See many posts now where Steel Pinion is among the Hop-Ups, so far i avoided learning about Pinion & gears as it very fast gets advanced and its not the most important thing to know about RC so i learnt other things first. So basic stuff first please, why would i change to steel pinion and what must i check to order same pinion as i use other than how many T(eeth) it have?,

• Like 1

Steel is harder and so more wear resistant than aluminium which not only deforms over time but will wear into a powder. This mixes with your grease and turns a lubricant into an abrasive and suddenly your plastic gears are suffering wear too. 

You need to know the gear pitch. This will either be MOD (metric) or DP - (diametral pitch, Imperial) then there is tooth count "T" as you mention and bore which will almost certainly be 1/8" or 3.175mm for 1/10 RC (occasionally its 5mm bore) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How many teeth and the size of the teeth. Size of teeth is given in modulus (often called mod).

If you tell us what car it is from someone will be able to tell you what to get.

You change the pinion because the Tamiya Aluminium ones are not very hard and will grind down, wearing down your gears in the process.

• Thanks 1

I currently have TGH, Agrios TXT2, Top-Force & recently a C-Avante for my daughter. TGH was ofc my way back to the Hobby again so i leave it since the best part with it is just looking at it, but sounds like Agrios & Top-Force should have a Pinion Upgrade then, i will read me up on the URL 

Not sure what TGH is. 

TXT2 0.8M

DF-01 0.6M

Not sure what a C-Avante but for a regular Avante chassis, 0.6M.

• Thanks 1

The GrassHopper :), my first kit after all these years starting up again had to be that Nostalgica Bombshell!, ofc also one off the worst to handle but thats just add to the sharm

26 minutes ago, simalarion said:

The GrassHopper :), my first kit after all these years starting up again had to be that Nostalgica Bombshell!, ofc also one off the worst to handle but thats just add to the sharm

Grasshopper is 0.8M. 

• Thanks 1

Stock Agrios is 19T, while browsing for steel pinions 0.8 now another term shows up exsmple 32P, what is that?, is that mm measurement Hobgoblin meantioned rounded up?. Edit;(Alvin also mentioned 32 DP, asume its the same)

9 minutes ago, simalarion said:

Stock Agrios is 19T, while browsing for steel pinions 0.8 now another term shows up exsmple 32P, what is that?, is that mm measurement Hobgoblin meantioned rounded up?. Edit;(Alvin also mentioned 32 DP, asume its the same)

You can use a 19T 32DP if you cannot find a 0.8M one but I believe 19T 0.8M ones are currently available. I was sourcing for 10T 0.8M and that was difficult and I ended up settling for a 32DP one instead. 

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

One more thing you may want to know is, depending on what size you want, 0.8M maybe harder to find and you can use 32DP, but you must use 0.6M for 0.6M.

• Thanks 1

Ended up with Tamico order as the Asia ones takes forever these days, shipping was half the price but quite decent if i hit correct on these 3 pinons for 25 GBP incl shipping:spacer.png

EDIT:OhMy, where is my manners. Thanks for Helping, cheers!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I've only a picture to add.....🙄

That is a DT-02/3 right? 

And that's the problem with Tamiya and their stupid pre set holes for the motor to mount. The mesh between pinion and spur is always too much imo. Same thing happened with my TL01 back years ago. Never had that issue with my TA03 even when running the butter alloy pinions, because the mesh had to be set !! 👍

James.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I've only a picture to add.....🙄

2021-03-06_09-30-17

That’s not bad. Just add some more cera-grease in there!

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

That is a DT-02/3 right? 

Correct!

It was a 'cheap' 2nd hand Holiday Buggy, that ended not being cheap....😳🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, simalarion said:

Ended up with Tamico order as the Asia ones takes forever these days, shipping was half the price but quite decent if i hit correct on these 3 pinons for 25 GBP incl shipping:

I had made the mistake of ordering from Asia a few times for critical parts like pinion and bearings and they arrived after I finished the kit, using locally sourced parts. But I am not sure why you will order from DE as their postage to UK is usually stupidly high. The same can be sourced in the UK for far cheaper. 

19T 0.8M

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/maverick-19t-pinion-gear-0.8-module-all-strada-evo--365405

21T 0.6M

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/schumacher-21t-steel-pinion-gear-0.6mod-437247

As you can see, they costs in the region of £4 each, postage is £2 - 3.50 for low value items, faster delivery and you will not get hit by import "fines". 

However, if you can wait and want to experiment with different gear ratios, Aliexpress has great sets. 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vNKF1q

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simalarion said:

“DP” is imperial, ie American. “Mod” is metric, ie every where else. Fortunately, 32DP is very close to 0.8Mod.  So close that for our use, they are basically interchangeable. I’m a stickler though and try to source Mod pinions. That said, I have some 32DP…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Correct!

It was a 'cheap' 2nd hand Holiday Buggy, that ended not being cheap....😳🤦‍♂️

Gear bag £5, pinion £4. What else is wrong with it? 

4 hours ago, simalarion said:

Stock Agrios is 19T, while browsing for steel pinions 0.8 now another term shows up exsmple 32P, what is that?, is that mm measurement Hobgoblin meantioned rounded up?

"32p = 0.7938mod

0.8mod = 31.75p"

• Like 3

One more thing to watch out for is “bore”, or the diameter of the hole running through the center. Most of the motors we use have the 3.17mm bore (silver can shaft diameter), but lots of new cars use higher power motors with a 5mm shaft, ie the pinions for those will have a 5mm bore. You can buy a 5mm>3.17 adapter though…

Just now, Frog Jumper said:

One more thing to watch out for is “bore”, or the diameter of the hole running through the center. Most of the motors we use have the 3.17 bore (silver can shaft diameter), but lots of new cars use higher power motors with a 5mm shaft, ie the pinions for those will have a 5mm bore. You can buy a 5mm>3.17 adapter though…

I had made that mistake before and for the cost of the adapter, I am better off just getting another correct pinion. 

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

I had made that mistake before and for the cost of the adapter, I am better off just getting another correct pinion. 

Oh yeah.  Pretty much…

@alvinlwh - im located in Norway Oslo so thats a no go :), i did spend some time looking in Norwegian Netshops but gave up. 

Thanks for sharing experiences all, really helpfull.