esmuz

Help on choosing a first On-road model

After some nice experiences with off-road cars on dusty zones and parks, sometimes I feel I just want to go to the parking lot and have some fun just driving around an improvised circuit and not having to care so much about the terrain, but it's a bit annoying having to re set-up my off-road cars and so on.. So I am considering buying an on-road car to have some fun. 

My requests:

• Cheaper than 200€ ( ideally around 150 ) 
  • No need to be RTR as I have radios, spare ESC, motors and batteries ready to use
  • Easy to drive, not requiring too much skills to have fun. ( ideally 4WD ?¿ )
  • No need to reach crazy speeds
  • Classic / Realistic body 
  • Not too big

Options I am considering

• Tamiya M-chasis. I like the classic models available but most chasis look a bit "toy" to me, and being most of them RWD I am not sure how easy to drive are them. I also like the cars are smaller and don't take so much space at home.
  • Xpress RC Execute XM1S Chasis + a nice m-chasis body ( ABC hobby or Tamiya) + wheelset. Found this amazing 4WD chasis, with great reviews and super cheap ( 120€ ) But then adding a nice body + wheels + a shorty battery ( I don't have one ) brings the total to around 200€
  • Any TT02 based car. I like the Porsche Carrera RSR or a Ford Capri. I asume being 4WD these cars should be quite responsive am I right? Do they need a lot of hop-ups to become decent? 
  • Any F104W Formula 1 model available, like the Lotus 102B, the Wolf and so on..  I just love the looks and simplicity of these F1 cars, but I am not sure how much fun I can have at a parking lot or into a polished concrete sports field ( lots around my place )

Can you guys give me some advice on what is the best option and why? 

Any other recommendations are more than welcome. 

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I would start with the TT02  especially if improvised track.   

Thanks. May I know why? 

I would recomend or TT02 (or TT01) or M 05. Any of them have plenty of spares available, and are really tough. If you are planning to drive them in a parking, you´ll need a good ground clearance.

F104 or any formula is nice in a track, but for a parking lot (bashing) they are not a good option.

TT02 is 4WD and M05 is FWD (in M chasis 03,05 and 07 are FWD and 06 and 08 are RWD). If it is only for bashing a good option could be also MF01X "M size", but 4WD

TT02 and M05RA have the possibility of two ride heights without buying additional parts.

For bashing the only upgrades that I suggest are ball bearings. You can find TT02 and M05 from 120 euros 

41 minutes ago, esmuz said:

Thanks. May I know why? 

The plastic chassis of the TT02 can handle coarse road surfaces like unprepared parking lots as your make shift track.  Also they are budget friendly and many hopups available if you want to get into that later.   

2 hours ago, esmuz said:

Options I am considering

• Tamiya M-chasis. I like the classic models available but most chassis look a bit "toy" to me, and being most of them RWD I am not sure how easy to drive are them. I also like the cars are smaller and don't take so much space at home.
  • Xpress RC Execute XM1S Chasis + a nice m-chasis body ( ABC hobby or Tamiya) + wheelset. Found this amazing 4WD chasis, with great reviews and super cheap ( 120€ ) But then adding a nice body + wheels + a shorty battery ( I don't have one ) brings the total to around 200€
  • Any TT02 based car. I like the Porsche Carrera RSR or a Ford Capri. I asume being 4WD these cars should be quite responsive am I right? Do they need a lot of hop-ups to become decent? 
  • Any F104W Formula 1 model available, like the Lotus 102B, the Wolf and so on..  I just love the looks and simplicity of these F1 cars, but I am not sure how much fun I can have at a parking lot or into a polished concrete sports field ( lots around my place )

The M-chassis might look a bit toy-like, but their performance is quite the opposite. The RWD models can be a bit of a challenge, so I'd recommend a FWD one if this is a concern. The M-05 set to MWB and topped with a round-ish shell such as the Fiat 500 or Suzuki Swift works well as it is quite stable, and if it does roll, the rounded shell helps it land back on its feet. The "big 3" upgrades - bearings, oil shocks and a steel pinion - are a good idea as they are with most Tamiyas at this level.

Can't comment on the Xpress chassis - never tried it.

The TT-02 has already been recommended, and will no doubt receive more recommendations, with good reason. A versatile platform that can be set up for flat or somewhat uneven surfaces with no extra parts required, it will give docile, neutral handling in stock form and doesn't need significant hop-ups for parking lot fun. All you really need are the "Big 3". However if you want to bling it out, there are loads and loads of parts available with which to do so.

If you have a very smooth and clean parking lot to run on, a F1 chassis can be a great option. I have had lots of fun with mine in the postal racing. However any dirt or unevenness upsets the chassis, spoiling the fun. The exposed spur and pinion are also less than ideal if you have any small bits of grit on your running surface. Sweeping the area beforehand isn't a bad idea. On the plus side though, no hop-ups are required.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the TT02 can accept more battery shapes than the TT01 out of the box- stick, brick, or shorty. The TT01 can, but only after some judicious cutting.

