Sign in to follow this  
Boomerang89

Clear wings?!?

Just wondering. Why Super Avante and TD2 Astute have clear wings?

Really don't like the look, feels kinda empty somehow.

Any thoughts?

Tamiya might be going for the 'racing' look. Most racers tend not to paint the wings on their cars as they usually take quite a hammering and get replaced often (plus they are, to a degree 'tuneable'). Most racers also have quite snazzy airbrushed paintjobs on their shell too, so having to paint a new wing up every couple of months would be a bit of a bind. 

Or maybe they just couldn't be ***ed 🤔 😁

• Like 3

It *may* be a homage to how racers typically don't paint their wings.  And AFAIK there are at least three possible reasons for that:

1. buggy wings get trashed more often than the body, it isn't cost- or time-effective to repaint them all the time
  2. racers might have several different wings depending on track conditions, see above about time and cost
  3. because both sides of the wing are visible, one side will never quite look right (especially if the wing is painted to match the typical multi-colour design of a racer's body)

This is pure speculation, BTW, I could be entirely wrong.  But they certainly aren't setting a trend, which means they must be following it.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 7:31 PM, Boomerang89 said:

Any thoughts?

TD2 and TD4 are so monstrously ugly in such an inhuman way and you worry about the clear wing?

Really?

Max

• Haha 1

Who says I worry?

I dont like the other clear parts of Super Avante either. If I get one will paint the car like original Avante including original decals. And will raise wing height.

Ugly? Different I would say. Actually like the new TD2 Astute looks more than old Astute. Wouldn't call any of them a beauty though. Boomerang looks I like.

8 minutes ago, kontemax said:

TD2 and TD4 are so monstrously ugly in such an inhuman way and you worry about the clear wing?

Really?

Max

Yawn.

You don't like it.

We get that.

Perhaps show a little respect for those who do.

No, it's not about respect for a little toy car, but respect that others might enjoy something you don't.

You don't need to like something to not constantly say you hate it. You don't even have to not hate it, just don't need to tell everyone. There are so many cars here I think look ugly as heck, but you know what, I feel that I don't want to ******* on someone's bbq just because they like something I don't.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Boomerang89 said:

Who says I worry?

I dont like the other clear parts of Super Avante either. If I get one will paint the car like original Avante including original decals. And will raise wing height.

Ugly? Different I would say. Actually like the new TD2 Astute looks more than old Astute. Wouldn't call any of them a beauty though. Boomerang looks I like.

It was a joke.

Max

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kontemax said:

It was a joke.

Max

You humour is so monstrously ugly I couldn't tell :D

Things don't translate so well to comments online, so apologies. I don't want to get on a high horse, I just think that whatever anyone might trash might be someone's first car or just bought, or is really excited by. I tend to refer to emojis as otherwise I just sound super sarcastic. 

1 hour ago, kontemax said:

It was a joke.

Max

I think you need to work on your delivery.

For me, costs matter more than looks (usually) and when it comes to static models, I tend to go for the ugliest subject as they tend to be cheaper (less desirable) and less common. Fit, detail and quality is more important, to me. I don't want to be "just another guy" that built a Ferrari or F-15 or Spitfire. Although when it comes to RC, the range is far smaller. 

Just to lighten the mood, here are some of my ugliest models. Go ahead and say how ugly they. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cool down guys, I had seen many, and been in many, flamewars for decades. Many times, it is down to the lack of tone and body language in Internet communication, not I'll intent. 

• Like 1

Yep, this is a nice friendly place, and of all the things to get upset about in the world, toy cars rank somewhere above lettuce, but significantly below ice cream.

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2021 at 7:31 AM, Boomerang89 said:

Any thoughts?

The Super Avante wing is actually painted on the ends. The Astute wing looks to just have decals.