Sign in to follow this  
Yoda67

GMade Buffalo Pick-up

So finally stock arrived of the new GMade GS02F Buffalo Pick-up, placed my order with Modelsport last weekend and it arrived Tuesday. Excited to say the least. After building a few Tamiya’s over the years this was a bit of a shock upon opening the box. So many little bags of machine screws, only self tappers I’ve seen are for the body accessories. 
The build started with front and rear axles followed by the 2 speed

Khj1JUY.jpg

80Ja0Tv.jpg

xzu31kW.jpgxzu31kW.jpg

4ln2JAY.jpg

NsWb4qX.jpg

I’ve got the chassis finished and will get some pics later and am currently working on the body shell. 
Apart from sorting through so many screws etc I have thoroughly enjoyed the build as there were more components that had to be assembled rather than being a one piece moulding. ie suspension links, bead lock wheels. 

• Like 3

The parts quality on them is very good so they are a pleasure to build. Although I do think the designer set himself a challenge to use every possible size of screw at least once!

I had mine (Komodo-fied BOM) out with a crawling group today, got a few compliments about how capable it was which was nice. Biggest improvement in performance has been to fit some softer springs from Element RC, really transforms the truck. The kit springs are extremely stiff, and GMade's optional "soft" springs are also extremely stiff!

I'd also recommend an aluminium servo horn as the plastic one is quite soft and will strip easily.

Couple more pics of chassis build,

NsWb4qX.jpg

4ioV7zM.jpg

Oau0x8s.jpg

All working as it should so need to tidy up the wiring. Body cut out and all holes drilled and thoroughly washed ready for masking.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sosidge said:

The parts quality on them is very good so they are a pleasure to build. Although I do think the designer set himself a challenge to use every possible size of screw at least once!

I had mine (Komodo-fied BOM) out with a crawling group today, got a few compliments about how capable it was which was nice. Biggest improvement in performance has been to fit some softer springs from Element RC, really transforms the truck. The kit springs are extremely stiff, and GMade's optional "soft" springs are also extremely stiff!

I'd also recommend an aluminium servo horn as the plastic one is quite soft and will strip easily.

Got to agree with you on screw sizes and replacing servo horn. Will see how I get on with the springs as this truck is not for competing just bashing 😜

• Like 1

Looks like you decided to switch to the rear mounted battery position, any particular reason why?

1 hour ago, sosidge said:

Looks like you decided to switch to the rear mounted battery position, any particular reason why?

Gonna try like that and see how it goes, can always reconfigure later. It feels quite front heavy already. 

1 minute ago, Yoda67 said:

Gonna try like that and see how it goes, can always reconfigure later. It feels quite front heavy already. 

Yes, depends on what you want the truck for. Weight over the front is good for climbing, so I'm very happy with the kit layout.

• Like 1

4XCWeki.jpg
qvR8vSk.jpg
WjHvgMC.jpg

Painting done, kept decals to a minimum. Light buckets are fitted but don’t have the lights yet.

Got to get out and give it a run but the weather isn’t great at the moment

• Like 1

So the truck is kitted out with a 21kg steering servo, 4kg transmission servo(both Etronix) and a HPI 55T motor and have to say overall the truck is very quiet. I took it out for an hour this morning on an old tram road behind where I live. It’s just a dirt and stone/rock track that a public right of way for walkers, cyclists and horse riders. There are numerous tracks off it to give access to farms and other properties and roads, although you wouldn’t take a car up many of them. 
One of these was quite steep and muddy with pieces of rock showing through lack of maintenance. It wasn’t rock crawling more a trail that was muddy and small obstacles but I was impressed with the truck even though my skills are very basic. We completed all we tried. 
With the 55T motor it’s not fast, but faster than I can walk so good enough. 
The elevation in the pics is about 40-50 degrees. 
Tdw2tvo.jpg

M0h4q0D.jpg

gSuFcry.jpg

Edited by Yoda67
Added a picture
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking good. I just need to start mine. Gonna be adding bigger tires and aluminum wheels. I'll also do full lights.

Cory

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RC4x4 said:

Looking good. I just need to start mine. Gonna be adding bigger tires and aluminum wheels. I'll also do full lights.

Cory

I’m planning on doing the lights as well, but wheels and tyres will do for me. Enjoy the build. 

• Like 1