Grumpy pants

Best Value New Kit To Build & Run.

I like the idea of buying a budget kit to build and run in our back garden.

I’m really looking for best overall value to build and run in fairly stock form and at the lower end of the kit prices. 

I’ve seen the thread with the DT03 @£75 which is amazing value, but what other options are recommended, must be Tamiya, available in the UK and ideally £100 or less.

You can't beat that DT-03 for its prie/value.

I got a comical Hornet from Amazon in Simmer for i think 99 Euros.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The DT03 is fantastic value, especially if it's the version that comes with CVA oil shocks (I see conflicting reports on that).  The full fat DT03 (with oil shocks and adjustable top arms) is a fabulous back yard basher and can handle bigger power if you take it into an open space.

Otherwise this is another one of those generic recommendation threads - what terrain do you have?  How big is the area, is it mud, grass, gravel, patio, or a mix?  How long is the grass?  What cars do you already have, and do you want something similar or something totally different?

Personally I prefer bigger wheels for garden bashing (my turf was newly laid a couple of years ago so naturally now it looks like a Roman lead mine in 1:10 scale), so I'd choose a monster truck or stadium truck, but not sure what's available in that price range.  My G6-01 is probably my most-used garden truck, followed by my TLT-based 2.2 monster truck.  The buggies and stadium trucks suffer too much on the grass (especially if I don't stay on top of mowing it).  You might be able to get a DT-03T or Mad Bull - they don't have full-size 2.2 monster tyres but the narrow chassis slide through the grass better than a flat-tub stadium truck like a Monster Beetle.

My WR-02 is good fun around the garden - the short wheel base make it very manoeuvrable in a limited space and the big tyres help it on the grass.  Downside - the wheelie-happy handling makes it roll over a lot.  I have an old lexan shell so I don't care it if rolls on the patio, but my daughter gets a lot of exercise putting it back on its wheels again.  A 4x4 version might be better balanced and roll over less, I've never owned one.  I've often thought all the stunt trucks would be better with a battery mounted lower and further forward.  With a good motor they should still wheelie just as well, but roll over less.

• Thanks 1

I've got the £75 DT-03. Mine came with CVAs, Torque Tuned and TBLE-04S so was tremendous value. I do agree it wants different wheels/tyres though. We've got truck ones for grass. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's very very hard not to recommend the DT03 at that price.

You could pay more for a less capable buggy but with more vintage flair perhaps, or less for the rising fighter, but then have to upgrade more? 

The other option would be a GF01, but that's outside your price. They are great little trucks however, and great for a garden.

• Thanks 1

I don't have experience with the DT-03, but our DT-02s have been absolutely fantastic, we bashed the snot out of them, mine brushless, my Dads brushed, worth breakages have been the bodyshell pretty much, just a few cracks is about it.

Now mine is a speed car which has gone 66mph and still on the stock gearbox, original gears, it's done maybe 150 passes of above 45mph and up to 66mph.

Had a 64mph crash which only broke the front shock tower, then a 66mph crash which bent an axle shaft on the front.

Really can't complain at that, it's such a stout solid little platform.

DSCF5824.jpg

DSCF5841.jpg

DSCF5849.jpg

DSCF5870.jpg

G0038799.jpg

G0058873.jpg

And now as a speed car....

20211111-133853.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Think the only answers you will get is either the Neo for £75 or Racing for £85. Unless you fancy a Rising Fighter! 

• Thanks 1

DT-03 is everything you could want for a started basher. The Rising Fighter can be found a couple of quid cheaper but it is pants to drive. 

Axle change and WR-02 wheels and you have a monster basher that beats the Madbull. 

• Thanks 1

All fair and decent replies, thank you everyone. 

Each chassis choice had its merits and fans and I can see why they have been out out there as options. 

The Rising Fighter feels to far down the r/c ladder for me to want one. I’ve been spoilt with time and money for r/c in a previous life 😊

I’ve had a DT02 Holiday Buggy, which was great and I really enjoyed, but a change would be preferred. 

GF06 is a firm favourite, but I’ve just sold a really nice Konghead  and  I’ve had countless WR02’s which I really like but a WW2 kit is best part of £140.

GF01 is another good shout, I had one a few years ago and I didn’t really get on with the constant end over end nature of it and I suspect it is out of budget.

The DT03 buggies aren’t the best looking and sticking Blitzer wheels and a truck body makes it a pricey option, but maybe selling the kit body and wheels could make this work.

The Madbull is another great shout, but to me it’s not much above a young r/cers truggey to me. 