TT01/02 - cheap and almost foolproof. Easy to fix. I had broken mine with stupid modifications and motors many times and it took me far longer to wait for parts to arrive than to strip and fix it. Plenty of aftermarket parts, both branded and off brand. 

M05 - easy to handle although not as maintenance friendly. Have to split the chassis to get to the diff for example. 

41 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

All you really need are the "Big 3".

Building upon the abovementioned idea, consider the TT02 Type-S. 

1. It comes with oil-filled shocks and bearings, so 2 out of the "Big 3" are already covered. All that's left is a steel pinion.

2. It's a very capable chassis, whether for parking lot bashing or racing

3. It comes with everything (well everything a Tamiya kit comes with) except a body set, so you can pick your own to go along with it

This was my first on-road car, and I have zero regrets.

13 minutes ago, Toad16v said:

Ta03r-s? Just as a left field choice.

That is going to be my next on road car! 

28 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Building upon the abovementioned idea, consider the TT02 Type-S. 

1. It comes with oil-filled shocks and bearings, so 2 out of the "Big 3" are already covered. All that's left is a steel pinion.

2. It's a very capable chassis, whether for parking lot bashing or racing

3. It comes with everything (well everything a Tamiya kit comes with) except a body set, so you can pick your own to go along with it

This was my first on-road car, and I have zero regrets.

If it can be sourced within your budget, this is an excellent suggestion. I have one too, and it performs superbly in the postal races.

2020-12-03_12-54-08

20200124_110824

22 minutes ago, Toad16v said:

Ta03r-s? Just as a left field choice.

I would have said this every day over the TT02 available for almost the same price as a TT and way better out of the box, oil shocks, belt drive, classic body, easily hopped up!

I have both and spent easily the same amount again on the TT to make it run well! I actually prefer my TT01 racing truck straight out of the box compared to the 02,  TT01 racing truck would be my left field choice 😅

• Like 1

If we are looking left of field, my suggestion would be the FF-03. Front wheel drive gives pretty predictable handling, and the fibre-reinforced materials used in the kit are stronger than those used in a base-model TT, equivalent to the newer TA and TB cars. It also has the same race-grade suspension as the TT-02 Type S, and comes with bearings and oil shocks as standard.

TT02 all day long. The reason is parts and cost effectiveness. You try to find cheap TA03 or FF03 parts, it's impossible. For the price of a new TA03 front and rear gearbox housing you can buy a whole TT02 chassis kit as spares !!! 

But try to get the TT02 Type S as it is far more capable out of the box than a stock TT02,👍

James.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

20200124_110824

Mmmmm ... god thats a nice body.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

But try to get the TT02 Type S as it is far more capable out of the box than a stock TT02,

What's the difference between the S and R kits ?

The R comes with bearings and oil shocks instead of friction also, plus the alloy shaft and steering ? Is it more adjustment options for chamber or toe-in-out ?

20 minutes ago, Ryz82 said:

What's the difference between the S and R kits ?

The R comes with bearings and oil shocks instead of friction also, plus the alloy shaft and steering ? Is it more adjustment options for camber or toe-in-out ?

The suspension on the S is totally different to that of the R. The S suspension is taken from the TB-03, and grants superior scrub radius, superior durability, additional adjustment options and the option to add even more such as droop down-stops, anti-squat, etc. Such is its superiority that it is banned from the beginner classes by many clubs, as it is basically a TB-series car with a more affordable main tub so is seen as giving an unfair advantage.

In comparison, the R kit uses more of the same parts as the base model TT, including the same lower arms and mounting points, which in turn gives it fewer adjustment options, greater scrub radius, etc. It is better than a base model, but not by as much as the Type S, and is still allowed in most if not all beginner classes as a result.

• Like 1

I'd go with M05, M06, or M07.  Not so keen on M08 at the moment. 

RWD is a bit trickier to drive than 4x4, but that's what's making it fun.  If the car does all you ask for, it becomes as predictable as a video game.  

I'm partial to classic cars myself; Giulia is just gorgeous.  (Below is @Asymair95's from a couple of years ago.) 

GjQ0NpF.jpg

More recently, @Re-Bugged had done a fantastic job with his red Giulia. 

tgaO1eJ.jpg

M-chassis seems cheap and simple. But there is more to it.  It can get you into real 'driving.'  There is no jumping, no bashing.  Flipping would be cool when you are bashing off road, but on road, it's not.  All you do is 'controlling,' i.e. driving.  No matter how long you've been off-roading, you could find new things while driving on-road vehicles. 

