Oh How Original

190mm body, way wider than chassis?

So I've started building my TT-02R kit ready for speed runs, and I've noticed the 190mm Protoform Corvette ZR1 body is quite a bit wider than the wheels/chassis.

This is with the more narrow hexes with faux brakes, but if I put the wide ones on, there's not enough thread on the axles for the wheel nuts.

Just curious if I've made a mistake somewhere or what?

Here's a photo to show the amount on each side.

255754049-868268993891709-10513369041112

That looks pretty much par for the course. Protoform seem to be quite generous with their idea of what 190mm looks like. The wider hexes work great with the longer axles which you get in parts bag 51529. You can also get some wheels with greater offset.

21 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

That looks pretty much par for the course. Protoform seem to be quite generous with their idea of what 190mm looks like. The wider hexes work great with the longer axles which you get in parts bag 51529. You can also get some wheels with greater offset.

I've got to be honest, I couldn't locate any longer axles in the bags, unless I've just missed them while looking.

That would certainly help a bit, but it's still a bit off even with the wider hexes.

Thanks for the suggestion though I will have another looking through all the parts.

EDIT; after checking that part number, my parts trees are different, I think because it's the R version, my axles were all loose in a bag because they're all metal construction.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the TG10 long axles can achieve the same effect with the R version.

Using the #50808 long axles work fine on the TT-02R. I recently picked them up for my Sierra build using the two 10mm faux brake disc hubs that come with the kit.

They give you the extra thread needed for the lock nut no problem at all. I even added an additional 3 washer for additional spacing and I still had enough thread to get the lock nut on, wouldn't push it beyond that however.

Having said that, and looking at your image, i think like me, you are going to want to go for wide rims. As even with the 10mm hub + additional 3mm I have now on the rear, and 26mm +4 offset rims, the rears are still within the arch/shell too much for my liking, and it looks like you're just running the kits stock 24mm (0 or at best +2 offset) rims, so you might find it even more noticeable.

Either way, definitely pickup those long axles to help get the extra hub width/spacing and thread.

As said most 190mm aftermarket bodies are around 193-195mm. Tamiya on road chassis's are usually 185mm wide. 

James.

8 hours ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Tamiya on road chassis's are usually 185mm wide. 

I think that TT02 and other models with 39mm dogbones are even narrower.

Edit:  Tamiya says 182mm for TT02R with 0mm offset.