I think the answer is either a DT03, suck up the looks and keep the grass short or dress up a Madbull to make look less toy like or dig a bit deeper and spend a bit more, which would possibly make me relook at a GF01 and set it up to drive more like a 4WD WR02.

Or maybe the Comical might be fun, I sold the kit I bought last year. 

I could just tinker with one my existing models and finish the little niggling jobs on them or brave up and run my pristine Sand Scorcher which fills me with dread 🤦

I’m going to check out the usual UK hobby shops and see if anything tempts me.

5 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

G0058873.jpg

Is it me or is that a roofless HB? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Correct, after breaking the top I decided to just take it off, I think it looked quite cool and at the time I couldn't find anymore replacement bodies, having already bought Tonys last 3 due to flipping and skidding while doing speed runs :D 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Dt03 and convert to a truck/stadium truck style?

An Aquashot with off road tyres pretty much 👍

19 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

An Aquashot with off road tyres pretty much 👍

If you want a roller chassis I have one I was thinking about selling . Aqroshot body and wheels.and bearings. Needs cva’s as currently on pogos. Pm if your interested. Going cheap 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Correct, after breaking the top I decided to just take it off, I think it looked quite cool and at the time I couldn't find anymore replacement bodies, having already bought Tonys last 3 due to flipping and skidding while doing speed runs :D 

Yah, I am considering if I should get a second body, while I still can at this time, for running and bashing now that I had completed mine. But since I am on 380, maybe I will be less prone to roll overs? 

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Yah, I am considering if I should get a second body, while I still can at this time, for running and bashing now that I had completed mine. But since I am on 380, maybe I will be less prone to roll overs? 

spacer.png

Yeah it should, we used to bash them pretty hard, well, for the limited speed they were doing back then anyway.

If you're still on the 380 I'm guessing you're only doing around 7-8mph maybe, so I wouldn't worry.

23 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

If you're still on the 380 I'm guessing you're only doing around 7-8mph maybe, so I wouldn't worry.

380ST I must add, about double the speed of the stock, based on specs numbers. Have not taken it out for a true run yet, still waiting for AM wheels and tyres to arrive and to convert the front to hex.

17 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

The phrase ‘beer money and champagne taste’ springs to mind 😂

That's my RC life. 😀

Edited by Aerobert
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

380ST I must add, about double the speed of the stock, based on specs numbers. Have not taken it out for a true run yet, still waiting for AM wheels and tyres to arrive and to convert the front to hex.

Which conversion kit are you using for the hex conversion?

I would avoid the Fastrax ones, it's very poor, the hexes aren't deep enough so you have to run washers on the rear and front of the wheel, then when you tighten them up the wheels become stiff and work themselves loose, then your steering goes all over the place.

I use it on my speed buggy and have to tighten them up after every 4-5 passes.

I wish there was a better alternative.

32 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Which conversion kit are you using for the hex conversion?

I would avoid the Fastrax ones, it's very poor, the hexes aren't deep enough so you have to run washers on the rear and front of the wheel, then when you tighten them up the wheels become stiff and work themselves loose, then your steering goes all over the place.

I use it on my speed buggy and have to tighten them up after every 4-5 passes.

I wish there was a better alternative.

I have the Fastrax ones and they are completely useless. 

I am going to try swapping the whole hub for a M-05Ra one. Others may work but that is what I have in hand and can check measurements. Will do a full write up when the parts arrive. 

23 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I think this is the Targa roof edition 😉

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I have the Fastrax ones and they are completely useless. 

I am going to try swapping the whole hub for a M-05Ra one. Others may work but that is what I have in hand and can check measurements. Will do a full write up when the parts arrive. 

I would really appreciate if you could tag me or shoot me a message if they work good and fit and any modifications needed.

I really need a more reliable solution.

Fastrax is absolutely trash.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, Mad Ax said:

The DT03 is fantastic value, especially if it's the version that comes with CVA oil shocks (I see conflicting reports on that).

One of these £75 kits arrived at mine today and it does have CVAs. Sweet! 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 10:20 AM, Grumpy pants said:

I like the idea of buying a budget kit to build and run in our back garden.

I’m really looking for best overall value to build and run in fairly stock form and at the lower end of the kit prices. 

I’ve seen the thread with the DT03 @£75 which is amazing value, but what other options are recommended, must be Tamiya, available in the UK and ideally £100 or less.

What sort of garden (terrain) and use?

I like the Madbull. Bigger tyres and better clearance, so better on grass. But still stable. Regular 2wd buggies lack clearance and will really bog on grass.

Lunchbox can be a riot too, but quite slow in stock 27 turn motor format. But if you up the power it'll need some upgrades too.

• Thanks 1