alvinlwh

Best way to TT02?

Ok, not quite the usual begaineer "What car to get?" question.

I already have a body to go, this body, I will not want to bash, crash and trash (if possible) like most of my other cars. It is a TT sized body, and I already got a TT-01, so considering a TT-02 (alternative suggestions like TA, etc will be considered if it fit).

So, I got a few options, I know Type S is the most recommended around here but not sure if it is overkill for my needs? I do not intend to go nuts with its speed, planned to just use either a Lightly Tuned or GT Tuned or some 21.5T BL in it. I will still go "big 3" on it.

Which of the following will you think is my best option?

£109 TT-02D

£135 TT-02S

£104 Cheapest TT-02 with body

£70 (sometimes) First Try TT-02

£60 TT-02 chassis with no motor (no problem!), ESC, wheels & tyres and foam bumper but has a heat sink 

TA, TB, and even TC chassis all fit the same body size, so perhaps you don't want to limit yourself to a TT02.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

TA, TB, and even TC chassis all fit the same body size, so perhaps you don't want to limit yourself to a TT02.

I understand that but what advantages do they have for what will effectively be a display model that can move about a bit, and slowly. Like I said, I can consider these, but will need a reason to spend more in them over a TT02.

I do intend to get a TA03R-S one day but that will be will a runner. 

30 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I can consider these, but will need a reason to spend more in them over a TT02.

There is no reason. You had written earlier that alternative suggestions would be considered if they would fit. I'm just confirming that they most likely do. Especially if the body doesn't have holes in it yet, and probably even if it does.

Work out what the big 3 are going to cost as options. Then do the maths ( sorry British) . The S has quite a few extras included and out of the box a good handling chassis but if it’s only really a display chassis  go for the cheapest you can get. Then add your big 3!! 

1 minute ago, DeadMeat666 said:

There is no reason. You had written earlier that alternative suggestions would be considered if they would fit. I'm just confirming that they most likely do. Especially if the body doesn't have holes in it yet, and probably even if it does.

Actually, while on the topic, will a M-05/7 built to long wheelbase fit? Yes, holes are in.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear earlier, will consider if there are reasons their added cost can be justified over the TT-02. In the case of M-05//7 is that it is a FF car, so these chassis are FF and they seem to be more available than TA/B/C.

2 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Work out what the big 3 are going to cost as options. Then do the maths ( sorry British) . The S has quite a few extras included and out of the box a good handling chassis but if it’s only really a display chassis  go for the cheapest you can get. Then add your big 3!! 

The big 3s are easy to work out. What extras the D and S have, well, I see different list at different places, and frankly, are they worth the added cost over the basic chassis?

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

Actually, while on the topic, will a M-05/7 built to long wheelbase fit? Yes, holes are in.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear earlier, will consider if there are reasons their added cost can be justified over the TT-02. In the case of M-05//7 is that it is a FF car, so these chassis are FF and they seem to be more available than TA/B/C.

The M-chassis cars even in their longest build have a 239mm wheelbase, which is still well shy of the required 257mm wheelbase of a standard 1/10 road car. They are also narrower than 185-190mm which again is the standard. So I'd say you can safely disqualify them.

Perhaps you could track down a used FF01 if the body is meant to be FF? The benefit being that it would be more realistic.

• Thanks 1

Don’t know about the D but the S is good. It seems to me that you either make a decision on ability or price. For show and go if probably go for a first try. For performance I’d go for S but bear in mind you will need one of the big 3 whichever you buy (i.e. steel pinion)

6 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

The big 3s are easy to work out. What extras the D and S have, well, I see different list at different places, and frankly, are they worth the added cost over the basic chassis?

The D is much better value than the standard 02, as it has full bearings, CVA dampers, aluminium heat sink, plated battery strap and a Sport Tuned motor in the box

The Type S is probably a more satisfying build due to the improved suspension, and more adjustable long term. For the sake of an extra £25 its probably worth it

• Like 2

Just now, DeadMeat666 said:

Perhaps you could track down a used FF01 if the body is meant to be FF? The benefit being that it would be more realistic.

I will try to, but with used car prices (1/1 or 1/10) going through the roof now, it may not be worth it.

Also, another consideration about the FF is, are parts easy to get (if I wish to upgrade, etc)? The TTs are easy as expected.

4 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

For performance I’d go for S 

With only a LT/GT/21.5T planned, will I be underutilizing the S I wonder? Kind of using a 3.8L V8 for the school run only. Oh wait, isn't that what parents do? :D

4 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

The D is much better value than the standard 02, as it has full bearings, CVA dampers, aluminium heat sink, plated battery strap and a Sport Tuned motor in the box

The Type S is probably a more satisfying build due to the improved suspension, and more adjustable long term. For the sake of an extra £25 its probably worth it

I do think the S will be a more satisfying build, but as I said to busdriver, will I be underusing the chassis. When I build, I have an end target in mind and try to choose the parts to meet with the end goal, if you know what I mean. This build, is meant to be a rolling display of a body, nothing special mind you, just of a car I used to own, so more display than speeding (done plenty of that in the 1:1 already) and bashing.

