Kol__

Black Friday

Having only go back into this hobby in Sept this year and previously it was the 90's, I'm wondering if there is usually much of a Black Friday offering from UK retailers? Granted this will be marred by the impact of Covid, particularly with the low stock levels of Tamiya stuff we've had of late. I've got some plans for Christmas builds/gifts so I'm thinking maybe I can pick them up later this month if there's deals to be had!?

Cheers:)

10 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Having only go back into this hobby in Sept this year and previously it was the 90's, I'm wondering if there is usually much of a Black Friday offering from UK retailers? Granted this will be marred by the impact of Covid, particularly with the low stock levels of Tamiya stuff we've had of late. I've got some plans for Christmas builds/gifts so I'm thinking maybe I can pick them up later this month if there's deals to be had!?

Cheers:)

I just got back from Tesco and was wondering the same too when I was in there and see the Black Friday posters. 

TBH, Black Friday is a yank thing, in the UK, Boxing Day sales is a bigger thing. 

2019:

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/blog/article/tamiya-black-friday-deals-landed-nov-2019/

Personally, I try to bring my kids up not to expect Christmas presents but we will go out buy something (when possible) on Boxing Day instead. 

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

I'm wondering if there is usually much of a Black Friday offering from UK

Only deal I've seen, but not a 'black Friday deal' is the Neo Fighter on Amazon for £75 delivered, and from what I've seen, cones with the torqued tuned, tble02s esc and CVA shock upgrades!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-10-Neo-Fighter-Buggy/dp/B00I92DJNQ

• Like 4

Oh no, has that horrible spectacle reached across the Atlantic now? My sincere apologies. Our chief exports seem to be tacky entertainment and rampant consumerism these days...

Myself, I haven't spent a dime on the day after Thanksgiving (I won't even use the term) in many years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Oh no, has that horrible spectacle reached across the Atlantic now? 

Not really. It was somewhat successful the first time (2010?) and then downhill after that. A easy way to gauge what are being sold is look on Amazon and quite often are those no-name China junk, which costs the same on or off sales. Feels more like a old stock clearance exercise than any kind of meaningful sale so most people don't bother anymore. 

UK retail is properly jumping on this band wagon, it’s morphed in to ‘Black November’ as a filler for the marketing departments calendar between Halloween & Christmas.

Apart from the Amazon deal already mentioned I searched Tamiya Black Friday deal & found a rock socker for £199 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Only deal I've seen, but not a 'black Friday deal' is the Neo Fighter on Amazon for £75 delivered, and from what I've seen, cones with the torqued tuned, tble02s esc and CVA shock upgrades!

Not sure if that one comes with CVA or not. Searching for the model number, UK stock does not, DE stock does. 

1 hour ago, J@mes said:

Apart from the Amazon deal already mentioned I searched Tamiya Black Friday deal & found a rock socker for £199 

Nice. But I really don't need three :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Myself, I haven't spent a dime on the day after Thanksgiving (I won't even use the term) in many years.

It's known as "Buy Nothing Day" up here in Portland. I've been practicing it for a couple of decades now. What amazes me is that "black friday" used to be jargon between businesses, spoken of in hushed tones. Now, just broadcast it from the rooftops why don't ya?

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Not sure if that one comes with CVA or not. Searching for the model number, UK stock does not, DE stock does. 

Interesting. 

This is what I bought last week. I didn't spot that the model number was different but thought it might lack some of these items. However mine came with CVAs, Torque Tuned and TBLE-04S. From Germany - couple of German stickers on the box. Excellent deal from what I could tell, so I ordered another "for spares". 

It's been advertised on amazon for £75 a while I think. 

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

One that's been delivered, seemingly has-

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158317421636024&id=693251023&set=gm.2836870616599065&source=57&ref=m_notif&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

This is what I bought last week. I didn't spot that the model number was different but thought it might lack some of these items. However mine came with CVAs, Torque Tuned and TBLE-04S. From Germany - couple of German stickers on the box. Excellent deal from what I could tell, so I ordered another "for spares". 

The Amazon ones come from EU, Germany, but actually has the same model number as the UK or even Asia or JP ones, probably, so it has the CVA.

"Dispatches from Amazon EU

Sold by Amazon EU"

I asked a similar question regarding the Racing Fighter before. If the Neo does, then it goes back on my wishlist as it is £10 cheaper. Could be a cheap thrasher, indeed an excellent deal!