M-chassis have a bit more suspension. They can handle a bit rougher surface than F-1 chassis.  They have great many different kinds of bodies, including Karmann Ghia. (Below is a Tamiya 1/24 static kit body mounted on Kyosho miniZ chassis by @_miga_ .  Tamiya recently released Karmann Ghia M06.)

1I0OqGk.jpg

2CV comes in 2 colorful variants (2CV!).  

a7txQV5.jpg

As mentioned already, you could go with MF-01X too.  But I would hate to drive it on-road.  I only like it as a rally car, not for tarmac. But that's just me. 

wm7RRnQ.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Tamiya recently released Karmann Ghia M06.

And mighty fine it looks too!

2020-04-27_02-03-03

2020-04-27_02-02-36

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adding a bit to the great comments shared above. My experiences & observations as a casual parking-lot racer owning TT01E, TT02, FF03, M06 and MF01X cars:

M06

• + The RWD setup offers are very unique driving experience
  • + Smaller and easier to carry around
  • + Bodies are definitely not toyish and very nice looking. Panel lines go a long way into improving their realistic look. I love the Giulia!
  • + Given the low weight & simple drive train, a Torque-Tuned motor gives it good speed
  • - Harder to cool motor (regular heatsinks don't fit)
  • - Smaller tires means they generally bounce more than the larger touring cars on rougher surfaces. The lighter weight is also a factor in this. Not a big deal though but you can see/feel it.
  • - Needs different tires F/R (F less grip, R more grip) to have the right grip balance. Your tire spares need to cater for this.

TT's

• + The added weight & size adds a more planted dimension to driving than the M cars, not necessary better, just different
  • + Easier to add a motor cooler
  • + All tires wear-out fairly evenly and you can always rotate if needed.
  • + Huge selection of bodies.
  • - Can have quite a lot of overseer (specially on lower-grip surfaces) unless setup
  • - TT01E is extremely noisy and whiney with a silver can motor and Tamiya ESCs.
  • - TT01E has sloppy steering. The TT02 is much better in this aspect.

FF03

• + Extremely silent drive train (useful if your neighbors complain)
  • + Drives more predictably and easier to follow a racing line than a 4WD
  • + Better materials and setup options out-of-the box than the other above kits
  • + Control skill is nice as you have to be very precise with the throttle to get the most out of this car
  • + Huge selection of bodies but not necessarily racing cars that are in real life FWD (there aren't that many). I believe all bodies that come with FF03 kits are real-life FWD.
  • - Will eat front tires quite fast, specially if you don't accelerate smoothly (being FWD, it will spin tires easily on take-off). At least you can rotate with the rears.
  • - Spares are harder to find and more costly

MF01X

• + Fantastic well-rounded car, jack of all trades. Really good as a rally car on flat loose surfaces.
  • + Easy to convert to other type of car (e.g. mini crawler/trail) in the future with lots of wheelbase options
  • + Can be switched from 4WD to RWD by removing the propeller shaft. If switched to RWD, it would keep the ability to tune front differential (something the M06 does not have).
  • - Being good at all surfaces also means it is not the best on any of them (except rally). All the other cars would drive better on asphalt/concrete.

I also have a DT-03 and TT02B setup for parking lots with Dual-Block K-type tires. They are generally more stable than the touring cars and take even the roughest surface, but they are definitely not as nimble and would have slower lap times.

• Like 2

All good points - I have the same cars in my fleet, and would support the above based on my experiences with them.

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

Flipping would be cool when you are bashing off road, but on road, it's not.  All you do is 'controlling,' i.e. driving.  No matter how long you've been off-roading, you could find new things while driving on-road vehicles. 

Wow! You actually read and remember every single build threads and pictures? 

Flipping a well done brand new M chassis is not cool at all, with the mirrors hanging off their sides. You may remember I had a case of jammed drivetrain on one side, which caused sudden pull to one side, which probably caused the car to roll. It was built as a M-05Ra but on its very first drive, I lost its mirrors. Could be due to the jammed drive train, terrain or even just my driving. Either way, I dropped it and used it as a road car since. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

TT's

• + The added weight & size adds a more planted dimension to driving than the M cars, not necessary better, just different. 

FF03

• - Will eat front tires quite fast, specially if you don't accelerate smoothly (being FWD, it will spin tires easily on take-off). At least you can rotate with the rears.

Agree that the TTs are very planted, even my rally modded TT-01 original is planted and never rolled on road with a sensible 23T motor and NiMHs. Recently swapped a 18T in with lipos and it rolled a lot (before the ESC melted, different story). 

Agree about the FWD thing, my M-05 eats tyres, even on "just" a torque tuned motor. 

Are we just randomly posting pictures of our beloved cars now?  

Here's mine!  

Just kidding..;)

• Haha 4