Hope I am not being difficult, I am just throwing this question out for discussions. The D does sound quite appealing since it already has 2 of the big 3 included,, and a bit more. 

Don’t know how clear these will be but it shows what’s in the S. you would only need a steel pinion to fulfill your big 3.

ECB52E03-2D66-4BA9-BF1D-70CD740CC6F9.jpeg.c06a22c8ffe421a2b5721a3a4320a09f.jpeg

Is it over top? No more than owning a 200mph super car in a country with a 70mph speed limit??? Also you can take your nice body off and put a cheap basher on it if you want a little more action. There are loads of 257mm bodyshells around from £15 -£60

53D2630E-1513-4A32-AFDF-59FF789656A5.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I will try to, but with used car prices (1/1 or 1/10) going through the roof now, it may not be worth it.

Also, another consideration about the FF is, are parts easy to get (if I wish to upgrade, etc)? The TTs are easy as expected.

Let me turn your question right back at you for giggles :D:

Considering that this "will effectively be a display model that will move about a bit, and slowly" why would you need to care about parts and upgrading?

Seems you already made your mind up to get a standard TT02, so why don't you just do that? :)

Just now, DeadMeat666 said:

Seems you already made your mind up to get a standard TT02, so why don't you just do that? :)

I had heard that the D is better value than stock, but I found no definitive list, not even from sellers. 

As for upgrades, well, knowing myself, I cannot resist screwing around no matter what, so will probably drop bits and pieces in here and there. 

Why I ask here? To throw the question out for discussion, and who knows? May swing me towards the S even. 

If the objective is to run local races it makes sense to get the higher grade trim (maybe), but for bashing with friend on a makeshift parking lot, etc, I'd spend the money elsewhere.  

Honestly if I was going to race again (which will never happen), I'd run AE again.  

TT02 is not bad.  For bashing around the house I recommend one of the rally bodies for slightly more ground clearance you can achieve without the car looking weird and tires it comes with, or just stick with TT02B..  

18 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

TT02 is not bad.  For bashing around the house I recommend one of the rally bodies for slightly more ground clearance you can achieve without the car looking weird and tires it comes with, or just stick with TT02B..  

The B will be well weird for the body I have for it. 

OK, @DeadMeat666 had swing me straight to the S by saying this "you'll be glad you don't have a bog-standard "EVERYONE has it" type chassis under your nice body". 

Thanks for all that join in this discussion. 

(see I had not made my mind up towards the cheapest and most basic when I asked the question) 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

The B will be well weird for the body I have for it. 

In that case perhaps keeping that nice body for a shelf queen might not be a bad idea.. 

The question was best way to TT02.. My answer is keep it as stock as possible.  It's a budget chassis excellent for bashing.  

2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

In that case perhaps keeping that nice body for a shelf queen might not be a bad idea.. 

55 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Is it over top? No more than owning a 200mph super car in a country with a 70mph speed limit??? Also you can take your nice body off and put a cheap basher on it if you want a little more action. There are loads of 257mm bodyshells around from £15 -£60

It is hardly a "nice" body, just one of a (1:1) car I used to own. My wife was pretty annoyed when I rolled "her" Swift body so that one is kept for display only now. Going to do the same for "my" car.

I wish I have a 200mph car, I only have a 140mph Mondeo, and even that feels over powered (for a kids wagon) and too thirsty with the fuel cost now with doing just over 40mpg. Seem like a good idea when I bought. Oh it chews tyres too, kind of like my Thunder Dragon and M-05. 

I suppose I can slap my weed wacker body on the S chassis if I want to take it out for a trash. 

Thanks for all the input. 

TT02D is a great value kit. It has the CVA dampers, bearings, Sports tuned motor and an aluminium heat sink. If you are just messing about and not racing then just go for that. 

As above if it's just messing around the street / odd carparks etc. The TT02D will be perfect. You won't even notice the suspension changes from the type s unless on a track or a super smooth carpark. 👍

James.

I think the D is the best value. As already said, you have to buy something for all of them and in this case its rubber tyres, but you can still use the drift tyres for a laugh. Although the big expense in top of the S is the body which you have. I guess the kit body becomes the basher if you get the D.

Do you already have a 21.5T brushless? Don't underestimate how fast they are, they just need gearing properly. You can run an FDR of 3 - 4 for a 21.5T, which i'm pretty sure will require the high speed gearset and Yeah Racing motor mount. If you don't have the motor, consider a 13.5T brushless as that should run well on standard gearing without stressing the motor

Def Type S if TT02 - @DeadMeat666 is spot on

This article offers more if you then want to tweak:

https://www.thercracer.com/2020/03/ultimate-tamiyacup-tamiya-tt02-type-s.html?m=0

Personally, I love the older TAs - and would recommend a TA03R-S TRF or TA04 TRF above a TT02 Type S ?

Both would be more expensive though - so the S is prob your best compromise for now 👍