It had been discussed before many times, different countries have different package. If you look on the side of your box, it will say ESC required. That's the default in JP (and Asia I believe). Yet most kits in Europe has the ESC included. This is thrown in (along with whatever extras) by the importer, which is why a "ESC included" sticker at the front of the box contraindicated the side. If you read your instructions, it may even list CVA as an optional upgrade item. 

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

Sorry, cannot see the link, probably due to privacy settings. In any case, UK ones don't seem to come with CVA. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-neo-fighter-buggy-dt-03-383086

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-rc-neo-fighter-buggy-model-kit/

Bizarrely, the WLM one list it as friction shocks yet pictures show CVA. This is the difficulty about finding out what a kit really contains. 

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58587/index.htm

Tamiya official description and pictures show friction shocks. 

3 hours ago, J@mes said:

UK retail is properly jumping on this band wagon, it’s morphed in to ‘Black November’ as a filler for the marketing departments calendar between Halloween & Christmas.

That is what is has morphed into here as well.  half the commercials it seems are for a dark sale of some sort during the months of November.  It started with Black Friday, then Cyber Monday rolled in, and now stores have decided to spread it over the month.

With a past history working in the fashion industry (photographer) we used to go absolutely nuts for Black Friday with our online retail. I've moved away from that industry now, thank god, but we still see Black Friday sales in many of the shops in the UK. It's started to creep forward to just be a sale for the entire month of Nov tbh, hence my query. Hope to get at least some discount from somewhere this month, going to get myself on some online model shop mailing lists I think! 

6 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Sorry, cannot see the link, probably due to privacy settings. In any case, UK ones don't seem to come with CVA. 

Someone receiving that Amazon UK, Neo Fighter delivery ,suplied with CVA, esc and torque tuned. 

(Doesn't say which esc ,presumed tble02s as that's what it used come with from Tamico, but from buggydad post, looks like it's a tble04s  , result!!!) 

Yup. And our other one, from just a few weeks ago, was the modelsport linked one - that has CVAs too. They're the same except TBLE-02S vs - 04S. And the German one came with an extra bottle of damper fluid and a really long antenna tube like we had back in the day. 

4 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Someone receiving that Amazon UK, Neo Fighter delivery ,suplied with CVA, esc and torque tuned. 

(Doesn't say which esc ,presumed tble02s as that's what it used come with from Tamico, but from buggydad post, looks like it's a tble04s  , result!!!) 

Bought from Amazon UK but delivered from Amazon EU. If you click on "Other sellers on Amazon Compare New (3) from £75. 13" then "See more" under £75.13" on the next page, you will see the true origin and seller of the goods. 

"Dispatches from Amazon EU

Sold by Amazon EU"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Yup. And our other one, from just a few weeks ago, was the modelsport linked one - that has CVAs too. 

Great, now even retailers cannot describe their goods properly. Did you return it for "not as described"? (just kidding) 

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Great, now even retailers cannot describe their goods properly. Did you return it for "not as described"? (just kidding) 

Chuckle. 

I had read somewhere that it came with them, so I got what I expected I think. 

3 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Chuckle. 

I had read somewhere that it came with them, so I got what I expected I think. 

At one point, the Neo was in my wish list but the official Tamiya description states friction, so I removed it. I guess I can add it back into my wish list now. 

21 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I hate you all. I am trying to sell but that price for another build it to good. If I use up leftover bits and paint then I think I can do a RTR charity build with this one again. 

• Like 1

When mine arrived last week with all the right bits in the box I went straight back on there and ordered another two. Luckily my fishing text to my bro suggesting he get his lad one for Christmas got a positive response so I'm now only guilty of buying the one extra kit for myself. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

When mine arrived last week with all the right bits in the box I went straight back on there and ordered another two. Luckily my fishing text to my bro suggesting he get his lad one for Christmas got a positive response so I'm now only guilty of buying the one extra kit for myself. 

I was tempted pre Brexit when Tamico had them for that price, but once you said it came with the, usable ,Tble04s, I ordered one...🙄

Black Friday really doesn't get covered in the RC hobby at all I don't think.

The 'best' deals I've seen around this time of year have been eBay, which for the last few days (and possibly still now) has 20% off on a few RC shops, such as align-trex, midlandhelis and homefairltd.

I tend to avoid align-trex now though, they usually put the prices right up for the sale, so people think they're getting a cracking deal (if they don't look around) but in actual fact even with the discount the prices are still usually higher than elsewhere.