BuggyDad

Wheel and tyre options - DT-03

6 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I helped Barry, aka Granddad Stinky , with his front hex conversion, after I found the Kyosho RB5 was pretty much a bolt on mod, but it looks like the 'photo bucket ransom' has broken the thread up a bit.....

Although, RB5 parts look a bit thin on the ground now and a therefore ,a bit pricey, but looking at the thread above, there's plenty of options 👍

Can't see the pics but I think this is to replace knuckles and axle with some from a 4wd. So same thing, different source parts?

18 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

So same thing, different source parts?

Even better if not from HK! 

26 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

For road use, I can use Fastrax Arrows

I used those for a bit on my Dark Impact, for on road use. But with 5700kv/3s power, the cheap wheels cracked in no time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Even better if not from HK! 

Looks hard to find the bits though. 

26 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Can't see the pics but I think this is to replace knuckles and axle with some from a 4wd. So same thing, different source parts?

The only pics you can see, are the ones I posted, but there's part numbers in the RB5 exploded diagram pic.

It's to replace the dt02/03 front, with C hub and front hex from a Kyosho RB5, pretty much just bolts on!

2018-08-28_01-48-26

Only down sides, I think it altered the camber, so need adjustable turnbuckles, and there a bit of play with the C hub in the wishbone.

2018-08-28_01-48-37

@BuggyDadRegarding "just sticking in a 4WD front uprights", I have some spares from a TT01 and a M-05, both will not work as our C hubs are away too small. The 1260 bearings alone is wider than the hub clearance. Only way it can work is find some hubs using 850 or something like that bearings I believe. I will check the uprights of a SU-01, but that part is not available anywhere as a spare. 

Yeah sorry, they're not 4wd ones, the principle is as per @Wooders28's pics above, except the 3racing option reuses the Tamiya c hubs. 

There's also Associated B5 similar parts but with more bits to find I expect a bit more money. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

This? 

https://www.plazajapan.com/4548565210244/?setCurrencyId=4

Shame I just completed an order with PJ 2 days ago! 

Those are RB6? 

Could be the same, i can't say for sure, as I've not tried.

If I remember right, it was the shaft that was expensive.

I had/have an RB5 in bits, as I used the rear end on an original Ultima resto mod build.

23 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Yeah sorry, they're not 4wd ones, the principle is as per @Wooders28's pics above, except the 3racing option reuses the Tamiya c hubs. 

There's also Associated B5 similar parts but with more bits to find I expect a bit more money. 

I bet there's alot out there that'll fit!

Watched an old cheap 2wd car go on ebay for just over a tenner, (i was looking for Ansmann parts!) that had 12mm hex fronts ,which i bet could have been made to fit. As time goes on, there'll be plenty that'll be snapped up for a song.

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Does the Schumacher 2.2s fit straight on? Slim ones right?

4 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Sorry for being a nob, but need more to the search. Class > Buggy? Wheel diameter > 2.2? (My wheels measures out to be closer to 60mm than 55.8mm of 2.2) Width > ? On Modelsports website, they don't filter Schumacher by width. My guess is slim for Tamiya front wheels and rear for rear wheels, is that correct?

@Wooders28 if you don't mind, do you know the difference between mini pins, mini dart, mezzo, stagger, etc...? I had seen a guide and it made no sense to me and nothing specific about road running. Which style will suit my needs best? Sorry for being a complete nob.

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

@Wooders28 if you don't mind, do you know the difference between mini pins, mini dart, mezzo, stagger, etc...? I had seen a guide and it made no sense to me and nothing specific about road running. Which style will suit my needs best? Sorry for being a complete nob.

Schumacher have designed tyres over the years, to suit the popular tracks (best sales).

Mini pins where good on carpet, but been superceded by Cactus, not sure if the carpets changed over the years, as now it 'EOS' (European Off-road Serise) carpet.

Darts where/are good on grass and Astro.

Mezzo have been designed for Astro, although found for wet Astro (ours at least) the Ballistic Greens are better than silver Mezzo.

