toyolien

Polybutler Pit Box (or other suggestions)

I'm looking at getting a new tool box to house all of my (mostly Tamiya) tools. Had a Polybutler 20 years ago whilst racing, and just spotted this Core version.

However, it looks from the pics to be a much more brittle plastic compared the original. Does anyone use one of these? Or, have any other recommendations for an all in one tool/pit box?

https://www.racing-cars.com/core-rc-polybutler-pit-box-red-cr830

cr830_1.jpg

Thanks

I know some who are using this, not sure if it has the space/compartments needed but it appears to be bigger by the dimensions for more storage and nearly £20 cheaper too.

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/corally-pit-case-4-assortment-box-drawers-universal-precut-foam-92556?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkNiMBhCxARIsAIDDKNX8JTienoMD3QHoJbrZmRoWY12svTp9qdhWV9q4qN8-KH_oQy_iUiEaAhFTEALw_wcB

I’m using a standard big tool box right now but when I outgrow that, I’ve been eyeing the Milwaukee Packout system at our local hardware store…

14 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I know some who are using this, not sure if it has the space/compartments needed but it appears to be bigger by the dimensions for more storage and nearly £20 cheaper too.

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/corally-pit-case-4-assortment-box-drawers-universal-precut-foam-92556?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkNiMBhCxARIsAIDDKNX8JTienoMD3QHoJbrZmRoWY12svTp9qdhWV9q4qN8-KH_oQy_iUiEaAhFTEALw_wcB

I looked at this. But don't need compartment boxes. If they were normal drawers it would be perfect. 

9 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

I’m using a standard big tool box right now but when I outgrow that, I’ve been eyeing the Milwaukee Packout system at our local hardware store…

I'll take a look, if they're available in the UK. 

34 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I'm looking at getting a new tool box to house all of my (mostly Tamiya) tools. Had a Polybutler 20 years ago whilst racing, and just spotted this Core version.

However, it looks from the pics to be a much more brittle plastic compared the original. Does anyone use one of these? Or, have any other recommendations for an all in one tool/pit box?

https://www.racing-cars.com/core-rc-polybutler-pit-box-red-cr830

cr830_1.jpg

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that is a Polybutler. Any differences in material might be down to the manufacturer. I was once told that this was originally designed as a case for paramedics.

I don't really see people using these for racing any more, the only ones I do see have the stickers on them that prove they were bought in the 80s or 90s.

Most people use a combination of a bigger hauler bag with a tool tray and various small parts boxes. I like Raaco compartment boxes.

Kyosho also make plastic pit boxes, as do Plano (but they are hard to find in the UK). But I've probably only seen one of either in my life.

Edited by sosidge
few more options

7 minutes ago, sosidge said:

I'm pretty sure that is a Polybutler. Any differences in material might be down to the manufacturer. I was once told that this was originally designed as a case for paramedics.

I don't really see people using these for racing any more, the only ones I do see have the stickers on them that prove they were bought in the 80s or 90s.

Most people use a combination of a bigger hauler bag with a tool tray and various small parts boxes. I like Raaco compartment boxes.

Kyosho also make plastic pit boxes, as do Plano (but they are hard to find in the UK). But I've probably only seen one of either in my life.

Thanks. It is a Polybutler but it was the material that I was concerned about. I've got a few Raaco compartment box which are fine for fixings etc. I just need something for all the building tools. Drivers, wrenches, shock stands etc etc...

For over 3 decades, I used a Tamiya Mini 4WD toolbox for my modeling needs. Then recently, my gear exploded. Now I use a under desk drawer unit for paints alone and the shed for tools. 

I use a steel cantilever tool box with 5 compartments.  It’s plenty of space to put most of my RC gear in.  

I was at the office yesterday so could not take a picture.  Here’s my RC tool box.  I’ve had this thing forever.  Single handle version, push down on the handle the box opens up, pull up on handle and the whole thing closes.  Super convenient.  

It is compact with only 37mm width, but can carry a lot of various tools.  Only tools I don’t include are damper pressure pump and soldering gear/heat gun.  

IMG_Nov192021at101539AM.jpg.f1b45830ffeb5ddd64eb734a04114294.jpg

IMG_Nov192021at101554AM.jpg.e5c75ff5658b8f81b969f1940b75c811.jpg

I have another portable tool box for the house a little larger than this one with similar tools but more focused on the house, along with soldering gear and voltmeters, stud finders, etc. 

Then the rest of my tools are in my garage.  I love tools.. it’s like a guys candy store when shopping for tools.  :D

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I was at the office yesterday so could not take a picture.  Here’s my RC tool box.  I’ve had this thing forever.  Single handle version, push down on the handle the box opens up, pull up on handle and the whole thing closes.  Super convenient.  

It is compact with only 37mm width, but can carry a lot of various tools.  Only tools I don’t include are damper pressure pump and soldering gear/heat gun.  

IMG_Nov192021at101539AM.jpg.f1b45830ffeb5ddd64eb734a04114294.jpg

IMG_Nov192021at101554AM.jpg.e5c75ff5658b8f81b969f1940b75c811.jpg

I have another portable tool box for the house a little larger than this one with similar tools but more focused on the house, along with soldering gear and voltmeters, stud finders, etc. 

Then the rest of my tools are in my garage.  I love tools.. it’s like a guys candy store when shopping for tools.  :D

I was the same I’ve given away literally cab-fulls of automotive tools to my son over the last couple of years & still got more than some tool shops :lol:

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mad Zero said:

I was the same I’ve given away literally cab-fulls of automotive tools to my son over the last couple of years & still got more than some tool shops :lol:

Haha! :lol: 

What's real sad in my case is I grew up in a household where tools were all junk, and when I became a dad I thought my two boys would be in heaven having access to all sorts of useful tools at home..

My kids have zero interest in 1:1 cars nor RC..  :o Wat the funk.. :lol:  that's life..

• Sad 1