one!

2 hours ago, berman said:

The bystanders! Is this how they clean specs? I always thought they were just crafty at popping out the lenses... 😲

They *are* crafty at popping out the lenses but this is not what they do for cleaning. :-)

• Like 1

An interesting "ultrasonic" washer don't think it will do too well for RC parts though. 😂

I've never used an ultrasonic cleaner but I have stripped anodizing off bike parts when I put them in the dishwasher, so it might be the detergent. Dishwasher tabs/powder is pretty strong stuff... 

(yeah, I know...) 

• Like 1

(yeah, I know...) 

LOL. We've all been there and anyone here who says they haven't is either lying or doesn't own a dishwasher. Fact.

I'm another fan of the ultrasonic cleaner - and as mentioned above, a diluted dose of degreaser works wonders. I've done all kinds of bits and never had an issue with damaging anything - I think they're pretty gentle and it's far more likely a chemical reaction that's causing damage.

It's clever how they work - the sonic waves cause tiny air bubbles to form on hard surfaces (so in between the surface of your part and the dirt) and the bubbles basically lift the dirt off. Hard to imagine anything more gentle than that.

My cheap ultrasonic (I think I paid £20 for it new a few years ago) and my barrel polisher are the two things I rely on the most for vintage restorations.

We also do my wifes jewellery in the ultrasonic FWIW and that always comes out amazing (just with water).