They make 'Honeycomb' tyres , which where designed for the Schumacher race series down in Worksop, which I believe is a Cork like flooring.

Schumacher don't do many road tyres in 2.2" , they do 1.9" ,and used them on an Ultima fronts.

I use the ,'venom' tyre, on the rear, which I used to use on the old Nitro XTR3e, with the only other one I know of the ,road and track tyre.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/schumacher-road-and-track-rt1-rear-b30-pr-422454

• Thanks 1

@BuggyDad etc...

Got my hex adaptor today and they are a BAD idea and completely useless. 

spacer.png

With them in, the lock part of the wheel nut will not even touch the axle. Never mind the fact that any attempts to tighten it will actually stop the wheel from turning. 

spacer.png

They are just too thick to be any use to us using stock DT uprights. Might work somewhat if they are 2 or 3 mm thinner. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, matisse said:

Imo best option is the Schumacher Cougar KR hex kit.

Sounds good I'd ordered the 3racing bits before seeing this. Interested to know what the advantages are of the Schumacher kit over that? 

16 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

@BuggyDad etc...

Got my hex adaptor today and they are a BAD idea and completely useless. 

spacer.png

With them in, the lock part of the wheel nut will not even touch the axle. Never mind the fact that any attempts to tighten it will actually stop the wheel from turning. 

spacer.png

They are just too thick to be any use to us using stock DT uprights. Might work somewhat if they are 2 or 3 mm thinner. 

spacer.png

Ah bad luck. 

I guess there must be a way to use them that works or others wouldn't be happy with them, but I can't get my head round what that is. 

I'll post up once I try out the 3racing bits. Removal of some c hub material is required, so am a little wary of weakening those, but we'll see what happens. 

39 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Sounds good I'd ordered the 3racing bits before seeing this. Interested to know what the advantages are of the Schumacher kit over that? 

Ease of fit. The Schumacher knuckles just needs the hole reaming to 3mm and a couple of spacers, whereas the 3racing part needs more work. 

41 minutes ago, matisse said:

Ease of fit. The Schumacher knuckles just needs the hole reaming to 3mm and a couple of spacers, whereas the 3racing part needs more work. 

Ah. Gotcha. 

These?

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/front-hub-carriers-cougar-kr-pr-50584

I wonder whether they take the same axles, £7 here might be preferable to cutting my c hubs. There seemed to be a suggestion a lot of these axles are cross compatible anyway. 

7 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Ah bad luck. 

I guess there must be a way to use them that works or others wouldn't be happy with them, but I can't get my head round what that is. 

I'll post up once I try out the 3racing bits. Removal of some c hub material is required, so am a little wary of weakening those, but we'll see what happens. 

They can somehow work for longer axles where the nut can actually grip but it still does not remove the problem of the nut rubbing on the wheels itself. 

I am trying something else, but will have to wait 2 weeks for parts to arrive. Will do a  writeup if it works. 

5 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Ah. Gotcha. 

These?

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/front-hub-carriers-cougar-kr-pr-50584

I wonder whether they take the same axles, £7 here might be preferable to cutting my c hubs. There seemed to be a suggestion a lot of these axles are cross compatible anyway. 

There is a full conversion kit front and rear hex with all the bearings and hubs.

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/hex-wheel-conversions-12mm-f-r-cougar-47843?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhMOMBhDhARIsAPVml-GTSVaRBsdHKXJxSGyisE3-Xw1HbfgiuXX_EgKkqVlxsvxyAqI0yQsaAi9DEALw_wcB

2 hours ago, matisse said:

There is a full conversion kit front and rear hex with all the bearings and hubs.

What C hub (Yokes) did you use, the TRF? 

Trying parts off my Laydown , nothing was a direct fit, and would have needed some 'trimming' (hacking at it with a hacksaw 😏😁)

42 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

What C hub (Yokes) did you use, the TRF? 

Trying parts off my Laydown , nothing was a direct fit, and would have needed some 'trimming' (hacking at it with a hacksaw 😏😁)

I did, the TRF 201, but the standard would have for as well with the right spacers

• Like 1