Busdriver

CC02 gear ratios

Just taken delivery of a CC02 Unimog. Not going to start building it yet but dug the instructions out to look at pinions. It comes supplied with a 16t mod.6 pinion which sits slap bang in the middle of the available ratios by using the two different gear ratios. What experience of these do people have. I’m not looking for a rock crawler nor a racing car so I thought I would get steel 16, 18 and 20 tooth pinions that should give me a pretty good spread to try out?

• Like 1

My G500 turned up this week after settling my debts with HMRC! Was going to ask the very same question, I ordered a TR tuned from Japan as I was buying other random stuff, I’m looking to build more of a trail truck than crawler and wanted to get all the bits ready before I start the build!

On my CC02 I used a 25T pinion on the low speed option for a gear ratio of 18.74. I am using large Maxxis Trepador tires (about 115mm diameter). This was paired with a 55T motor + HW1080 ESC and gives me about jogging speed with sufficient torque to easily climb very steep slopes. I personally find reducing torque important otherwise you can stress/strip gears if the car is stuck and with the 55T it can still climb everywhere and have adequate tire speed.

I recently went for a hike on fairly rough/sloped terrain and the setup gave me 11km on a single 3600 mAh NiMh pack (no drag brake, this is a power hog!). The 55T motor is great in reducing the weight of extra batteries I have to carry during the hike, just needing 1 extra pack.

I'm using a hard-coated 25T pinion because I'm finding larger tooth steel pinions harder to find. If you use a 16T pinion + 35T motor, you should get about equivalent speed compared to a 25T pinion + 55T motor but with a bit more torque and power consumption.

1.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

On my CC02 I used a 25T pinion on the low speed option for a gear ratio of 18.74. I am using large Maxxis Trepador tires (about 115mm diameter). This was paired with a 55T motor + HW1080 ESC and gives me about jogging speed with sufficient torque to easily climb very steep slopes. I personally find reducing torque important otherwise you can stress/strip gears if the car is stuck and with the 55T it can still climb everywhere and have adequate tire speed.

I recently went for a hike on fairly rough/sloped terrain and the setup gave me 11km on a single 3600 mAh NiMh pack (no drag brake, this is a power hog!). The 55T motor is great in reducing the weight of extra batteries I have to carry during the hike, just needing 1 extra pack.

I'm using a hard-coated 25T pinion because I'm finding larger tooth steel pinions harder to find. If you use a 16T pinion + 35T motor, you should get about equivalent speed compared to a 25T pinion + 55T motor but with a bit more torque and power consumption.

1.JPG

I’ve ordered 16 and 18t and I have a 35t motor somewhere so I should be able to work something out.