nowinaminute

Does anyone know the dimensions of the diaphragms in Kyosho gold shocks?

Working on a Nikko Super Sprint and the diaphragms have shrunk and hardened a little so they leak.

The shocks are very similar looking to the Kyosho gold shocks, the diaphragms are smaller than the plastic Nikko shocks and the ones you get with Tamiya CVAs. I'm wondering if the Kyosho ones might fit?

You can still get the Kyosho ones from places like Plaza Japan but it's a long time waiting just to see if they will fit.

Would anyone happen to have any to hand they can measure?

The nikko ones are about 11mm outer diameter.

Failing that, does anyone know any other freely available ones that are 11mm outer diameter?

I'm going to try using some 11mm OD o rings in conjunction with the old ones to try and make up for the shrinkage but ideally I would love to find a suitable drop in replacement .

Thanks in advance!

did you check both front & rear CVAs?  The front shocks are 1 mm smaller diameter, so the diaphragm may fit.  just wondering. :)

edit: hehe, front and rear are different for everyone.  I mean short cva vs mini, green vs red diaphragm I think.

I've 3 different lengths of gold shocks, not sure if the diameters are different though?

That is original vintage ones or will I measure the ones from my rere Turbo Optima? Both front and rear :-)

30 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

did you check both front & rear CVAs?  The front shocks are 1 mm smaller diameter, so the diaphragm may fit.  just wondering. :)

edit: hehe, front and rear are different for everyone.  I mean short cva vs mini, green vs red diaphragm I think.

I get you hehe. I've tried black, green and red ones. All too large from what I remember.

30 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I've 3 different lengths of gold shocks, not sure if the diameters are different though?

I honestly don't know, I just know the Nikko ones seem to have similar external dimensions, going by memory, at least.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

That is original vintage ones or will I measure the ones from my rere Turbo Optima? 

I'm not entirely sure.  I know plaza japan have some diaphragms that have a new code on but also have the old code suggesting they fit the older the gold shocks. Not sure I'd the re-re has a different code again.

The ones on Plaza have the code 97031 but also have the old code w-5017.

I just checked and if you mean these with diaphragms, according to the manual the rere hasn't any...

20211109_193657.jpg

Yes I was going to say I don't think they have any but wasn't sure as I don't own one. i heard the "cap" is simply machined into the body and doesn't actually open.

This is what the Nikko shocks look like just in case anyone can think of anything else they may be similar to for which parts are still available. P2100019.jpg

1 hour ago, Tamiyastef said:

Manual

20211109_193811.jpg

This is not Kyosho Gold Shocks. This is Kyosho RB6 shocks with a gold finish, an ersatz they put on the re-released Turbo Optima... When people refer to Kyosho Gold shocks, they refer to the original Kyosho Option House released in the eighties by Kyosho...

I remember those from my Optima Turbo Mid I bought in 1989. Wasn't sure if he ment these (obviously) or the rere ones (looking gold and being shocks, maybe also be referred to as Gold shocks) but that's all clear now.

I don't have any original diaphragms left, only pistons. I have black ones with a 10 mm diameter, which are the ones from the gold shocks I believe and also some red ones with a 9 mm diameter which, I think, belonged to the standard Rocky shocks. As the mini CVA's from Tamiya also have 10 mm diameter pistons and the diaphragm is just to large I thought maybe the Rocky ones might be a direct fit. I don't have a Rocky manual anymore but at first glance (the Rocky shocks ended up being mounted on the rear of my original 1984 Grasshopper) they seem to be build in the same way as the rere turbo Optima ones, so no diaphragms. So a lot of chatter for no result. Sorry. Hopefully someone else will have the answer :-) 

15 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

You can still get the Kyosho ones from places like Plaza Japan but it's a long time waiting just to see if they will fit.

Would anyone happen to have any to hand they can measure?

12mm.

1 hour ago, Sir Crashalot said:

12mm.

Hmm close but maybe not enough to be worth ordering some from Japan lol